PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Trail?

afmrintern
05-12-2006, 04:26 PM
What is your favorite trail up the mountain???

Mine is the Ammonusuc Ravine Trail. It's steep, ledgy, but there's just something about it that I like. Maybe it's stopping at Gem pool, or lakes along the way!

davidhowland14
05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
What is your favorite trail up the mountain???

Mine is the Ammonusuc Ravine Trail. It's steep, ledgy, but there's just something about it that I like. Maybe it's stopping at Gem pool, or lakes along the way!
I like the Ammonusuc Trail. In the worst weather thread, i mentioned a trip three years ago. That was going up the Ammonusuc Ravine Trail. I also like the crawford path along the ridge to lakes and then to the summit, or the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. I'm doing Lions Head this summer.

Andrew
05-12-2006, 04:41 PM
So far I like Huntington Ravine Trail the best. Lions head is cool too, especialy the head where you can look 1600 feet into Tuckerman Ravine.

smitty77
05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
I had a real nice time hiking the Great Gulf trail all the way from Rt. 16. No crowds and excellent views. Had a great day to do it too: 55 degrees and sunny with 100+ mile visibility on top.

Smitty

davidhowland14
05-16-2006, 08:12 PM
How long is that?

bruno
05-17-2006, 02:41 PM
i'd have to say huntington ravine as well. tucks is over-rated in my opinion, especially in the summer as it's jampacked. the ammo-jewell loop is fun too. i dig takin' the camel trail to the lawn cut-off once ya get up there for all the open walkin' and all.

also, goin' up great gulf to the top is a fine longer hike as ya go by spaulding pond and then up quick! i went that way once or twice and then took the wamsutta trail down.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

davidhowland14
05-17-2006, 09:46 PM
i'd have to say huntington ravine as well. tucks is over-rated in my opinion, especially in the summer as it's jampacked. the ammo-jewell loop is fun too. i dig takin' the camel trail to the lawn cut-off once ya get up there for all the open walkin' and all.

also, goin' up great gulf to the top is a fine longer hike as ya go by spaulding pond and then up quick! i went that way once or twice and then take the wamsutta trail down.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

i like the "amo-jewell loop. It's creepy when you can't see, though. Whats with all the "ya"s? all of a sudden. See above post ^

davidhowland14
05-18-2006, 06:45 PM
i'm from the south! norf carolina to be exack! post'r and chickety WALKED from south of there!!! all the way to MAINE (campin' out the whole way!!!)!!!!:eek: :eek: :)

really? I'd love to hike the AT. so, accents transfer to typing?

davidhowland14
05-18-2006, 09:45 PM
true. This would be a good place to point out that we need moderators. who go on hikes in the white mountains (subject of forum)

bravocharlie
05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
true. This would be a good place to point out that we need moderators. who go on hikes in the white mountains (subject of forum)

Done.

All you have to do is report a post and it will get taken care of promptly.

GBouch2
07-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Although this trial is always in need of some kind of repair, I always enjoy the Six Husbands Trial. It's quiet, desolate and physically challenging. Camp at the base, have lunch at Madison Hut or Washington!

rockin rex
09-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Favorite trail has to be trails out of the great gulf upto the ridge. Six husbands and Madison gulf trail over the head wall both with full packs are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not far behind are the trails out of Randolph up to the ridge especially kings ravine on its way upto thunderstorm junction.

Brad
09-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I have always liked going up Lions Head to the summit and then down Tuckerman's Headwall. Going up you pop out in the open with great views very quickly. On the way down you continue with good views for quite a while.

Last summer I went up the Amonoosic Ravine Trail to the Lakes and then summit. Came down the Jewell Trail. Did this loop with my 9 year old grandson - for his first, of many, hike up Mt Washington.

Here is a picture of him after we left the Lakes heading to the summit.

http://images12.fotki.com/v216/photos/8/8235/3779383/IMG_6185a-vi.jpg

MtnMagic
09-25-2006, 03:50 PM
The Ammo, Tuck to Lions Head, and Nelson Crag have always been my favorites. As well as approaching from Crawford Path or on Gulfside continuing on from Jefferson. Though after a sample hike of the Dry River Trail, I would love to get to the rock pile after seeing the exciting views from Oakes Gulf. And I will someday!

rockin rex
05-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Some people asking about trails up washington so thought I would bring this back upto the top where people can see it. I really enjoyed peoples input on their favorite trail up the rock pile. Am surprised though that the trails on the Randolph side were not often mentioned. I guess for most that is to long a day to summit Washington from that side and then come back down. I do have to say. I love kings Ravine!!

Joey Keyz
05-28-2007, 06:22 PM
I never climbed to the top. I plan on trying it this fall. I'm not in the best of shape due to a car accident I had back in 2000, but I still have some power in me I think to give it a shot.

What's the easiest way up and down MW?

rockin rex
05-29-2007, 08:11 AM
My kids would say the cog but trail wise I would have to say Tucks. The reason I say that is not because of the terrain but because of the amount of people that use that trail. You kinda join in with the flow of hikers and it tends to pull you along. It is also the shortest way up. Terrain wise there are ones that are easier but the mileage is longer. I always recommend Tucks to people that are climbing Washington for the first time.

Steve M
05-29-2007, 08:39 AM
My kids would say the cog but trail wise I would have to say Tucks. The reason I say that is not because of the terrain but because of the amount of people that use that trail. You kinda join in with the flow of hikers and it tends to pull you along. It is also the shortest way up. Terrain wise there are ones that are easier but the mileage is longer. I always recommend Tucks to people that are climbing Washington for the first time.
I'm glad to hear you say that. That is exactly what I felt also. My wife and kids have never hiked to the summit of Washington but they will be going with me for Seek-the-Peak and I chose Tucks for their first trip. My wife is concerned about our 7 yr old. He still has trouble following directions and she is a little nervous about the section around the headwall. That could potentially be a dangerous place. Has anyone with small kids hiked this path? What was your experience and do you have any advice??

Rich
05-29-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm glad to hear you say that. That is exactly what I felt also. My wife and kids have never hiked to the summit of Washington but they will be going with me for Seek-the-Peak and I chose Tucks for their first trip. My wife is concerned about our 7 yr old. He still has trouble following directions and she is a little nervous about the section around the headwall. That could potentially be a dangerous place. Has anyone with small kids hiked this path? What was your experience and do you have any advice??

My wife and our 7 year old son (who has many miles in the Whites) will be on Tucks and Lion's Head for STP. No need to mess around the headwall especially when it'll be soo crowded. At parts you need to "pull over" so others can pass! A friend had to grab someone and pull them back up when she slipped off the trail. I think I read Brad had to do the same once? 1600' fall into the ravine. Also, LH is a bit more tame for a first timer. Perhaps we'll meet up and maybe do part of the climb together, Steve?

Steve M
05-29-2007, 10:23 AM
My wife and our 7 year old son (who has many miles in the Whites) will be on Tucks and Lion's Head for STP. No need to mess around the headwall especially when it'll be soo crowded. At parts you need to "pull over" so others can pass! A friend had to grab someone and pull them back up when she slipped off the trail. I think I read Brad had to do the same once? 1600' fall into the ravine. Also, LH is a bit more tame for a first timer. Perhaps we'll meet up and maybe do part of the climb together, Steve?
That sounds good to me. I may decide to do Lions Head with them anyway, no need to put anyone in danger. Keep in touch and let me know your plans. We will be arriving in the Whites on the 17th and staying at Saco River campgrounds until the 29th. We will be taking several shorter hikes before STP but haven't decided which ones. Maybe Mt. Willard and some of the waterfall trails. We shall see. Anyway I look forward to meeting you and your family.

Joey Keyz
05-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I would have to say Tucks. The reason I say that is not because of the terrain but because of the amount of people that use that trail. You kinda join in with the flow of hikers and it tends to pull you along. It is also the shortest way up. Terrain wise there are ones that are easier but the mileage is longer. I always recommend Tucks to people that are climbing Washington for the first time.

I don't want to be a pain in the a##, but I really don't like hiking on crowded trails. I love having the trails to myself. I will be with an experienced partner, so I won't be in any real danger if I bug out. We didn't make any plans yet because I wanted to ask you guys first about it.

What are the easier ones you mentioned and what's the mileage? If they're too long for one day up, is there a hut we can stay at overnight? I don't mind making it a 2, 3 or even 4 day adventure.

rockin rex
05-29-2007, 12:30 PM
My suggestion now would be the wamsutta trail. This trail comes out of the Great Gulf and is an amazing trail! It is one of the less crowded trails and a very enjoyable hike. I would do Wamsutta up to the top and take Boot Spur down. This is a wonderful loop. If your looking for an over night than lake of the clouds could be added into the mix with no problem seeing that it is so close to the Boot Spur trail. This is the loop I will probably do for seek the peak.

MtnMagic
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Our New England Hiking & Adventurer's Group (http://hiking.meetup.com/283/) will be ascending the rockpile via Tucks to Lions Head with a visit to the Alpine Gardens then summit on Saturday, June 16. Meet 9 am at the help desk at PNVC if you wish to join us. Let me know.

Also our New England Hiking & Adventurer's Group (http://hiking.meetup.com/283/) will be ascending the rockpile via the Ammo Trail and a brief stop on Monroe and the LOTC hut before summiting on Sunday June 24. Meet 9am at the Ammo Parking lot on Base Road. Kindly let me know you are joining us.

Steve M
06-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Our New England Hiking & Adventurer's Group (http://hiking.meetup.com/283/) will be ascending the rockpile via Tucks to Lions Head with a visit to the Alpine Gardens then summit on Saturday, June 16. Meet 9 am at the help desk at PNVC if you wish to join us. Let me know.

Also our New England Hiking & Adventurer's Group (http://hiking.meetup.com/283/) will be ascending the rockpile via the Ammo Trail and a brief stop on Monroe and the LOTC hut before summiting on Sunday June 24. Meet 9am at the Ammo Parking lot on Base Road. Kindly let me know you are joining us.Does your group have any trips planned for the end of July? If so maybe we will join you for a few.

MtnMagic
06-02-2007, 07:56 AM
One may join our hiking site for free. You be able to read our hiking articles, view our calendar, and read our message board.

Here are the scheduled hikes:
Saturday, June 9: Firescrew Mtn, Mount Cardigan, & Welton Falls! 9 am @ Cardigan Lodge
Sunday, June 10: Mount Carrigain! 9 am
Saturday,June 16: Mount Washington & the Alpine Gardens! 9 am Tucks & Lion Head trails
Sunday, June 17: Mounts Ike & Pierce! 9 am
Saturday, June 22-24: Camping Trip to Mt Blue State Park, Maine! Just $3 per day.
Sunday, June 24: Mounts Monroe & Washington! 9 am Meet at Ammo Trail parking lot
Thursday, June 28: Mounts Jackson & Webster! 9 am
Friday, June 29: Mounts Tom, Field, & Willey! 9 am
Saturday, June 30: The Twins & Galehead! 9 am
Sunday, July 1: The Kinsman's! 9 am
Tuesday July 3: Mounts Liberty & Flume! 9 am
Wednesday July 4: Mount Moosilauke! 9 am
Friday, July 6: The Hancock's! 9 am
Saturday, July 7:The Osceola's 9 am
Sunday, July 8: Mount Isolation! 8 am Up Glen Boulder, out & meet at Rocky Branch.'[
Saturday, July 14: Firescrew Mtn, Mount Cardigan, & Welton Falls! 9 am @ Cardigan Lodge
Sunday July 15: Owl's Head! 8 am Linwood Visitor's Center
Sunday July 22: Mount Zealand & The Bonds!
Sunday July 29: Mount Jefferson via Caps Ridge

More hikes will be added as the dates get closer: To see our calendar, one may join by visiting our New England Hiking & Adventurer's Group (http://hiking.meetup.com/283/) Knowledge. Events. Fellowship. (tm)