PDA

View Full Version : New anti-spam measures

Mike D
06-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi Folks,

you may have noticed that the flood of forum spam has suddenly stopped. Bill O was doing a great job of controlling the spam as it emerged, but his brief absence made it clear we had to make some changes.

The changes we made will not affect our current users. When a new user signs up, their first few posts will be held for approval by a moderator. Now, rather than playing catch-up all the time, we are always ahead of the spammers. We felt that this step would be a minor inconvenience to new users and a huge benefit to everyone who hates spam.

It has worked very well so far, but spammers are crafty and constantly look for new ways to perpetrate their nefarious deeds. Feel free to voice your opinion on the subject.

Sincerely,
Mike D
MWO Forum Administrator

Bill O
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Seems to be working well.

Maybe we should put a sticky or thread in the "Forum Rules" forum.

Gorque
06-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Great news!

A big hearty "Thank You" :)

climbabout
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Bravo!
Tim

Charlie
06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
thank you very much :D

Charlie
06-11-2007, 03:14 PM
i would also like to see having another moderator to help with this .

I'd recommend brad because of his commitment to this site .:) :) :)
thats if he will take it ;)

Brad
06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
The other option would be to not allow Bill O to take a vacation from the board.

The pre-post review is a better alternative.

Steve M
06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
i would also like to see having another moderator to help with this .

I'd recommend brad because of his commitment to this site .:) :) :)
thats if he will take it ;)
I am also very happy for the changes made! I agree with hawk and although I am willing to help out and do what I can for the benefit of this site I must put others first who have been here longer and have seniority.

Brad would be a great choice!

Brad
06-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Brad is already committed. Well, lets get back on topic here. I have enough trying to keep up with moving image files from current albums to the archives each day. I have a friend who said he would write me a little program to handle these chores. However, I can not find him any more.

If MWO would just e-mail each camera's images, as they are updated, off to an e-mail address for each archive - then I would not have to move the files by hand every day. Oh well, we have been over that sand dune before. Maybe someday.

With the uploading process I have it runs every 5 minutes and checks to see if that specific image has already been uploaded. The process of getting the directory listing gets to take too long when the albums are too full. So, for my manual process I must keep the current albums cleaned out by moving them to the archives.

Did I deflect the suggestion well enough?

Steve M
06-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Hey Brad, I think we get the point:D

Brad
06-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Brad, I think we get the point:D
... that Brad should be committed.

If the archive uploading process would be automated, I would gladly be another moderator. Someone has to watch after Bill O.

RI Swamp Yankee
06-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi, I am a longtime reader here and finally decided to register here just to comment on the moderation to prevent spam. I have seen the spam, and seen it vanish. I know running a forum and keeping it clean is a lot of work and the admins and moderators should be commended for their work in keeping this site clean. Moderating the first few posts, untill someone is known, seems like a great way to handle the situation.

I am not a climber but I love reading the comments from the regulars here about their exploits and I love Mount Washington. I expect you will see a few posts from me in the future.

Steve M
06-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Welcome aboard, RI Swamp Yankee!

Post till' your blue!!!:p

Brad
06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the group! I grew up in Cranston and Warwick - and sailed all over the Bay. A wonderful sailing area.

RI Swamp Yankee
06-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome WSR88D and Brad.

Cranston and Warwick !, you were just up the road a bit Brad. I agree, the bay is great for sailing. That view from your cam looks like a nice area for sailing too.

Patrad Fischroy
06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
It has been a little over a week of gloriously spam-free postings on this site. Kudos to the administrators for their work. Any stats on the numbers of blocked messages to share with us?

Bill O
06-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Something else is going on. I'm only deleting a fraction of the spam messages I used to. I think its harder for the spammers to get into the forum. And they're less willing to post when they realize it's never going to get read.

Mike D
06-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Assuming spammers are just bots (i.e. lacking human intelligence) I don't think there's any way for them to know that their posts will never be read.

Well, now that I think about it, there's a foolproof method they could be using. If the spam-bots never see their own posts, then they know (after the fact) they're wasting their time. Perhaps we've been taken off the "spammable forum" list.

BTW, the CAPTCHA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha) ("type the characters you see in the picture") in the join form has always been there, and there are no new hurdles for joining the forums. The spammers must be learning that they are wasting their time.

Something else is going on. I'm only deleting a fraction of the spam messages I used to. I think its harder for the spammers to get into the forum. And they're less willing to post when they realize it's never going to get read.

Bill O
06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
How do the bots get by the CAPTCHA?

hobbes
06-21-2007, 12:29 PM
How do the bots get by the CAPTCHA?
Plenty of software out there to do captcha OCR.

Trekker
06-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes, a hearty welcome to RI Swamp Yankee!!
I'm from northeast CT - Oneco - and love the coast of Rhode Island. As a matter of fact, we'll be camping, in a few weeks, at Burlingame State Park - a long time favorite - of course just a few weeks before heading back up to the White Mtns. for some more wonderful, above-treeline hiking!! It's tough, running between the ocean and the mountains. I want BOTH!

M_Six
06-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Glad to see the new spam measures in place. I'll never understand how any spammer can look at him/herself in the mirror every morning.

Steve M
06-23-2007, 03:37 AM
Yes, a hearty welcome to RI Swamp Yankee!!
I'm from northeast CT - Oneco - and love the coast of Rhode Island. As a matter of fact, we'll be camping, in a few weeks, at Burlingame State Park - a long time favorite - of course just a few weeks before heading back up to the White Mtns. for some more wonderful, above-treeline hiking!! It's tough, running between the ocean and the mountains. I want BOTH!
So that's where Oneco is. When I was a teen ager I was on a pit crew for an auto racing team and almost every Friday night we were racing in Stafford Springs Motor Speedway.