PDA

View Full Version : Question on trail food

FisherCat
08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Here's one for anyone's input. In years past I know a hiker can get so wrapped up in the hike, they forget to snack while on the move. A long time ago I decided to not let this happen. What has anyone found to be easy to consume while on the move? Minus the high energy/calorie "pastes"!

Brad
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Cliff bars
Fig Newtons
Dried apricots
Trail mix
Tangerine/oranges

climbabout
08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I mix up my own gorp - m&m's assorted nuts, dried fruits (cut into small bits), choc chips if the weather is not too warm and put the mix in a wide mouth nalgene or similar bottle and chug it as needed. Makes it really easy to get at with gloves or mittens on as I do most of my travel in cold weather.
Tim

Tim&Val
08-02-2007, 09:45 PM
For a day-hike, we like cheese. Cracker Barrel makes individually wrapped 1-oz cheese sticks. Also, the string cheeses are good. They get kinda "icky" after the first day, so we don't use them when we're backpacking except in winter.

Also hard-boiled eggs. Again, I don't know how long they last. I never tried one after the 2nd morning on the trail.

My two cents,
Valerie

Rudabaga
08-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Gorp is my favorite because I can customize it to what I want to eat that day. Keeping it in a Nalgene bottle is great because it makes it easy to get to. I know sometimes I don't like to stop just because I have to take my pack apart to get to something. Other than that, cliff bars or my newest obsession Soyjoy bars. Then there always that rewarding piece of fruit that I always reserve for the summit.

Trekker
08-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I, too, found long, long ago that I never seemed to stop for "lunch" while hiking - getting too caught up in the hike, itself. I've found that the power bars work well for me, along with home made gorp (mixed nuts/m&m's/whole grain cereal), and, if I'm going to be out for a week or longer then I try to throw in some dried fruit as well (although it usually takes a back seat to the other stuff). Power bars have come a long way from, say, 10 or 15 years ago. (And I really DO like the ones with the dried fruit in them - better than the chocolate.) A quick stop - you barely even lose your momentum - but you get the necessary nurtrients to continue on, without suffering the drop in energy hours later, from not eating. The "gorp in the bottle" idea sounds interesting - I never thought of that - I'll have to give it a try. Might be easier to just "chug" a little . . .
I also found that I drank a lot more water if I used a bladder with tube attached to the shoulder harness. Same deal - if I had to stop and open the pack to get a drink, I never seemed to drink - but if it's right there, I sip quite often. It's the little things . . .

FisherCat
08-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Yea, have to admit I never thought of GORP in a bottle either. That's a pretty interesting idea. Believe it or not, I've never gotten into the bladder, The concept sounds great, but traditions die hard.

Steve M
08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I am too lazy to spend the time to make my own mixture so I buy the pre-mixed trail mix. Most have a zip lock top and fit very nicely in the stretchy side pouch on my pack. I use a bladder so I don't use the side pouch for a Nalgene bottle. It's a perfect place for easily reached snacks on the go.

FisherCat
08-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I picked up some great maple sugar cakes. They're about the size of a soup can lid but the maker mixes in a little corn meal(which you can't taste)to keep it from getting soft due to external or body heat. With an apple they are the best! Plus the natural sugar hits your system fast.

KD Talbot
08-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Sounds delicious. My take on it though is that, yes, it hits your system fast, but it also burns up fast. My standard is still peanut butter. It breaks down slowly and feeds you energy over the course of several hours. I eat fluffernutters, it gives you that instant sugar rush, then keeps on giving with the peanut butter. I use the Glad plastic sandwich boxes to keep them from getting crushed in the bag.

We also carry cheese, the same stuff Tim and Val bring, wrapped Cracker Barrell. I hate the wastefulness of individually wrapped stuff, but I make the exception for the convenience. I don't know if it's the salt in the cheese that I crave, but it does seem to refresh me. You lose a lot of salt when sweating on the trail and it needs to be replenished, to a point. Fruit is definitely good out there, too.

If I make GORP, I try to get currants instead of raisins, they have more energy and iron. I mix the nuts with lots of dried fruit. I especially like dried pineapple, though it also burns up fast, that's why the peanut butter sandwiches.

KDT

FisherCat
08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
That's true KDT, they do burn up fast. I compensate by eating a lot of them. Dried pineapple used to be one of my favorites but I haven't gotten any in quite some time, that's a good reminder. I'm surprised by the amount of people who bring cheese. I'd never thought of that.

rockin rex
08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
The food that My son and I swear by are cliff bars and a block of sharp cheddar cheese with crackers. One problem I just found out with Cliff Bars, they can go bad. My son and I decided to go extremely light on our hike between Crag Camp and Adams and just carry one cliff Bar. At Thunderstorm Juction we opened up the Cliff Bar and we couldn't believe our eyes. There were worms crawling out of it. We had no other food so this became a problem. Thank God for hiker kindness and for the big pot of soup at Madison.
At the top of Adams we were able to Yogi another Cliff Bar and a big bag of peant M&M's.

Brad
08-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Rex, interesting tale. I pulled out an old Cliff bar the other day in NC and it tasted a bit funny. I checked the date and - lets say - it was old. So, I threw those away and went for the newer ones. The old ones did not look any different - just a bit different taste.

rockin rex
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I live on Cliff Bars and have a ton in my house. When I leave for a trip I throw a few in my pack. I never thought they would go bad if they were sealed and unopened. Well on Adams as I said I found out I was wrong.
I would have eaten the one I opened but the worms really got to me.

Trekker
08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Maple Sugar Cakes? They sound terrific - Ok FisherCat, where'd you get them?
And yes, you need a little sugar, a little protein, and a few carbs - altogether, preferably - so you get the immediate energy AND the sustained power.
Block cheeses ARE really good, too - and I've found anything wrapped in wax generally holds a little longer on the trail - even in steamy weather -

FisherCat
08-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Trekker-they are made by a 18th century re-enactor. I thought I'd leave you my e-mail as I don't want anyone to think I'm doing advertising.
Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from a glorious week in NH.

langsfromnh@comcast.net

Brad
08-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from a glorious week in NH.

I assume you got some hiking in. Any pictures?

FisherCat
08-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm working on it, I have to work a bit today then rush my nephew to the airport for a flight that will probably get delayed due to weather. So I'm hoping to get something up today or Monday. Great week in NH! We had hiking, trailwork, and Skills Session during the week.

Steve M
08-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm working on it, I have to work a bit today then rush my nephew to the airport for a flight that will probably get delayed due to weather. So I'm hoping to get something up today or Monday. Great week in NH! We had hiking, trailwork, and Skills Session during the week.
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing your pics.:D

Charlie
08-19-2007, 05:23 PM
i remember when i was in my teens we were hiking to a cliff to repel and i took a big can or raviolis .little that i cared about weight .now o make it very light and light weight food that will give me a lot of energy .

FisherCat
08-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I'll agree with that. One of my best meals was a can of ravioli eaten after emerging from the Great Gulf Headwall on a wonderful sunny day.

KD Talbot
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
We spent 2 nights at the Imp shelter this spring and I packed in a can of Raviolis. Man, did that hit the spot! It was well worth the extra weight in the pack.

KDT