PDA

View Full Version : safety question...

Bergman
06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
are their any poisonous snakes in the area to look out for?

Bill O
06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Not that I know of.

But, even if the answer was yes, I wouldn't change a single thing about the way I travel in the White Mountains. About 12 people a year die in the US from contact with snakes.

Patrad Fischroy
06-04-2007, 03:25 PM

From my recollections there are only a few of the two legged variety that I would be concerned with. And they are not generally associated with the mountain.

Lizz
06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
From my recollections there are only a few of the two legged variety that I would be concerned with. And they are not generally associated with the mountain.
I think they can be found at the Red Parka on Saturday nights.:D

IBBY!
Lizz

Mike D
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM

I've been told that rattlesnakes are native to New England, inhabiting rocky crevasses in cliff faces. I have never actually seen a rattler in the Whites, nor have I talked to anyone who has.

Bill O
06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I've been told that rattlesnakes are native to New England, inhabiting rocky crevasses in cliff faces. I have never actually seen a rattler in the Whites, nor have I talked to anyone who has.

Its a concern for rock climbers in Connecticut.

Some quick research shows Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes in CT. Both are extinct in NH and severely threatened in CT.

As long as its not biting my hand while I'm 30 feet above my last piece of protection on a lead climb I would love to see a rattle snake in Connecticut.

Steve M
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Growing up in CT I almost lived in the woods as a kid and I never saw a rattler. I have seen copperheads and Water Moccasins though.

Welcome back Bill.

Bill O
06-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Growing up in CT I almost lived in the woods as a kid and I never saw a rattler. I have seen copperheads and Water Moccasins though.

Welcome back Bill.

Thanks, things seem to be going well here.

Steve M
06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks, things seem to be going well here.
Yea, Fifteendays seems to have held it all together fairly well.;)