PDA

View Full Version : Freezing and freezing rain on the rockpile today...

afmrintern
05-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Looks like a busy day on top of the rockpile for the observers. Strong winds and freezing rain means lots of deicing for the crew.

Temps are down to 28 at 3:pm!
Here's the last METAR observation from the weather page!
KMWN 131746Z 13058G74KT 1/4SM -FZRA FZFG BKN000 OVC008 M02/M02 RMK VIS 0V1/2 VIS NW 3 FZFG BKN000 BKN V OVC VRY LGT GICG 60053 931000 10002 21033

This means: Freezing rain, freezing fog, variable vis, broken sky, icing...a typical spring day, just as I remember them!

ItchyRichy
05-13-2006, 06:35 PM
It may be freezing on the top of the Mount but down south in Worcester, MA we're breaking out the flippers to get the mail! Almost non-stop rain since yesterday at about this time mean that basements will surely be flooded tonight. The forecast for our area looks depressing (unless you actually like rain) for the next week:
http://weather.unisys.com/forecast.cgi?KBOS

Have fun up there!

MikeJo
05-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Itchy from another floating Worcesterite! Flashback to last October. Stay dry!

davidhowland14
05-14-2006, 12:32 PM
It seems like the entire state of Massachusetts is underwater. It's been raining non-stop since last monday where i am.

Mildcarlilse
05-18-2006, 05:24 PM
and hello to all my friends on the mount washington likes and in the souff east of england uk they are expecting a drought this summer after three years of below average rainfall but in carlilse where i stay everyfing is normal except for the winters which are becoming milder and is this happening on mount washington likes?

post'r boy
05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
hey!!! i'm from wormtown too!!
7 hills no thrills!!!
the dump on the hump!!!
don't live there now but i'll always claim it as where i'm from!!!:D :eek:

Mildcarlilse
05-18-2006, 05:55 PM
hey!!! i'm from wormtown too!!
7 hills no thrills!!!
the dump on the hump!!!
don't live there now but i'll always claim it as where i'm from!!!:D :eek:

and did u stay in carlilse likes and where about and where are u now by the way

post'r boy
05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
i meant "new" england!
a bit of cockney slang... apples and pears:D

i ain't sayin' nuffin' till i seen my brief!!;)

davidhowland14
05-18-2006, 06:54 PM
and hello to all my friends on the mount washington likes and in the souff east of england uk they are expecting a drought this summer after three years of below average rainfall but in carlilse where i stay everyfing is normal except for the winters which are becoming milder and is this happening on mount washington likes?

well, we had way above average snowfall last year (over 36" in one storm on Cape Cod) and then a mild winter this year. It's fluctuating.

Mildcarlilse
05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
and i fink that the winters are getting milder in the uk and because we are surrounded by oceans we get mild winters and cool summers but we are closer to the event horizon of climate change due to that but one fing i would love to know and that is when are my american friends going to post their temperatures in centigrade and not in that old farenhite scale cause me and my dad and davy-lad watch fox news who are a sister company of our sky digital and we all get grossed out when we watch the forecasters give out the temperatures in farenhite cause it means nothing to us now as in the uk we have went all european and got used to it but i noticed that the temperature today atop mount washington was 22f and i know that 32f is freezing but its a strain on the brain to try and work out what 22f is in centigrade so i can get a feel for how cold that is but its definetly colder than anyfing i have had in carlilse in the past 10 years likes but i see u have had some snow and thats gross for this time of year likes :o

davidhowland14
05-22-2006, 10:01 PM
no offense meant, and I hope none taken, but that post was really hard to read. And 22 degress F is -5.555555555555555 degrees C/

Mildcarlilse
05-23-2006, 06:16 PM
and fanks for the repy david and today in carlilse we had a change to norff west winds and the temperatures went down to +10c and in some of the mountains in scotland there was light snowfall and the rest of this week looks set to be wet at times as we get frontal troughs and low pressure systems moving off the atlantic and we in the uk are waiting on the high pressure cell establishing itself over norff europe and scandinavia so we can get more settled conditions and hopefully higher temps than wot we got just now which is well below average for the time of year likes :)

davidhowland14
05-24-2006, 11:30 AM
lmao, that was all one sentence. Is snow in scotland normal for this time of year?

Mildcarlilse
05-24-2006, 07:29 PM
and yes snow is expected in scotland at this time of year at that elevation which is 3,000 to 4,406 ft high likes but if i could move onto other business it would be why is the west view webcam image obscured and it looks like a bit of snow has built up on the lens and why are the mount washington observers not going outside to clear the view so that people can enjoy the webcam view? and maybe they are watching a good film on cable tv and if they are it must be the eiger sanction wiff clint eastwood cause that film was all about a mountain but if they are not watching a film then why are the staff not out clearing the lens of the west view webcam likes?:rolleyes:

davidhowland14
05-24-2006, 09:15 PM
i don't know they're all probably too busy gaping at the weather and skiing and updating the website and monitoring these forums.

Mildcarlilse
06-10-2006, 05:51 PM
and things are now very warm in carlilse uk,and at last the high pressure cell is well established and drawing in air from spain and its not going to help the drought in the london and kent areas of the souff east likes but at least we in the uk dont have to worry about healthy thunderstorms and tornadic activity in hot weather and im glad of that likes:)

davidhowland14
06-11-2006, 10:13 PM
i think the New England region should send some of our rain to london. we've had three days in the past two weeks when it hasn't rained. I like rain, but it's getting closer and closer to the start of my hiking season. this isn't cool...

Mildcarlilse
06-12-2006, 06:29 PM
and i hope you get your much needed rain likes but in the uk there is going to be hose pipe bans which means that the rich people wiff two and three cars will not be allowed to wash them on a sunday afternoon before they settle into their sunday roast beef and yorkshire puddings and this drought has been going on now for three years and is directly related to a shift in the low pressure track over western europe and this trend is still current wiff more dry weather forecast for this week likes

davidhowland14
06-14-2006, 12:22 PM
i think the New England region should send some of our rain to london. we've had three days in the past two weeks when it hasn't rained. I like rain, but it's getting closer and closer to the start of my hiking season. this isn't cool...what i was saying it that New England has had way too much rain and that we could stand to send some to the UK.