PDA

View Full Version : Training for the hill climb

Magpie
07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I was wondering what kind of training everyone dose to prep for the cycling hill climb. I'm thinking about giving it a shot. I ride over 20 miles a day on a stationary bike and 10 mles twice a week on my road bike. I'm not looking to break any records. I just want to see what I'm made of. Maybe. :cool:
I havn't been able to find any links about this year. Please send me in the right direction.
Thanks All

Patrad Fischroy
07-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I am afraid it is over for this year.

http://newtonsrevenge.com/newton2.html

Charlie
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
i think there might be another one this year .when i was up there this weekend they had a practice run on Sunday morning .
and to prep for this i would say it is a lot of work ,they all look like very good bike riders and they all look like they had a tough ride . some were laying on the ground in pain and throwing up.
with the wind in tour face some times and all up hill :eek: ,the steepest spot is at the finish . it is a short about 100' up about a 33% incline .

so train hard for it ,it looks like it can kick your butt if your not ready for it .

beauty123
07-19-2007, 03:41 AM
Thanks!That's Great!

Magpie
07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Sounds pretty hard. The training part is what I am into. Finding the grades and translating that into the enviroment I have available to me. I was hoping to put a training program together that would simulate a hard climb a close as possible. It's pretty much flat ware I live. Turning my stationary bike all the way up is a start. Even if the race's are over for the season I would still like to learn as much as I can. It can't hurt the ski legs either.
Any info would be helpful and I think makes a good thread. Or maybe I was in the woods to long.
:)

KD Talbot
07-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Newton's Revenge was cancelled because of the weather that weekend, but the main event is on August 18th. I doubt it's possible to still sign up as sign up was in February. this race supports the Tin Mountain Conservation Center. Newton's Revenge supports the MW Observatory.

http://www.mtwashingtonbicyclehillclimb.org/mwarbh/page.cfm/About-This-Race

Maybe next year?

KDT

guyq
08-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I am a serious but non-racing cyclist who has done the hill climb eight times so hopefully I can provide a modicum of wisdom. First a preamble before discussing the training: In a nutshell, the hill climb is a relentless period of non-stop peddling at constant power output keeping the body just below its anaerobic threshold. Expanding upon a few points: First, given the average 12% grade and assuming a typical speed of 6 mph, the maximum glide time is about 2-3 seconds if one stops peddling. Hence, there is no opportunity to rest while on the bike. This leads into my second point of keeping constant power output. There is very little opportunity to go hard for some time period and then go easy at other time periods since you will likely not have enough forward momentum to keep upright during these easy times. And finally my third point, keep below your anaerobic threshold since if one exceeds it, one will have to get off the bike. Please note it is difficult to restart a bike on a steep hill particularly with other cyclists in close quarters. Also, it is more difficult (per unit of height climbed) to push the bike as opposed to riding it. It is far more efficient to ride rather than push the bike.

The specific training I follow is to ride on a completely flat circuit designed with no or very few stops (eg. lights, stop signs). This is superior to training on large hills but smaller than Mt. Washington (more on this later). The ride should be as long as one expects to climb the mountain (90 minutes, say). Ride with hands on the bar tops or on the hoods (no aerobars!) at a cadence that is compatible with sustainable hill climbing. Personally, this is about 75 rpm, slower than my normal 90 rpm cadence. Do not ever ease off the pressure. Do not ever stop peddling. Keep at no more or no less than just below the anaerobic threshold for the entire ride. The flatter the road, the easier it is to maintain constant output and the less temptation to rest going down a hill (that is why flat riding is best). Try to be well hydrated beforehand so as to minimize drinking while riding. Drinking requires one to stop breathing even if it is just for a few seconds. Personally, this breaks my rhythm of very deep breathing. Personally, training for hill-climbs is the least enjoyable type of riding. If one enjoyed the training ride while doing it, one did not ride hard enough. If one enjoyed the training ride after the fact, bravo, one is one the way to the top.

Hope this helps. G.

Magpie
08-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the help
So I am following the advice of a flat circut. I made it 45 Min. without stopping, WOW it's pretty hard. I am trying to increase the time daily. We will see what happens. Getting started after stopping on a hill would seam impossible.
Thanks again
:eek:

billysinc
08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I did the road race (running) back in '97 and even though riding and running aren't the same the one comment I can make is that there really isn't anywhere to rest. It is UP the whole time.