PDA

View Full Version : first time

understand
06-25-2007, 04:22 PM
What is the best trail to hike to the summit. This my first time to Mt wash. I am 53 years old and in pretty good shape.

Bill O
06-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I'd recommend some sort of loop. Up one trail and down another.

Are you just looking for a day hike? A quick up and down or an all day hike?

I'd probably recommend something like a Boot Spur and Tuckerman's or Lion's Head and Tuckerman's.

Brad
06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
I have taken first timers up Lion's Head to the summit and then down Tuckerman's. This is a good combination and one can bypass the summit if need be - still having a nice hike.

Another good loop starts at the base of the Cog Railroad - up the Ammo Trail to Lakes of the Clouds - summit - and then down the Jewell Trail ending back at the Cog's base station. This is longer and therefore not as steep.

rockin rex
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
As stated previously loops are the best way to climb Washington. It is really nice to go up one way and come down another but ending in the same place you started. I feel the best first time loop is Lions head to the top and come back down Tucks. First timers do best by starting with Lions Head and Tucks first then moving on to other routes more difficult. I will be the first to tell you though that Lions Head and Tuckermans are difficult trails and should not be taken lightly. Too many people feel these are the easy ways up only to realize after heading above tree that they were very wrong. Caution is always needed on Washington.

FisherCat
06-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Would definitely recommend the Ammo-Jewell Loop. Lake of the Clouds is a great rest stop and recharge. I took my cousin's husband up that route for his first time 2 years ago. He was your age then and had had prior knee surgeries in years past. He just kept in shape with regular walking leading up to the hike. Just keep movin at a steady, comfortable pace.

kaseri
06-25-2007, 10:32 PM
The Ammo trail is an amazing trail for the ascent of Washington. Rest stop @ Lakes Of The Clouds hut & off to the summit of Washington if you feel strong enough. If you don't feel strong enough to tackle Washington you can always take the short 30 min hike to the summit of Monroe & then back down. One tip for you.... park at the lot BEFORE the COG parking lot... it's free! If you park at the COG they will charge you even WITH a WMNF parking pass.

Steve M
06-26-2007, 01:49 AM
Would definitely recommend the Ammo-Jewell Loop. Lake of the Clouds is a great rest stop and recharge. I took my cousin's husband up that route for his first time 2 years ago. He was your age then and had had prior knee surgeries in years past. He just kept in shape with regular walking leading up to the hike. Just keep movin at a steady, comfortable pace.
This is the hike I did for my first time and I loved it. It is long though. Plan on a whole day round trip. You will most likely be soaking these piggies that evening:D

KD Talbot
06-26-2007, 06:21 AM
I just want to say that at this time Tuckerman Ravine Trail above Hermit Lake to the Lip is still closed. I believe the problem is there is still considerable ice. I would think this would change soon with the current weather, but I was there yesterday and that section is closed. From Hermit Lake you would have to ascend by Lion's Head. You could descend by Boott Spur, Lion's Head or Nelson Crag. Do not attempt to descend by Huntington Ravine, and as I said, Tuckerman is still closed from the Lip to the floor of the Ravine.

KDT

Frdxplorer
06-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I am hoping to do Washington this summer. Do all of these trails originate from the same area?

Be_Prepared
06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I'd echo the warning about Tuck. Folks in the Sherman Adams building Saturday also mentioned the ice on Tuckerman's. It was posted somewhere up there as well. You can see a picture of what the conditions were like Saturday PM at the top of the trail:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/Be_Prepared/FH000010.jpg

KD Talbot
06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
The most popular trails are Tuckerman and Lion Head on the east side, Ammonoosuc and Jewell on the west. Best advice is get a map or better yet a trail guide, there is one specific to The Presidentials:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_9&products_id=118

This will give you trail descriptions and a Tyvek map. Also, read as many threads in this forum as possible. There is great advice from people who have climbed Washington many times.

KDT

understand
06-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks everybody for the great tips. Look like ammo-jewell is the most likely one. Can it be done in 5 or 6 hrs at a comfortable pace? and what would be the proper gear plus food and water for the Hike?

KD Talbot
06-27-2007, 05:00 PM
The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail combined with the Crawford Path to the summit is 4.5 miles and 3800' elevation gain. The Jewell Trail combined with the Gulfside Trail and Trinity Heights Connector is 5.1 miles and 3900'. Either way you go the trip is 9.6 miles with several of those miles above treeline where you can expect everything from scorching sun to thunderstorms and maybe even hail, sleet or snow. Or maybe you'll be lucky and have what we call a "Bluebird Day", it's hard to say, and the weather can change several times during your climb.

There is no shelter except on the summit where you could buy food and water, assuming you make it, and at Lakes of the Clouds AMC Hut. This by no way means to not carry food and water with you, or to push on to the summit when there is good reason to turn back . Many get themselves in trouble by making the mistake of thinking that food and shelter are just a little further when they should be heading down the best way they can.

The book time for this hike is 8 hrs and 40 minutes which goes by 1/2 hr for every mile climbed to give inexperienced hikers something to use as a basic rule of thumb. This can vary greatly with experience, weight carried, fatigue, etc.

As for food and water, this has been covered in previous threads in this section of this forum, again I suggest you read these. There is much info already covered there that you will find useful. That which you don't find covered there can be found in the AMC guides I suggested previously. I'm not trying to sell books, I just think anyone interested in climbing Washington should educate themselves as much as possible before the attempt. There is a list in the Sherman Adams Building at the summit of over 140 people who have died on the mountain, and the list grows every year. I'm not trying to scare anyone off, I just want people to understand the seriousness of the undertaking.

Good luck and keep us posted of your plans and how it goes. Now that you've joined us we expect pictures and a trip report when you're done.

KDT

Steve M
06-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Good luck and keep us posted of your plans and how it goes. Now that you've joined us we expect pictures and a trip report when you're done.

KDT
Ditto on that!:)

FisherCat
06-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Regarding the hike we took my 53 yr. old friend on, we left the Cog Base around 815am, loafed at LofC Hut, gallywagged at the Top about an hour and got down around 6pm. We were a group of 6, youngest 12, oldest 38, so we moved at group pace. (never hike faster than the slowest member)We had poor visibility till after lunch when the NW wind kicked in and cleared off so weather wasn't really a factor.