PDA

View Full Version : Ravines cam sunrise

Mike D
06-18-2007, 03:00 PM
For all of your members out there; the ravines cam video this morning is phenomenal. There's a whispy (terminology please) cloud undulating up and down in front of the summit. It's quite unique.

Bill O
06-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reminder. After I read Jon's nice comment this morning I went right to the north view cam sunrise. Which was nice too, but I totally forgot about the Ravines Cam.

Those clouds remind me of the wispy cirrus you see coming off really high and cold mountains. "Touching The Void" captured them in film quite well. Who would have thought Mount Washington in the summer.

Brad
06-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Of the 3 sunrise videos (North, Ravines and West) I like the West the best. They all run at the same time, but the views are very different.

Steve M
06-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Jon wrote about that cloud formation in the comments today, with pictures. It was great to see it caught on video as well. That was so amazing. I can only imaging how it was to see it in person.

Brad
06-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Jon wrote about that cloud formation in the comments today, with pictures. It was great to see it caught on video as well. That was so amazing. I can only imaging how it was to see it in person.
My son and I have been talking about going up Wildcat early to take pictures of the sunrise looking at the Ravines. I may have to do the trail and check it out - in the day time.

Brad
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
The Ravines sunrise video was wonderful this morning. Dark - light appearing - shadows sliding across the valley - summit lit up - then clouds rising up over the summit. So nice!

KD Talbot
06-19-2007, 05:53 PM
This would be a great hike but taxing to do before sunrise in my mind. The Wildcat Ridge Trail rises 2150' over 1.9 miles to the summit of Wildcat E, then descends to the summit area of the Wildcat Ski Area where the views are. It's a very steep climb with lots of dangerous ledges. It would probably be easier to climb a ski trail if climbing in the dark.

There is an awesome view of the ravines and Lion's Head from Square Ledge which is a much shorter hike. From Pinkham Notch it's .5 mile and 500' to the top. You can see just about all of Huntington Ravine and most of Tuckerman.

Just an option I thought I'd throw out there. If I were going strictly for sunrise pictures it's probably where I'd go. The view from the summit of Wildcat would be somewhat better, but not a huge difference.

The ravine sunrise this morning was excellent. I also liked the west view, with the clouds rolling straight at the mountain.

KDT

Brad
06-19-2007, 06:54 PM
There is an awesome view of the ravines and Lion's Head from Square Ledge which is a much shorter hike. From Pinkham Notch it's .5 mile and 500' to the top. You can see just about all of Huntington Ravine and most of Tuckerman.

KDT
Kevin,

I tried to find Square Ledge along the Pinkham Notch area and could not find it on my Topo map. Give me some clues where it is. Or is it going up the Glen Boulder Trail on the east of the road and continuing up the Wildcat Ridge Trail to a good lookout?

Steve M
06-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Brad, look on your Appalachian Mountain Club map of the Presidential Range, find the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center and it looks like the trail head starts very close to it right off Rt. 16. The trail actually branches off the Appalachian Trail shortly after you leave the trail head.

Brad
06-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Are you talking about this trail?

http://images26.fotki.com/v891/photos/8/8235/242566/SquareLedge-vi.jpg

Steve M
06-19-2007, 07:40 PM
That's the one, the side trail to Square Ledge shows up on the map found in the AMC Trail Guide.

KD Talbot
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Square Ledge is directly across from the entrance to Pinkham Notch parking area. If you look east from the parking lot you'll see a large, square granite outcrop. It's reached by taking the Lost Pond Trail, almost directly across from the entrance to Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. Square Ledge Trail breaks off northeast from Lost Pond Trail (the AT). Very nice spot at anytime of day. The last 100 feet are a scramble to get up it, and there is not a lot of room when you're on top. It is a shear drop off of it, so be careful. Definitely worth checking out, though. The one on your map is about where the trai is, but it doesn't loop back to the highway as it does on that map. You can actually see it on Google Earth. Find the entrance to Pinkham Notch parking lot and look to the right of it. Halfway between the parking lot and the southernmost trail on Wildcat you'll see a white spot. That's it! You can even make the trail out through the woods.

KDT

Brad
06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
The sunrise video this morning was cool. The clouds kept on forming right over the summit.