PDA

View Full Version : I need Help!!!

Andrew
08-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Alright, I need only people who have climbed in the white mountains in the winter to help me here. I am planning on climbing Mt Washington via lions head trail durring the winter. Other than the crampons and an ice axe, what clothing/footwear should i have on? You know...a list of stuff i should be sure to have haha.

Thanks,

-Andrew-

Nin
08-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Have you checked our Winter Visits to Mount Washington (http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/winter.php) page under About > Visitor Information? The first link includes a list of clothing you should consider bringing.

-- Usual winter warnings apply --

Andrew
08-13-2006, 11:32 AM
hmm, i've neaver seen that...this answers all my questions, thanks!

rockin rex
09-15-2006, 10:18 AM
The cat knows. The most important thing is to climb it with someone. If this is your first time do NOT go by yourself. The other concern is your feet. With out feet you go no where. Good winter expedition boots are a must that can attach with full crampons. The rest is common sense. Just expect the worse weather and plan that way. It is always better to bring it and not use it rather then need it and not have it. Almost forgot one other extremely important item you must have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A compass and a set escape route in case of storm moving in. Washington in winter can be deadly if not prepared. If prepared it can be a trip of a life -time. Enjoy if you do it and have fun.

Twelch
01-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Right on, Rockin' Rex. On the subject of going with another person, if you're new to winter climbing on MW or its neighbors, go with someone who has had some experience. Nothing is sadder for first responders to emergency situations than to find a group of well intentioned climbers, some with equipment they didn't know how to use, who "DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THEY DIDN'T KNOW" and got themselves into big trouble.

climbabout
01-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Andrew - all the previous replies here give solid advice. You might want to read the thread a few down from yours titled Climbing Washington if Fall and Winter - lots of good discussion and great advice in that thread from several points of view. Keep in mind that the weather on Mt Washington can turn deadly in a matter of minutes - there's no substitute for experience when your life is at stake - good luck.
http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228