PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers weigh in?

Trekker
08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Looking for info from present or recent volunteers to the summit kitchen . . .

I'm going to be hiking up in a couple weekends and wondered if there's anything in the kitchen that seems to be lacking. I'm sure there's room in my day pack for a few miscellaneous items to help out the kitchen crew. Is there an item that you find indispensable at home that is lacking at the summit? A baking pan that has finally worn a hole in itself? Let me know - I'll do my best . . .

Charlie
08-01-2007, 08:03 PM
thats very nice of you to do that .

i think that they should put a donation list here and if some one wants to donate some thing they need and if its a big item then they should be able to go up the auto road at no cost .if it some big $ items the maybe get to stay for dinner :D because the volunteers up there make the best food around .

just a thought :)

Trekker
08-02-2007, 07:39 AM
An excellent idea, Hawk! I think people will find that if you ask for specific things that you need, you are more likely to get the overwhelming support, as there are many out there who would gladly donate a specific, needed item, rather than cash - when they have no idea how the cash is being used.
It's almost like the "if you build it, they will come" sort of thing . . . "if you ask for it, it will be delivered".
How about it folks? Are there specific things you need? Pads of paper? coffee mugs? elastic bands? screw drivers? What are the mundane things, that nobody has money for in the budget, that make a difference in the day-to-day lives of our Mt. Washington Observatory heroes/workers

spyboy
08-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I wish I read this post earlier... When I was up there 2 weekend ago, my Tacoma pickup had a big empty bed with a tonneau cover, could have brought up a bunch of stuff :(

My family does a yard sale every year, we usually have pots and pans and stuff, usually people with cabins/camps buy them, but I'd gladly donate stuff to the crew at the Mount Washington Observatory, we want you guys to stay warm and stuffed full of good meals, while you give us the scoop on the weather.

Kirk

bacchus2
08-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I just returned for a one week stint on the rockpile, it was a blast. The kitchen is amazingly well supplied, and receives fresh food weekly at cahnge-over. I realy enjoyed my self, had plenty of time to hike while up there.
You can and we did prepare a major full meal for 8 to 10, bake cakes from scratch, the staff enloyes everything cooked.
Consider volunteering for a week, its a lot of fun.
John