PDA

View Full Version : Technology oriented?

Brad
06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I love the outdoors - have a cabin in Maine - love to hike - take pictures of what I see. I appreciate nature and all around me. Many folks who live near us in Maine and folks we waterski with in the morning are in technology related jobs. CIO of a major company living next to the CIO of another company. Fellow who sold his software development company. Network administration people. Data warehouse and business intelligence consultants. Application development managers.

A lot of folks who like coming to Maine and NH to appreciate the outdoors are in technology (high pressure) jobs from what I see. What about you? Are you in the technology field?

I am. I am a manager of application developers at a financial services company. What about you?

kaseri
06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
CCNP here.

M_Six
06-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Manager of System Services - University of Illinois

WEMT
06-22-2007, 11:26 PM
(mostly) Retired CS Prof

Wilderness EMT

Charlie
06-23-2007, 10:24 AM
HVAC pipe fitter / metal duct ,work for the same company for 17 yrs.

climbabout
06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm in a low tech job - manager of an electrical supply and lighting distributor.
Tim

Steve M
06-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I guess you could call my job tech oriented. I sell and install some of the most advanced window and door products out there.

Mike D
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I am an IT professional at a small mountain-top Observatory.

Steve M
06-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Really, what mountain???:rolleyes:

Brad
06-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I understand. The top of the mountain is quite small. Mostly rocks too.

Mike D
06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, the pay isn't great, but we're the highest paid people in New England.

Brad
06-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, the pay isn't great, but we're the highest paid people in New England.
It is a stable position too. :cool:

06-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Systems Administrator for mid to large scale unix platforms. Currently working for a guy who once ran for president.

hobbes
06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Former CTO of a company in the Washington DC area, now a technology & management consultant based in the Valley.

Brad
06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Former CTO of a company in the Washington DC area, now a technology & management consultant based in the Valley.
Now that is cool. What is interesting is we do have several folks who are technology oriented. Not many here without a technology bent from what has been posted so far.

Mike D
06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Not many here without a technology bent from what has been posted so far.

I wouldn't make that conclusion. You did ask about IT specifically. You tend to find what you are looking for, and not what you're not. Ask about another profession, or post a poll.

Of course, people on any forum are likely to be tech-skewed. It's like asking people at the library if they like to read.

Brad
06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't make that conclusion. You did ask about IT specifically. You tend to find what you are looking for, and not what you're not. Ask about another profession, or post a poll.

Of course, people on any forum are likely to be tech-skewed. It's like asking people at the library if they like to read.
I looked for a way of doing a poll but did not find one. I participate on forums on other topics (photography, log homes, etc) and do not find that forum participants in general are tech-skewed. This forum does attract the tech-savvy folks - which I find different - which is why I posted my question.

tkahike
06-26-2007, 02:11 AM
I run a communications center for a police dept. covering 12 municipalities.

Lynntern
06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Environmental Engineering student....Attempting desperately to avoid a cubicle

Steve M
06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Environmental Engineering student....Attempting desperately to avoid a cubicle
here's a litle song for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqsWHpznsg&mode=related&search=

Patrad Fischroy
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
A little late to the show, but I work for an engineering firm, trained as a geologist, work in project management. I use tech, but not exactly in tech.

Brad
06-27-2007, 05:28 PM
A little late to the show, but I work for an engineering firm, trained as a geologist, work in project management. I use tech, but not exactly in tech.
It sounds to me that you qualify. My son in law is a hydro-geologist.

Patrad Fischroy
06-28-2007, 08:57 AM
As can probably be discerned from my posts, I do use a lot of GIS, mapping and GPS to model landforms. Mostly in boring flatlands, but for fun I do the same in the mountains. This forum has been a lot of fun, both to read and to participate in. I only wish that I were somewhat closer to the area to participate in the hiking and climbing more there. Although there is really more than enough fine climbing right here near home. The Whites just have a place in my heart. The tech that I have encountered here has been very informative, particularly the recent treatise on web-cams. I look forward to trying out some of the setups suggested. Again, thanks to all for the participation and collegiality.

Brad
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
As can probably be discerned from my posts, I do use a lot of GIS, mapping and GPS to model landforms. Mostly in boring flatlands, but for fun I do the same in the mountains. This forum has been a lot of fun, both to read and to participate in. I only wish that I were somewhat closer to the area to participate in the hiking and climbing more there. Although there is really more than enough fine climbing right here near home. The Whites just have a place in my heart. The tech that I have encountered here has been very informative, particularly the recent treatise on web-cams. I look forward to trying out some of the setups suggested. Again, thanks to all for the participation and collegiality.
If you are into GIS stuff I would hope you have looked at Delorme's XMap software. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10044&minisite=10020

Patrad Fischroy
06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, I have looked at it a little bit. It is a little bit too much for my personal use and not quite enough for the professional use that I do, for that I am more into Arc-View. Although in that I am a version or two behind the times.

hobbes
06-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Some nice features in ArcGIS 9.x; especially like the new ArcGIS Online service.

Anyone remember the old Delorme farmhouse? Always enjoyed going into the map room there; the store in the current building just doesn't have the same feel to it (no engineers/cartographers hanging around), although the large globe is nice.

M_Six
06-29-2007, 11:50 PM
I guess I fit in here twice, then. My degree is in chemistry/geology and I once worked as an environmental geologist. Then I drifted into networking and systems administration and have been there ever since. :cool: