PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Donotgogentle
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
The current weather forecast for the weekend is lousy. Any ideas or thoughts on climbing or calling it off. Obviously the weather can change before we get there but I was just curious about better trail options in poor weather. If there forecast still calls for t-storms then we obviously have a bigger problem

rockin rex
07-23-2007, 01:37 PM
In looking at the weather reports for the 28th looks like it could be a bit wet. I have climbed Washington where it was horrible storms in the valley that you could see but it never made its way to the rock pile. You never really know what weather you are going to get. Lets hope that the mountain will decide to throw us a nice day. Wet and cold temps would not make for a real fun day. With my recent knee surgery, coming down the rock pile in rain would be a REAL challange. No matter what the weather I will be there to support the observatory and give my support to a great cause. Lets hope for great weather!!!!

Brad
07-23-2007, 01:39 PM
In looking at the weather reports for the 28th looks like it could be a bit wet. I have climbed Washington where it was horrible storms in the valley that you could see but it never made its way to the rock pile. You never really know what weather you are going to get. Lets hope that the mountain will decide to throw us a nice day. Wet and cold temps would not make for a real fun day. With my recent knee surgery, coming down the rock pile in rain would be a REAL challange. No matter what the weather I will be there to support the observatory and give my support to a great cause. Lets hope for great weather!!!!
We may have a HoJo's party instead of at the summit.

rockin rex
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Hey if the weather is that bad that would actually be a GREAT idea!! Well I think we now have a back up plan.

Brad
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey if the weather is that bad that would actually be a GREAT idea!! Well I think we now have a back up plan.
How many people can fit in the little warming room on the left of the building?

Bill O
07-23-2007, 02:05 PM
30% chance of precip is wet? That's pretty much the standard forecast for a summer day in NH.

I wouldn't change anything on that forecast, especially since its still 5 days out.

The best forecast you can have a week out is rain. That way, when its wrong - and five day forecasts usually are, its going to be clear.

Donotgogentle
07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
the forecast is different depending on where you look the MWO site says it doesn't look bad, the weather channel site says scattered t storms. Who knows. I with I could be a weather man and only have to be right 30% of the time.

Bill O
07-23-2007, 04:24 PM
the forecast is different depending on where you look the MWO site says it doesn't look bad, the weather channel site says scattered t storms. Who knows. I with I could be a weather man and only have to be right 30% of the time.

Where on the MWO site did you see a forecast for this weekend? MWO puts out a 36 hour outlook. They're not dreamers.

Unless you are looking for the two week dreamcast there is no reason to ever use weather.COM (aka The Weather Channel). Real people aren't making forecasts on that site. Its all done by computer.

On the other hand real people make forecasts several times a day at weather.GOV The National Weather Service. No ads, and no dream-casts.

KD Talbot
07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
In 2002 we did STP in thick fog and it rained most of the day. I think most of the participants still went to the summit. Emma and I did. Hey, it is billed as the world's worst weather, isn't it? It was that day. I'm with Rex and Bill. It could be pouring in the valley and not raining at all on MW. Maybe we will get an undercast. I can say from personal experience that is something worth hiking in the rain for. Anyway, as Bill says, it's still a little far out to know what the weather is going to be that day.

We live about 120 miles south of MW. When we make plans to hike anywhere in the Whites, we just go. It might be raining in Franconia Notch, and not in Pinkham. In fact, it might be raining in Bretton Woods and the sun shining in Pinkham, or vice-versa. The general weather reports are not really for the mountains. That's where the Obs comes in and why they're so important. Their Higher summits forecasts are specifically for the mountains. The only way to be really sure is to be there, where you're going to hike.

Example: I climbed Huntington Ravine a few weeks back. The forecast was for crappy conditions. I checked with the Obs and Ryan told me their forecast for the next day. They were not expecting any rain until later that day. OK, I'm going. I called my buddy. We had just about decided to not go because of the forecast, but I talked him into going. Next morning the weather was miserable where we were. I checked the higher summits forecast, stiil, no rain until mid afternoon. The radar showed showers all over the mountains. My buddy arrived at my house and we discussed what to do. We pretty much decided not to go to Washington. Instead of going the most direct route, we got on Rte 93 and headed north for a different destination. When we got into the mountains it was like, "Hey, this isn't so bad." We headed further north through Franconia Notch. The weather was better. "That's it, we're going". We drove all the way over to Pinkham. The sun was out. We started climbing, it was hot and steamy, where it had been cold and rainy to the south and west. We did get a little rain, about a ten minute shower when we reached the Alpine Garden, but nothing too outrageous. If we had gone by the TV forecast, we never would have gone. If we relied on just the Obs forecast and the radar we still might not have gone. We went and we saw firsthand what the weather was and decided to go for it. We would have missed a great hike otherwise. To me, this is the only way. You can always turn around if you are uncomfortable in the conditions.

KDT

kaseri
07-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I'll climb in just about any weather. I've only turned back twice. Once on Lion Head when the fog was so thick I couldn't see more than 3 feet in front of me & once 4 tenths of a mile from the summit of Jefferson when thunderstorms came through. Other than that I'm hiking on!

See you all on the summit!

Brad
07-24-2007, 06:45 AM
An example of the various conditions right now.

At our cabin in Maine 1 hour south east of Pinkham.
http://images25.fotki.com/v952/photos/8/8235/4962265/LV0320070724063418000N-vi.jpg

The Ravines camera looking at Tuckermans
http://images25.fotki.com/v951/photos/1/1002902/4159850/20070724_063712_ravines-vi.jpg

The North camera
http://images25.fotki.com/v947/photos/1/1002902/4159849/20070724_063716_north-vi.jpg

The West camera sees a wonderful view
http://images25.fotki.com/v953/photos/1/1002902/4159853/20070724_064202_west-vi.jpg

mary
07-24-2007, 04:02 PM
youre cabin area looks very cool....talk about a little bit of heaven....

Donotgogentle
07-25-2007, 10:43 AM
The MWO site has a link for the MWV regional forecast that show the outlook for this weekend the link is under the weather tab. As far as the hike, we are still climbing as well my only concern would be lightning. We planned to ascend Ammonousc trail do you think i'd be better switching trails or staying on course no matter what the weather.

kaseri
07-25-2007, 11:50 AM
If it's dry I would stick to the Ammo trail. If it rains I would consider a different route since the Ammo has lots of rock crossing.

Donotgogentle
07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Looks like I might be doing tuckerman with some of you guys then I just didn't want to use a route too congested or too hard.

rockin rex
07-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I have done Ammo in the rain and it actually is beautiful. The falls are flowing and the stream is just spectacular. You just have to be careful with the stream crossings and the upper slabs. Whats also nice about the Ammo in the rain is it is almost all below tree upto L.O.C. then you can jump into the hut and dry off. If you are set on doing the Ammo Ravine trail I wouldn't shy away from it just because of rain.

Donotgogentle
07-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks Rex we're gonna cross that path when we get closer but everyones input on this is appreciated. By the way did you find a site yet?

Brad
07-25-2007, 07:42 PM
youre cabin area looks very cool....talk about a little bit of heaven....
Mary, thanks for the comment. The cabin is our weekend, vacation, to become retirement place. With my work shifting from NY to NC the "weekend" part is not working too well. the real cabin pictures and tour are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/cabin/

mary
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM
thank you for sharing a glimpse of your world....it really is a gorgeous place....and i do know the difference between your and youre....damn typos i make them all the time....

Rudabaga
07-26-2007, 10:27 PM
So it seems like the general consensus is that people are still going to attend theis weekend. I have been having a hard time trying to figure out the weather forecast. Where I don't mind the rain my hiking partner now has decided not to go. I would still like to go so I was wondering if there was anyone out there that may be interested in letting me be in eye shot of their group? I am pretty resiliant, but I still do not want to be alone.

mary
07-27-2007, 07:30 AM
were still going....were not sure of the weather either but if youre always welcome to hike with us....

Brad
07-27-2007, 07:38 AM
So it seems like the general consensus is that people are still going to attend theis weekend. I have been having a hard time trying to figure out the weather forecast. Where I don't mind the rain my hiking partner now has decided not to go. I would still like to go so I was wondering if there was anyone out there that may be interested in letting me be in eye shot of their group? I am pretty resiliant, but I still do not want to be alone.
I think it will be hard to be alone this weekend up there. My plans are to head out of Pinkham as early as I can - then you all catch up with me.

I will have a blue Camelpak - on the outside will be a small yellow wind/temperature gauge. I will make sure it is visible.

Rudabaga
07-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Hey Brad and Mary, I will try to maybe find you guys. I was thinking that the best thing to do was to leave as early as possible from Pinkham as well so I plan to be there and ready to go right at 0700. I will be at the gathering onite so perhaps I will be able to find you guys.

kaseri
07-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Keep an eye out for a Serta "Counting Sheep" #7. He will be lashed to the outside of my pack. Please ask before petting him though..sometimes he bites.

mary
07-27-2007, 08:45 AM
ok....were planning to leave pinkham around 6:30....there will be 3 of us....my son who is 6'1" and has curly hair and a beard....im 5'8" and have long curly hair that will probably be pulled back and my sons girlfriend is 4'11" with long hair...my pack is blue and grey and my sons is gold....no worries it looks like youll be able to hook up with people....

Rudabaga
07-27-2007, 08:56 AM
I can be at the trail head by 0630 with no problem. I am about 5'5 and I will be wearing a blue bandana and have a black and gray pack. Hopefully maybe I will meet you tonite at the kickoff.

Brad
07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
630 sounds like a good time. Don't wait for me. You may look for my black Suburban with Maine plates "MIB" in the lot to see if I am there. If I am there earlier, I may take off - but 630 sounds real good.

Brad
07-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Higher Summits Forecast is sounding better all the time for Saturday!

Come out and join us hike. Support one of the world's highest achieving organizations.

Charlie
07-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Higher Summits Forecast is sounding better all the time for Saturday!

Come out and join us hike. Support one of the world's highest achieving organizations.

i wish i can but as you know i was just there and i was trying to see if i forgot something there so i can tell my wife i need to go get it:D

i have dog taring tomorrow and i need to go:mad:

have fun

Bill O
07-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Green Subaru Outback here with CT "Save The Sound" plates.

Brad
07-27-2007, 04:36 PM
i have dog taring tomorrow and i need to go:mad:

I would rather have you go on the hike. And I am sure the dog would prefer not to have tar all over him too.

Charlie
07-27-2007, 06:36 PM
yep it to be hot and she would rather stay home and lay on the couch