PDA

View Full Version : Hi! We're new here!

Tim&Val
07-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Hello,
We're new to this forum! We joined after being asked if we were members by about a dozen people during the Seek-the-Peak event last weekend! :) So here we are!

We live in Ashland, NH. We moved here about two years ago from Wilmington, Delaware. We have a quiet little house on a quiet little hill. Very different from our former life, and we love it.

We would like to say hi to the folks that we met this weekend: Rudabaga, BlueDog, Chewy, Brad and DoNotGoGentle. We had a great time on the trail and at the after-party!

We hike virtually every weekend. We are actively working on the NH48 and the ADK46 lists. Not because we like checkmarks (which we *may* ;) ), but because it really challenges us to try hikes that I, Val, would have otherwise dismissed as too long, too high, too steep, etc. We still do non-checkmark-mountains all the time like Chocorua, Squam Range, etc.

We have a web site where we track our NH hikes. It's http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/

It's a little behind right now due to the fact that the weather's been so great - no time to write about it while we're DOING it!! We'll get it up to date this week.

Thanks again to everyone who made Seek-the-Peak so fun!
Sincerely,
Tim&Val

FisherCat
07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Welcome guys! Ashland is a nice place, definitely in good striking distance for good hikes in the Whites. Hope you've had and will continue to have agreat hiking season. Don't be a stranger to the forums boards.

Brad
07-30-2007, 06:14 PM
i am in the car driving back to NC and just wanted to say a quick hi and glad to see you here too.

Charlie
07-30-2007, 06:45 PM
welcome Tim and val good to see you join us and to share your hiking skills.

brad sorry to hear that your going back to NC and have to leave the Paradise in the north

Brad
07-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Posted from NJ rest stop at Montvale, Garden State Parkway:

On the road again. But, I will be back north in 2 weeks. Friends from Boston are talking about another Mt Washington hike. . . :)

Charlie
07-30-2007, 07:16 PM
i don't know how you make that drive that many times a year but if i had a house up north like that i would

drive safe

climbabout
07-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Welcome from CT! To one of the friendliest forums!
Tim

Tim&Val
07-30-2007, 07:25 PM
This really is the most friendly forum - both on the trail and on the computer! Brad, I can't believe you're checking your mail on the garden state parkway. We spent way too much time on that and the NJ turnpike when we lived in Delaware. Thanks to everyone for making us feel welcome! Sincerely, Tim & Valerie

Rich
07-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Welcome aboard Tim and Val to the friendliest, most helpful and thanks to our great Mods.....spam free forums! We hope you enjoy your visit! :rolleyes:

Brad
07-30-2007, 08:18 PM
i don't know how you make that drive that many times a year but if i had a house up north like that i would

drive safe
It gets harder and harder to leave each time.

Bill O
07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
It gets harder and harder to leave each time.

I don't know how you do it either. I drove about 800 miles this weekend. That's only half a trip for you.

Welcome to the forum Tim & Val.

freehill
07-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Very Nice job on your web site it looks great!
Good luck on your 4,000 footers.
Next to Mt Washington and Mt E.
Mt Chocorua is my Fav. Climb.
Freehill

Rudabaga
07-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey guys welcome to the "club"!

Tim&Val
07-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey Rudabaga, good to "see" you! Everyone's making us feel very welcome!:)

Trekker
08-01-2007, 03:54 PM
A hearty welcome to the newbies, Tim and Val . . .
Wish I had made it to the Seek the Peak - might have had a chance to meet you folks in person. I'm going to try real hard for next year. I WILL be dropping by the summit on Friday, August 10th - if you happen to be there on one of your "weekly" hikes (God, I'm jealous!) we might just meet up.
Just a quick two day jaunt around some of our favorite trails this time. Wish I had planned a week instead of two days, but at least it's something . . .

Brad
08-01-2007, 08:32 PM
We are starting to plan for another Mt Washington hike on Saturday August 11th. Sorry to miss you by a day.

Tim&Val
08-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Many thanks to Freehill for the props on our web page. We do our best to keep it updated and useful.

We know we're very lucky to live so close to the mountains, but it was a choice we made to move away from Borders, Olive Garden and Home Depot. We now spend a fraction that we used to spend on going out to eat, BUT we made up for it in GEAR!

Simplify, simpify, simplify unless you need a Steri-Pen or Pac-Lite jacket. hahahahaha:D

Valerie

Tim&Val
08-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Again to Freehill, by the way, Chocorua has haunted us and taunted us since we moved here. We can see it from so many places that we go. It kept saying "CLIMB ME"... finally, recently, we did for the first time.

What a GREAT mountain. We're going to need to come at it from every angle before we feel satisfied.

Brad
08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Many thanks to Freehill for the props on our web page. We do our best to keep it updated and useful.

We know we're very lucky to live so close to the mountains, but it was a choice we made to move away from Borders, Olive Garden and Home Depot. We now spend a fraction that we used to spend on going out to eat, BUT we made up for it in GEAR!

Simplify, simpify, simplify unless you need a Steri-Pen or Pac-Lite jacket. hahahahaha:D

Valerie
There is so much to be said for what you two have done - back to the basics. TV is not a necessity. Wendys and Burger King are not a special food group. Getting out on the trail and being able to enjoy what is around us is true therapy. A friend of mine moved out of Mass and the corporate world to N Conway and now owns Aaron's Hats on the main street. What a change for them.

I see that you two are able to get out for hikes on a regular basis. I see Lloyd and Kevin's pictures appearing all the time. It is a wonderful thing you have by being right there in the middle of such a great playground.

Enjoy.