PDA

View Full Version : Ice in Huntington Ravine?

Trekker
06-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Does anyone out there know whether it would be possible to hike up Huntinton Ravine this coming weekend without crampons?

billysinc
06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Here's a picture of Huntington from Mt. Hight I took on Friday. Looks clear.

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/300547.jpg

Plus one of the trip reports from VFTT doesn't mention any ice.

Trekker
06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks -
This looks promising . . .
Now if the flowers will only bloom along the Alpine Garden trail - my life will be complete . . .

Andrew
06-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Where in CT are you from?, i'm not familiar with that town

Trekker
06-19-2007, 04:09 PM
It's NOT a town. Oneco is one of those tiny villages WITHIN a town. In this case the town is Sterling, CT, up in the northeast corner. We DO have our own post office, making us an entity unto ourselves, but don't blink too quickly - there are no stop lights in Oneco and barely two intersections considered "in town". We are the unknown "quiet corner" of Connecticut - mostly small farms that are dying out and selling out to developers, feeding the building boom for folks working in Providence, Hartford and Worcester, as well as all the surrounding small towns that offer any employment. (I work in Worcester - an hours drive away).
But my heart is in the White Mountains - about 4 hours away.
And just in case anyone is still wondering about the conditions in Huntington Ravine, I DID manage to get up there this past weekend, and there IS some snow and ice here and there in the ravine - nothing that would prevent anyone from hiking in, but small patches here and there in the deep pockets around the trail.
Fascinating! It seems hard to imagine that there are parts of New England still in "Spring" conditions - but the Alpine zone is. And a good many flowers WERE blooming. A great trip overall . . .