PDA

View Full Version : Next Hike

Brad
08-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Post when and where you will be doing your next hike. Then maybe others will have a chance to meet up with you.

August 11 - Mt Washington summit - trail TBD

Charlie
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
you just got home and now your going back so soon
i wish i can but i will be in western new york for a week on vac so have fun

Brad
08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
you just got home and now your going back so soon
i wish i can but i will be in western new york for a week on vac so have fun
I am already back there - mentally and emotionally. So, it is just a matter of getting my body to catch up.

Rich
08-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately for me, not until September for Flags on the 48 (flagsonthe48.org). We'll be climbing Galehead.

Anyone else participate in the Flags event?

Charlie
08-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I am already back there - mentally and emotionally. So, it is just a matter of getting my body to catch up.

well if i was there mentally i would not get any work done because i would be happy and have a smile on my face :D

Brad
08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
well if i was there mentally i would not get any work done because i would be happy and have a smile on my face :D
I am happy, have a smile on my face and have 4 web cameras at home to watch in addition to the cameras and premium content at MWO. How much better can it get than to watch the sunrise videos from the MWO site?

Just to be there is priceless.

Charlie
08-03-2007, 07:07 AM
yes you are right on that one priceless

Tim&Val
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately for me, not until September for Flags on the 48 (flagsonthe48.org). We'll be climbing Galehead.

Anyone else participate in the Flags event?

Last year, we went up Eisenhower for Flags on the 48. Weather was dark and blustery with storms around the edges. It was a remarkable and moving experience.

And our next trip will be the Bonds...

Brad
08-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I did a Bond run up for sunset years ago (read many many years ago) and had the most wonderful view out across a velvet landscape. It was like you could reach out and touch in on the next ridge. The sunset tone was fantastic. Bond has always been a special place for me.

Brad
08-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Well, heading north tomorrow after work. I have a couple of days of meetings in Winston-Salem, NC and then head north. I will be volunteering to help restore a house in the historic district of Acton, Mass (next to Concord) all day Friday. Then I will continue to Maine. Not sure what hikes I will be able to get in, but I do need to do one.

FisherCat
08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
October, early to mid month. hitting Hancocks and/or Carrigan.

Steve M
08-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, heading north tomorrow after work. I have a couple of days of meetings in Winston-Salem, NC and then head north. I will be volunteering to help restore a house in the historic district of Acton, Mass (next to Concord) all day Friday. Then I will continue to Maine. Not sure what hikes I will be able to get in, but I do need to do one.
Is this the trip where your body finally catches up with your brain?:D

billysinc
08-22-2007, 07:25 PM
This Sunday Hale. Monday Zealand with an overnight at Guyot.
I'll be on Isolation for flags on the 48 day, with maybe an overnight at Rocky Branch #2.

Brad
08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Is this the trip where your body finally catches up with your brain?:D
At least it is where it catches up with my heart.

Billy, it sounds like you have a busy few days coming up. Have a great time.

Tim&Val
08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Sometime in the next week, Owl's Head...

Still haven't decided what we're doing for FOT48... do we go back to a peak we've already done but that would have a great view of surrounding peaks (and thus we can see multiple flags)? Or do we go to a more secluded peak that we haven't done before??

Life is hard when these are the decisions we need to make :rolleyes:

Valerie

kaseri
08-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Sept 14th Franconia Ridge.
Sept 15th Presi Traverse from Appalachia to LOTC.
Sept 16th Presi Traverse from LOTC to Crawford Notch.
Sept 17th Sleep all day.

Steve M
08-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Sept 17th Sleep all day.
...and take some aleve!;)

Brad
08-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Sept 17th Sleep all day.
Do not sleep in the hot tub!

kaseri
08-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Cool.... when did they put in the hot tubs at LOTC?

;)

Brad
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I was thinking about the day after the hikes. But this a good suggestion.

There two lakes up there. Leave one cold and make the other hot.

(posted from I-81 in Va almost the the WV state line - heading north.)

Charlie
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
i could hook up the boiler to heat it but I'm not bringing in the fuel or the heater :D

Steve M
08-23-2007, 09:55 PM
i could hook up the boiler to heat it but I'm not bringing in the fuel or the heater :D
That's what helicopters are for!

Brad
08-24-2007, 02:29 AM
That's what helicopters are for!
My hiking partner 2 weeks ago was a helicopter pilot in the Navy. We now have a pilot. Anyone have a spare helicopter?

Steve M
08-24-2007, 06:47 AM
My hiking partner 2 weeks ago was a helicopter pilot in the Navy. We now have a pilot. Anyone have a spare helicopter?
I have a friend who builds model airplanes, maybe he could build us one!:D

Charlie
08-24-2007, 08:13 AM
have a training day with the national guard and they can help:D

Brad
08-24-2007, 08:30 PM
have a training day with the national guard and they can help:D
If we let them use the hot tub lake, they will probably help for sure.

Charlie
08-24-2007, 09:53 PM
OK it is big enough
team work will make things happen

Gorque
08-25-2007, 06:55 AM
I hereby declare this thread as hijacked, and hopelessly silly.

Getting back to the original purpose....I'm going to be staying at the AMC lodge @ Pinkham Notch for 3 nights with family starting this coming Thursday. Many have nevered climbed Mt Washington, so I'm planning on taking them up via Tuck's and Lionshead on the first day of decent weather. I'm the good-looking guy in the group. :D

Steve M
08-25-2007, 08:13 AM
I hereby declare this thread as hijacked, and hopelessly silly.

I'm the good-looking guy in the group. :D
Prove it with pictures, buddy!!!:D

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Brad
08-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Good thing I am in Maine right now. I may have to head over to Pinkham to see if this is true!

Steve M
08-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Good thing I am in Maine right now. I may have to head over to Pinkham to see if this is true!
Brad, you could be the official PI for the forums since you live so close.
We want all the dirt...go get em!

Gorque
08-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Oh ye nattering nabobs of negativity. :D

here (http://travel.webshots.com/album/555960686YtAwCt)

Gorque
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Looks like the weather will, for the most part, be cooperating this weekend. :)

Steve M
08-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Yup, already wishin I could head north for a loooong weekend!!:(

billysinc
08-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Well I made it back in one piece from my Hale/Zealand weekend.
I daypacked it up Hale on Sunday afternoon. I knew from the weather reports that the weather would begin improving as the day went on. Although it didn't rain while I was up there, there were no views either. There were plenty of cars in the parking lot but I didn't pass a sole up, down, or while I was on top. I did get to hang out with a friendly red squirrel I nicknamed Fred on the summit. After that it was off to Fabyans Station for some Pasta Primavera and then back to Sugarloaf II campground for the night.
Monday dawned absolutely spectacular. Cool with light breezes and low humidity. My destination was Guyot shelter. A spot I hadn't been to in a decade. The first part of the trip to the Zealand Hut is a great warmup to loosen up my 45 year old legs. The next section up to ZeaCliff is the toughest stretch of the whole trip. 1.2 miles that just don't quit. Not technically tough, just unrelenting. I reached the summit of Zealand and for those that have been there I must say it's not much to write home about but it is a 4k footer. The trail over to Guyot is a nice section with a few ups and downs rewarded when you emerge from the trail on top of Guyot with an incredible view into the Pemigewasset wilderness. I spent quite a bit of time hanging out there taking in the view knowing that I had just as good a chance of being there on a day like Sunday when there were no views. From there it was down to the shelter to claim my spot and recover. After supper I shot over to Mt. Bond to catch the sunset and to watch the full moon rise. By headlamp I headed back to the shelter.
Tuesday morning broke just as beautiful as the day before. After a quick breakfast I packed my gear, said goodbye to my sheltermates, then I put my head down and headed out. Stopping one last time on top of Guyot to admire something that words can't describe. The trail is in good shape and the only muddy spots were in the areas that have probably been muddy since the trail was first cut. Just three hours after leaving Guyot shelter and a couple of startled grouse later I was back at my car ready for the four hour ride home.

Trip pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/engineczar/20070828HaleZealand2007

Steve M
08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the report and the pics, OMG, some of them I would enlarge, frame, and put on my walls! Great stuff!

billysinc
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks, for some reason when I put them up on Picassa they get real dark. I'm not sure why, the originals look quite a bit brighter. I'm not sure if it's because they've been compressed. The original file sizes are in the 3mb range and at that size I would run out of free server space in no time.

KD Talbot
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Some really nice stuff, Billy! Did you have the place to yourself, or what? I assume the sunset shots were from Guyot? It is so cool when sunset and moonrise are more or less simultaneous. We had a similar experience on Middle Sugarloaf last October. What did you think of Sugarloaf CG? It's in our top 5 favorites. Did you climb the Sugarloafs while you were there? Definitely worth the effort. Small effort, big views.

KDT

billysinc
08-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Actually the sunset/moonrise shots were from Mt. Bond

I had Mt Bond to myself but the Guyot campsite was pretty much full. All the platforms were taken and there were 5 of us in the shelter.

billysinc
08-29-2007, 03:47 PM
How do you get good pictures of the moon?

I was trying to find a setting to catch the eclipse but I still haven't found one. This camera is still relatively new to me, about 3 months. It's a Panasonic Lumix 7.1mp and it seems to shoot good pictures almost all the time except for the times I try to get lunar type pix. Any hints out there? I'm using a tripod and I try to have the ISO turned up fairly high, or is too high the wrong way?

Brad
08-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Some moon pictures I took a while ago were with the following settings

EXIF Image Details

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS D60
Focal Length: 500.0mm
F-Number: F/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.004 sec. 1/250
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
ISO Speed: 1000

Pictures are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/nc/fall/moon/

http://images21.fotki.com/v832/photos/8/8235/2772956/CRW_1240b-vi.jpg

Charlie
08-29-2007, 07:39 PM
that looks cool
looks like a pro

Brad
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I was out last night and also early this evening taking moon pictures. Unfortunately I had to hand hold the camera as my good tripod must be back in NC. The whiter pictures were last night - and the orange ones are tonight (taken a bit earlier).

The pictures are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/maine/summer/2007-08-28-moonrise/

One from last night
http://images28.fotki.com/v998/photos/8/8235/5333915/CRW_5278a-vi.jpg

One from tonight
http://images27.fotki.com/v983/photos/8/8235/5333915/IMG_5521a-vi.jpg

Patrad Fischroy
08-30-2007, 09:40 AM
How do you get good pictures of the moon?

I was trying to find a setting to catch the eclipse but I still haven't found one. This camera is still relatively new to me, about 3 months. It's a Panasonic Lumix 7.1mp and it seems to shoot good pictures almost all the time except for the times I try to get lunar type pix. Any hints out there? I'm using a tripod and I try to have the ISO turned up fairly high, or is too high the wrong way?

Hard to say without a little more information. From what I know there are about 8 different models of Panasonic Lumix cameras with a ~7 MP. The ones I see are all 7.2. The lowest end one, the DMC-FX12 does not have any manual settings for exposure other than ISO. If this is the case it is difficult to get the shot. I assume that Brad's examples ( and fine ones at that) were taken using manual settings. The problem is that the brightness of the moon with the very dark background fools the metering, particularly if the metering is based on an average reading . Some cameras have spot metering that can help, but again that low end panasonic does not.
If you do have the ability to set the exposure manually, the settings should be on the order of the same as for a sunny day. While this may sound surprising, the moon is a sunlit object. Then you can overexpose it a little to get some detail in the surrounding sky.
A good source for information is the following
http://www.danheller.com/moon.html

billysinc
08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Link to my cameras specs

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmclz7.asp

I bought this camera just for hikes and didn't want to spend a fortune due to the risks of it being dropped or being eaten by angry chipmunks. My only complaint thus far is when the sun goes down.

Patrad Fischroy
08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Without the manual exposure, you are at the mercy of the meter in the camera, you could try to use a low ISO and see what happens. The beauty of digital is that experimentation is easy and cheap and most importantly the observation of the results is near immediate. Just head outside in a dark area tonight and try some different settings and see what works best.

Brad
08-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Without the manual exposure, you are at the mercy of the meter in the camera, you could try to use a low ISO and see what happens. The beauty of digital is that experimentation is easy and cheap and most importantly the observation of the results is near immediate. Just head outside in a dark area tonight and try some different settings and see what works best.
Are you saying to try a low ISO number - or a low quality ISO setting (like 1000)? I have been playing with both and would like to get good pictures at a 400 or 800 ISO. Normally it seems to be best at 1000 ISO.

Patrad Fischroy
09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
From what I have heard and a few attempts that I have tried when I can get out into dark skies is that basically you are shooting a brightly sunlit object, so the lower ISO and the resulting lower sensitivity of the sensor should work for you as var as the exposure goes. As an added bonus you should get some lower noise in the dark areas and, if you have any hot pixels, they should be less evident. Remember that your meter is going to be averaging over at least some of the area of dark sky. Luckily digital photography is very cheap to experiment with. With the near instant feedback it is also very easy to learn quickly what will work and what will not. By the way another tripod to stash in Maine would be an easy way to always know that one is there.;)

Brad
09-05-2007, 05:56 PM
You might also try to have the metering be based on a point (the moon) or averaged over the whole image. Then see which works well for you.