PDA

View Full Version : Summit tomorrow via Lions Head

B-Bear
05-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I just joined this Forum today and am looking forward to learning more about MW and spending time hiking/climbing it.
I am doing a solo summit via the Lions Head trail tomorrow (Monday, May 21st). Anyone know if crampons are still needed? Any other comments/suggestions. I do have basic+ mountaineering experience.
Thanks.

Charlie
05-20-2007, 07:26 PM
i cant answer your questions but welcome neighbor I'm In Lancaster

are you going up for a vacation

B-Bear
05-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm here for just a few days ... preparing for a Mt. Kikimanjaro climb in July and need to hike as high and as much as I can fit in before that.

Charlie
05-20-2007, 07:38 PM
well have fun and be safe .with the way the cams look it looks like rain so i hope it stops for tomorrow.
when you get home post any pictures you have and let us know how your hike went .

kaseri
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I climbed to the summit on the 12th via Lions Head Summer route. There was snow in the trees but I was able to bare boot through it. Once I got to the snowfield I decided to use my crampons & axe but I could have traversed the section in bare boots & axe for safety. With all of the rain that has been falling I wonder what the conditions are going to be like tomorrow... I would bring the axe & crampons just in case.

Please, Please, Please report back to us on the condition of the Lions Head trail. I plan on another ascent via that route & any info you can provide on the condition of the trail is greatly appreciated.

B-Bear
05-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Here is an update on my hike on May 21st via Lions Head. Despite a light freezing rain half way up and ominuous clouds hovering over the mountain I successfully summited and had a great day! There was some slushy snow on the lower parts of Lions Head and on the summit dome but bare boots were adequate ... although I did periodically pop on my "Trek Trackers" (well worth it for $20). A mountaineering axe is handy on Lions Head and the dome.
I'll post some pics if I can figure out how.
Hike safe!
Don

kaseri
05-24-2007, 07:34 AM
How was the snow on the trail in the trees? Did you have any trouble with the snowfield or has it melted away?

kaseri
05-26-2007, 05:18 AM
Any pics yet??

:)