PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy

emission
06-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Bikers read these forums too!

Dan Harnos wrote today-
Leather clad motorcyclists and the roar of motorcycles effectively took over the summit today for the Auto Road's "Ride to the Sky." While going on a brief walk today down to the helipad with Maria to take care of some maintenance, a continuous stream of bikes streamed by, rendering conversation utterly useless. The lots up here were also predictably packed from end to end with them as well (see photo). It certainly was a different atmosphere up here on the summit, but needless to say everyone was great and it certainly was a pleasure chatting with the visiting bikers. And on top of that we had a great day down in the museum and shop which is always a plus for us up here!

The weather couldn't have been better today as well, as we awoke to some patchy undercast before the clouds lifted for the afternoon. Now we're finally in the clear for the most part, with just a few patchy clouds around. I've been actually able to learn some visibility markers which I'd been lagging behind on, due to last week's shift being almost exclusively in the clouds. The weather has certainly put everyone in a great mood and is welcomed by all as we can get done some important maintenance tasks which require dry conditions (in addition to simply not feeling trapped by the clouds). Just keep your fingers crossed for us that the pattern holds!
Dan Harnos – Summit Intern

Dan Harnos' mixed comments about the "Leather Clad" bikers visit to Mt Washington provide a bit of insight to the feelings some hold toward bikers and perhaps a bit of snobbery as well. After dismissing the 'constant stream of bikers making conversation uselss' Harnos was happy to note the higher gift shop sales generated by the noisy visitors.
It must be traumatic to have mechanized monsters invading the pristine solitude of your sanctuary. They call it the Auto Road for a reason Dan. Last time I looked the pristine mountain had a number of smoke belching coal fired cog trains running up and down the side of it as well. Are you able to talk over that noise Dan? I'll bet the money these leather clad devils forked over for the privilege to ride up and down YOUR mountain will come in handy this fall when fueling up and maintaining the snow cat that hauls your mentors to and from the observatory.
Perhaps the intern needs to learn a bit of diplomacy and leave out the personal bias when commenting on daily observations.

emission

Bill O
06-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Did you miss this part:

It certainly was a different atmosphere up here on the summit, but needless to say everyone was great and it certainly was a pleasure chatting with the visiting bikers. And on top of that we had a great day down in the museum and shop which is always a plus for us up here!

I think you read his comments the wrong way. Its easy to infer a tone when none actually exists, especially when reading text.

And, for the most part, all of his statements were true...and he never used the word devil.

Most motorcyclists wear leather, its safer.
Motorcycles are incredibly loud. An order of magnitude louder than cars.
They come in large numbers to the summit.

Everybody who works on the summit enjoys bike day. Its just plain good for business. I have nothing against bike day or any motorcycles.

Rich
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Motorcycles ARE loud and leather IS the material choice of most bikers. Simple facts.

Dan said NOTHING bad about bikers, not one negative statement. He actually commented on how nice it was to chat with them.

Am I missing something?

Steve M
06-15-2007, 08:04 AM
I read that Comment by Dan BEFORE I entered the forums this morning and I in no way felt he was being snobby or looking "down" at the bikers. Some people feel like most people look down at bikers all the time so it would be easy to take Dan's comment the wrong way.

Bikers are people too!!:D

Mike D
06-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I'll bet the money these leather clad devils forked over for the privilege to ride up and down YOUR mountain will come in handy this fall when fueling up and maintaining the snow cat that hauls your mentors to and from the observatory.

The Observatory is a non-profit organization that does not profit from Cog or Auto Road ticket sales. Nor are we state-owned or taxpayer funded. These misconceptions are the biggest obstacle we face as an organization.

Of course, our Museum patrons are Cog and Auto Road customers too, which aids our scientific mission considerably, but I can't tell you how many families feel tapped out by the time they reach our $3 museum.

KD Talbot
06-15-2007, 11:29 AM
All sorts of people love to come to Mount Washington, and the feelings about this place are as different as the people. I wonder if "Emission" would offer me the same "Diplomacy" he seeks? If it were up to me I'd shut down the Cog and the Auto Road, remove the buildings and radio towers, (sorry observers) and return the mountain to the "pristine solitude of "my" sanctuary". I'd make it a "snob" mountain, only reached by grit and determination, like the rest of the White Mountains. But, until I am king of the mountain, I will just stay off the summit when it's crowded and enjoy the rest of it. Besides, the best parts of this mountain are not on the summit, nor reached by anything but foot.

KDT

Charlie
06-15-2007, 10:30 PM
i agree i did not see any thing wrong with his comments .

so emission explain whats wrong :confused: :confused: :confused:

Brad
06-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Some of my best friends are "bikers". I hired one to work for me - long hair - many earrings - leather on to head out the door at night - for a large corporate position. He was very good and a great find. Later I helped get him to become my manager. What "car" he rides does not matter to me. Who is is, how he treats other people, and how well he does the job is the important thing.

Like the comments said, I have found biker groups to be very nice folks, fun to meet and talk with.

Joey Keyz
06-17-2007, 01:33 AM
Being in a band, I get to meet a lot of bikers. They defiantly get a bad rep. I don't know why, they've always been some of the nicest people I've met in some of the clubs I've played at. They even had a few benefit gatherings that our band played at:

New England Vikings Motorcycle Club
Benefit for the needy during the holiday season
Portuguese-American Club
Taunton, Mass.

and

Fire on the Mountain Jam Benefit
Proceeds benefit the New England Organ Bank
Goffstown, NH.

Just to name a few............

Steve M
06-17-2007, 09:18 AM
I think the way the media and Hollywood had profiled the "biker" back during the Hells Angels era has had a lasting impact, tainting our societies view of bikers. There was a time in the 70's and 80's when bikers were feared and they had their own clubs in which if you weren't a biker you generally stayed away. I believe that era is mostly gone but some still fear or distrust bikers and some bikers still feel most people look down at bikers. I think that is changing and most people don't see it that way any more.

You know why they are called "Bikers"???

Because "Motorcyclists" sounds funny!!!:p :D

Bill O
06-17-2007, 09:31 AM
You're all wasting your time. Emission was a one time poster, who was obviously having a bad day.

I'm considering closing or deleting this thread entirely since this is a forum not a message board.

On a message board you leave a comment. On a forum you need to participate. Especially if you start the thread.

SunMessenger
06-17-2007, 01:38 PM
You're all wasting your time. Emission was a one time poster, who was obviously having a bad day.

I'm considering closing or deleting this thread entirely since this is a forum not a message board.

On a message board you leave a comment. On a forum you need to participate. Especially if you start the thread.
I agree with you completely.

Steve M
06-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Emission was a one time poster,
That is true but I'm sure he has been back to read this thread even if guised as a guest. Maybe he will see that we don't hate bikers. Or maybe he doesn't care, which is ok also.

Charlie
06-17-2007, 09:03 PM
well he was on at 1;40 today

I'm with you bill delete it

Joey Keyz
06-17-2007, 09:53 PM
No way! Leave it Bill. Just close it.

Like I said, bikers did a lot of great benefit concerts
with my band, and one was in the "Whites". They
didn't take a dime and we played for free also.

Close the thread, but let it be known that bikers
are not the bad people some make them out to be.

KD Talbot
06-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey, bikers are just like everyone else you meet, they're not all good, and they're not all bad. I grew up where there were rival factions of Angels and Disciples and there was plenty of bloodshed, believe me, and it's still going on. Not all bikers are Angels or Disciples, now are they? There were some murders at Bike Week just a few years ago by rival gangs, and I don't think they were Angels or Disciples, so saying it's not like that any more and they're all great people is like saying everyone on earth is a great person. There's good and there's bad in every group. Some gangs ride toys to Toys for Tots every Christmas.

I don't particularly like bikes. My kid nearly killed himself on one. I held him beside the highway waiting for the EMT's to come. This dosen't mean I hate bikers. I take everyone for what they are on the inside, not the outside. Same with bikers.

Emission is pretty thin skinned if those comments bothered him, he should wear more leather. I'm with Bill, end this thread, wrong forum.
KDT

emission
06-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I tried to comment but my post was deleted. I'm not going to write comments only to have the moderator delete them yet still allow others to complain how thin skinned I am etc. Thanks Bill .....Who's really thin skinned here.
I guess you know what you can do with your forum.
You may as well take me off your list as I certainly don't fit in with this bunch.
Thank God for small favors. Butterflies

Bill O
06-18-2007, 07:11 AM
I never erased any of your posts. So please, post away.

Rich
06-18-2007, 07:55 AM
I tried to comment but my post was deleted. I'm not going to write comments only to have the moderator delete them yet still allow others to complain how thin skinned I am etc. Thanks Bill .....Who's really thin skinned here.
You may as well take me off your list as I certainly don't fit in with this bunch.

This thread is silly.....

Emission,

I'm curious...while you were driving up and down the Auto Road and while spending your time on the Summit, what and how did you feel? What did you experience? I trust your answer is all GOOD thoughts, feelings and experiences.

Take those feelings with you and throw the negative vibes and your hatred of this forum into the Great Gulf (on the left on the way down the AR). Don't let some words get to you. Life's too short.....

KD Talbot
06-18-2007, 08:47 AM
When you put your opinions out in a public forum you have to be prepared for other peoples comments. Not everyone agrees on everything. I'm sure I've said things in this forum that few people agree with. I'm prepared to face that, and I don't sulk when people disagree with me. Differences are what make us all individuals. If everyone saw things the same it would be a boring world. If I take the time to articulate my opinions and try not to offend anyone I will still face disagreement, but my feelings will be known. I don't think anyone here has bad mouthed bikers. In fact, reading the posts and the original comment which sparked this thread I would say just the opposite, but everyone perceives things differently. I'd like you to articulate what it is that is so disturbing about the original comment. Are there untruths, or were your feelings just hurt? They shouldn't have been.

KDT

Charlie
06-18-2007, 08:37 PM

well i will be the first to say see ya :D