PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

Mario
06-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I had a few questions:

1. What are the closest campgrounds near Mount Washington?

2. Is there any service for cell phones on Mount Washington?

tkahike
06-14-2007, 01:46 AM
I had a few questions:

1. What are the closest campgrounds near Mount Washington?

Dolly Copp (http://www.campsnh.com/dollycopp.htm) is the closest to the Auto Road side, which is where I always stay. Others might know of private or others on the 302 side.

Cell service is spotty in the area. As you go towards Gorham you will be fine, I can never get signal at Dolly. But there are two pay phones near the entrance.

Brad
06-14-2007, 05:00 AM
It may depend on which carrier you are using. Cingular in NH is spotty. On Mt Washington it is almost non-existent. But then on some days it is fine. It would not be something to depend on.

KD Talbot
06-14-2007, 06:29 AM
State run Dry River, is close on the western side near Crawford Notch, Bretton Woods and the Cog Railway. Dry River has showers and flush toilets. http://www.nhparks.state.nh.us/ParksPages/campgrndsHome.html

There are a few private CGs along 302, also.

Moose Brook and Dolly Copp are close on the north and east sides near the Auto Road. Moose Brook has showers, toilets and a place to swim. I haven't been to Dolly Copp in years and I'm not sure what amenities they may have now, but it is the closest to Pinkham Notch and MW.

http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundSearchResult.do?topTabIndex=CampingSpot

KDT

Mike D
06-14-2007, 10:19 AM
There's a campground at the entrance to Zealand Rd on 302 near Twin Mountain. The Willey House and Crawford Notch Campground (name?) are along the same route progressing South. There's also a campground on Rt 2 near Gorham called Moose Brook I believe. There are two campgrounds just North of the 302/16 junction in Glen, one on each route.

I'm told that Verizon gives the best cell signal on Mt Washington.

Steve M
06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Are you planning on tent camping, pop-up, or RV? Are you looking for some place just to sleep at night or something for the family? I'm not sure if you can use a pop-up or RV in the Park system camp grounds. If you are looking for a more family oriented campground then check out these sites. There are lots of options.

http://www.directorynh.com/NHLodging-Campgrounds/NHCampground.html

http://www.nhliving.com/camping/whitemtns.shtml

http://www.nhparks.state.nh.us/ParksPages/franconianotch/lafayette.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/developed_campsites.html

http://www.ucampnh.com/dir-wm.asp

I'm sure you can find something for you on one of these sites!

kaseri
06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Cell reception is spotty at best.

KD Talbot
06-14-2007, 08:46 PM
State and WMNF Campgrounds can handle popups, but usually there are limited spaces. Most will take a few RVs too, but there are few spaces for these, and there are no hook ups. Dolly Copp, Dry River, Moosebrook, Zealand and Sugarloaf are all good choices.
KDT

Steve M
06-14-2007, 11:32 PM
I have Verizon Wireless and Get good reception around Conway, N.Conway area. I don't have too much trouble anywhere else either except down in the notches. I made a call to my wife last year from Mizpah Spring Hut on my cell and had good reception but signal dropped off at lower elevations on Crawford Path.

Brad
06-15-2007, 05:33 AM
In our area of western Maine friends with Verizon have pretty good coverage (there are still dead spots). Cingular is great when you get to the Lake Sebago area around Portland. But, in western Maine and much of NH we have found that Cingular is very spotty. At our cabin in Maine we can not get a signal from Cingular at all.

On the other hand, we find data coverage on Cingular to be far better than Verizon. My son, daughter and I have PC Cards for our laptops. So, we can connect to the Internet from wherever we are without looking for a Wi-Fi signal or getting a friend's security code - including from the car. Verizon is good in bigger cities. But Cingular has better coverage in between cities. NH is still a challenge.

I would expect Verizon phones to work better when hiking on Mt Washington.

KD Talbot
06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
There's some great articles in the summer/fall issue of Appalachia (the AMC journal which comes out twice a year). In particular "Giving Ourselves Time to Track Time" by Laura Waterman, Guy's wife.

"Hikers coming to the mountains these days are dealing with some very complex time issues. The temptation is to multitask. You're "just" walking up the trail, so you could be talking to your secretary or your business partner or even your mother at the same time. Or, you could be listening to your iPod.

Well, sure. But if you do, you're no longer aware of the birds or noticing the undergrowth or paying attention to the play of light and shadow across the path you're walking on. If you're with someone—your friend, your spouse, your child—you're not paying attention to them, either. Even though you're at this moment walking through the woods and in nature, you're not part of it. You're disconnected. You're absorbed only in listening to the words, the tunes, coming into your ear, and you're missing all the wildness that surrounds you. You're disconnected from your friend, spouse, child, too. In fact, you're disconnected from yourself because you're mentally in the space of the phone call or the iPod program and physically in the woods. You've split yourself.

Thinking about this makes me ask: How can we care for land, for wild land, if we disconnect ourselves from it—even when we're in it? How can we truly care for that to which we aren't connected? If we don't want this kind of disconnected relationship to land, what can we do?

We can stop. We can just stop! If we don't want to disconnect and experience those fractured feelings that leave us unhappy, dissatisfied, then ... connect. Restraint is necessary here, even modification of habit.

(Memo: On the next mountain trip leave the cell, the iPod, etc., at home.)

Now that we've put ourselves in a position to connect, we can feel respect, for surely we can't care for that for which we feel no respect. By feeling respect for the woods, the land, wild land, wildness itself, we'll be giving ourselves time to be fully in it. We'll feel respect for time itself because we're giving ourselves time to savor it. And this leads to the most important thing of all. We can respect ourselves. We're no longer clumsily fighting time, but by gracefully being in ourselves, in the land, and in time, you might say we've put ourselves in a state of grace."

Enough said. Thanks Laura.

KDT

Steve M
06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Kevin,

I'm glad you shared that article because it is true. Technology has robbed us from being able to disconnect from the busyness of life and to truly relax and enjoy our surroundings and family. We, as a society, need this time to be alone with ourselves and families and nature so we can stay connected to what matters most in life. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the technological advancements as much as the next guy but self control is key here. Take the cell phone with you but shut it off or leave it in the tent. Use it only for something critically important. Allow the natural surroundings to fill your senses and capture your soul. There is so much more to life than our modern conveniences. I have been there in that I used to "live" behind the computer. It took up all of my time outside of work and even when I would go on vacation I would still be on the phone or laptop. I can tell you from experience that it does not make for a happy family. :mad:

RI Swamp Yankee
06-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Good article. While the technology is nice, when I go for a walk in the woods I want to experience the woods, nature and the place that I am in and what it contains.

rockin rex
06-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't have a cell phone nor will I ever have one. I won't get into the reasons why here, it is not the place. I will only say the last thing I want to hear in the woods or at night in a shelter is someone on a cell phone. If you feel you need it for an emergency then leave it in your pack and use it for that purpose only. I don't understand why people need to use cell phones in the back country unless it is for an emergency. What did people do before there were cell phones????

Trekker
06-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I've found Verizon to be very spotty on Mt. Washington. There have been times that I've got very good reception while sitting on Lion's Head - but just this past Saturday, with great visibility and next to no wind, I couldn't make a call from the same spot . . .
And still couldn't from Pinkham Notch either.
It's truly in and out . . .