PDA

View Full Version : The Osceolas 6/2/07

KD Talbot
06-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Saturday was warm and hazy. We took the Greeley Pond Trail to the junction with the Mount Osceola Trail, then made the steep climb to the wooded summit of East Osceola. The trail was damp, but not wet, mud was easily avoided. There was no difficulty making the brook crossings. There was no snow or ice left on the trail between summits. Blackflies were only mildly annoying and along the Greeley Pond Trail and the lower sections of the Mount Osceola Trail the Red and Painted Trillium was everywhere we looked. Complete report and photos are here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns4000/osceolas6207/osceolas6207.html

KDT

fifteendays
06-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't know what it is about the Osceolas, but I don't think there is a vista in New Hampshire that rivals the view when you are driving the Kanc west towards Lincoln, you come over the pass, come around the bend and... Osceola. There it is. Or when you're driving east towards Conway, you round the hairpin turn, climb the hill and... Boom. Osceola.

I don't know why, but it remins me so much of the Rocky Mountain west. Maybe because that valley is so wide and the peaks are so defined.

I could drive that stretch of road every day and still be impressed. But then again, I drive to work in North Conway every day and Mount Washington still impresses me.

Scot
MWO Staff