PDA

View Full Version : Observor Comments

Pages : [1] 2

Brad
08-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Ryan, thanks for your comments today about ads and signs. The picture of the little boy looking out the window with that expression on his face made me LOL.

I too like signs. In NY where there is a T intersection they post the speed limit of the cross street just before the intersection. So, you see a 50mph speed sign right before a stop sign. On route 2 in Maine a few years ago (in the middle of nowhere) I saw a general store/deli/gas station/apartment upstairs building with a sign out front, "Come in, eat and get gas".

Thanks for your posts.

Brad
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Dan, thanks for your farewell post yesterday. It was wonderful to have you on the Rockpile for this summer. We will miss your comments. But, we do hope you will join us on the forum.

Brad
10-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Linnea,

Ok - I see you will be checking thermometers for accuracy. Will that have to be done at a range of temperatures? Are are there a couple of points one checks for each thermometer and then the rest of the temperatures have the same adjustment factor?

Bill O
10-08-2007, 04:58 PM
That device looks cool, pun intended. Glad to see they are on the ball with accurate temps. It should be noted that +/- 1 degree celsius is within the acceptable range for accuracy.

Let's hope they are doing the same for their wind measurements.

Steve M
10-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Let's hope they are doing the same for their wind measurements.
Maybe we should all chip in for a wind tunnel for calibrating the wind instruments too.

Maksutov
10-09-2007, 02:58 AM
Ryan, thanks for your comments today about ads and signs. The picture of the little boy looking out the window with that expression on his face made me LOL.

I too like signs. In NY where there is a T intersection they post the speed limit of the cross street just before the intersection. So, you see a 50mph speed sign right before a stop sign. On route 2 in Maine a few years ago (in the middle of nowhere) I saw a general store/deli/gas station/apartment upstairs building with a sign out front, "Come in, eat and get gas".

Thanks for your posts.I sort of remember a sign like that outside Jimmy's Diner in Auburn, The State of Maine, back in the 1950s.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8352/jimmysdinerauburnmainebw5.th.jpg (http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jimmysdinerauburnmainebw5.jpg)

Brad
10-16-2007, 08:58 AM
The comments today are from "Steve Welsh - IT Observer". Welcome to the Rockpile and your new job. What is nice to see is a resident IT person on the staff. Has this always been the case or is it a new position?

Knapper
10-17-2007, 01:45 AM
. What is nice to see is a resident IT person on the staff. Has this always been the case or is it a new position?

The IT position is a new position on the summit. Each shift has three observers. A staff meteorologist, an educational observer, and an IT observer. We currently have our six observers with Steve being the last in our trifecta per shift.

We have always had IT but they usually reside in the valley making it to fix things when they brake in the winter when sometimes only one snow cat makes it up a week. The IT observer will now do our summit IT things and the valley IT will focus on that end.

Brad
10-17-2007, 05:31 AM
What is the typical Summit IT Observer's reaction when they see the server room up top with the open windows letting the fog roll in? I know my reaction.

Charlie
10-17-2007, 07:38 PM
What is the typical Summit IT Observer's reaction when they see the server room up top with the open windows letting the fog roll in? I know my reaction.

well they can say that things are not getting to hot:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Patrad Fischroy
10-18-2007, 09:01 AM
How about " All this and I am the highest paid IT in New England" :cool:

Mike D
10-18-2007, 02:26 PM

That's a work in progress.

Brad
10-18-2007, 02:33 PM
That's a work in progress.
Actually, once you have real power, then you can have real A/C.

Brad
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Looks like the Observers need a few sleds to experiment wind forces with . . .

Steve M
10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Looks like the Observers need a few sleds to experiment wind forces with . . .
I agree...I am so surprised that they don't already have at least one sled up there. I mean being in the land of ice and snow and all.

Brad
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree...I am so surprised that they don't already have at least one sled up there. I mean being in the land of ice and snow and all.
How about you and I pick one up and deliver it - together - to them - on top?

Charlie
10-21-2007, 04:00 PM
i was just thinking the same thing
the round flying saucer type or the type of plastic one that role up.

do you think if we were to do something like this they would let us up the auto road for free to drop off free stuff for them :D :D
or you will have to hike it up to the top .:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
or if you cant just drop it off at the discovery center and they can get it to them :( :(

Steve M
10-21-2007, 04:04 PM
How about you and I pick one up and deliver it - together - to them - on top?

do you think if we were to do something like this they would let us up the auto road for free to drop off free stuff for them
I like both these ideas!

Brad
10-21-2007, 04:14 PM
i was just thinking the same thing
the round flying saucer type or the type of plastic one that role up.

do you think if we were to do something like this they would let us up the auto road for free to drop off free stuff for them :D :D
or you will have to hike it up to the top .:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
or if you cant just drop it off at the discovery center and they can get it to them :( :(
Discovery Center drop off is no fun. We have to get to the summit. I wonder if stores are even selling sleds yet.

Charlie
10-21-2007, 04:26 PM
you are right about the droop off so it will just have to be delivered.:D :D :D

and I'm sure they are in stores up here by now

Steve M
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
you are right about the droop off so it will just have to be delivered.:D :D :D

and I'm sure they are in stores up here by now
No doubt about it, they are in the stores. Should we get them a saucer, a toboggan, or a flexible flyer?

Charlie
10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
well you can tell my kids are older i did not know the proper names :D

Brad
10-21-2007, 05:38 PM
No doubt about it, they are in the stores. Should we get them a saucer, a toboggan, or a flexible flyer?
I actually threw away 2 saucers last trip north. :confused: Maybe Reny's will have something when I am up next trip. I am sure I can find a way to get them to the summit that Vet's Day weekend. Are you listening Scot?

Charlie
10-21-2007, 06:02 PM
there you go just give them to him :D

Patrad Fischroy
10-22-2007, 08:35 AM
On the same note but with a different tack, the photos of Stacey sliding across the deck reminds me of the "moving rocks" at Racetrack Playa in Death Valley. With Stacey sitting there and the track of her passage clearly visible, the similarity is uncanny. I have some photos of the rocks, but not with me now. When I can access them I will post.

Knapper
10-22-2007, 01:52 PM
No worries everyone, we do have sleds, we just have not brought them to the summit yet. But since we blow out at least one a month (in the winter), we are always looking for more especially this time of year since Sprawl-mart has not stocked any yet.

kaseri
10-22-2007, 02:39 PM
What you guys really need on the summit is one of these....

The Hammerhead (http://www.hammerheadsled.com)

I would be willing to bring mine up to the summit at some point this winter if the OBS staff would like to try it out.

KD Talbot
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Have you been into Tucks with that yet?

KDT

kaseri
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Not yet but I hope to this year. Rumor has it there is a "street" that goes to the summit of a mountain in the presidential range. The road is about 7 miles long. That might make for a nice sled ride. :)

Brad
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Have you all checked out the museum? Can not remember if it is the one at the top or the one in the Cog Base Station. There used to be a paper printed on the summit of MW. Early in the morning a man with a bundle of papers would get on a sled - on the cog's tracks - and ride down to the base. On one side was a hand brake to stay under control. The museum has the fastest time posted by one of the sleds. Anyone remember what the time was? I recall it was unbelievable.

Steve M
10-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Not yet but I hope to this year. Rumor has it there is a "street" that goes to the summit of a mountain in the presidential range. The road is about 7 miles long. That might make for a nice sled ride. :)
Or a nice death ride!:eek:

Have you been into Tucks with that yet?

I can see the reports, "Man on a sled reaches bottom of Tucks and is not found until spring":p

Brad
10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I can see the reports, "Man on a sled reaches bottom of Tucks and is not found until spring":p
Or the report is "Man on sled reaches bottom of Tucks - sled still going and going and going."

KD Talbot
10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
I always wanted to take that ride. A little faster than the Cog. I think there are several names on the wall of people who attempted that ride on something they called the Devil's Slideboard, or something to that effect. A couple of guys not so many years ago stole some from the museum and took them for a ride down the tracks. Their names are on the wall. It's all fun until someone gets killed.

KDT

Steve M
10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
I always wanted to take that ride. A little faster than the Cog. I think there are several names on the wall of people who attempted that ride on something they called the Devil's Slideboard, or something to that effect. A couple of guys not so many years ago stole some from the museum and took them for a ride down the tracks. Their names are on the wall. It's all fun until someone gets killed.

KDT
Their death shows there lack of understanding of their undertaking...which lead to a phone call to the undertaker!:cool:

kaseri
10-22-2007, 09:32 PM
The Hammerhead is very controllable. I have no doubt that one would be able to safely sled down the auto road or tucks (within reason).

Knapper
10-22-2007, 11:25 PM
I have done the full eight miles of the auto road just once on a sled. It was an orange tobaggon type and I couldn't walk for a few days due to the ruts shacking me to death. I attempted it another time but had the sled disintegrate before reaching the bottom. We also have a Swiss sled that has a steering wheel that works great. Down side: employees are only allowed to sled down on Wednesdays now. Volunteers or our friends/guests are no longer allowed to go with or without us. This is due to safety concerns which is totally understandable since the road still takes passengers up to half way in the winter and it is sometimes rough to see someone sledding down the mountain from a jacked up van or snow kat.

Steve M
10-22-2007, 11:51 PM
I have done the full eight miles of the auto road just once on a sled. It was an orange tobaggon type and I couldn't walk for a few days due to the ruts shacking me to death. I attempted it another time but had the sled disintegrate before reaching the bottom. We also have a Swiss sled that has a steering wheel that works great. Down side: employees are only allowed to sled down on Wednesdays now. Volunteers or our friends/guests are no longer allowed to go with or without us. This is due to safety concerns which is totally understandable since the road still takes passengers up to half way in the winter and it is sometimes rough to see someone sledding down the mountain from a jacked up van or snow kat.
WOW, a seven mile sled ride. Beats the heck out of anything I did as a kid!

Brad
10-23-2007, 05:07 AM
WOW, a seven mile sled ride. Beats the heck out of anything I did as a kid!
I am sure sledding in FL is somewhat limited. :cool:

kaseri
10-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Thats ok, I like Thursdays better anyway....

:)

Bill O
10-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I have done the full eight miles of the auto road just once on a sled. It was an orange tobaggon type and I couldn't walk for a few days due to the ruts shacking me to death.

Same story on my end too. Did the full eight miles once, essentially non-stop. It was on a kids sled that had steering and brakes and built for somebody about half my size.

I also could not walk for more than a couple of days after that. It rattled everything in my body and it felt like my tail bone got chipped.

KD Talbot
10-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Wow, sounds like Tucks would be safer than the Auto Road? Bill, do you still have any film from Tucks? I seem to remember an airborne sled and tumbling rider. Was that yours?

KDT

Bill O
10-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow, sounds like Tucks would be safer than the Auto Road? Bill, do you still have any film from Tucks? I seem to remember an airborne sled and tumbling rider. Was that yours?

KDT

Just uploaded one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8pflHPIsR_U

Look around in my videos for a skier wiping out that should go live in the next few hours.

KD Talbot
10-23-2007, 07:56 PM
That's the one! Thanks, Bill!

KDT

Brad
10-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Wild ride for sure. I added a link to it in the Our Videos section of our MWO Fotki site.

Steve M
10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Just uploaded one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8pflHPIsR_U

Look around in my videos for a skier wiping out that should go live in the next few hours.
Was that you on the sled?? There are a lot of videos on youtube on skiing Tucks. I was just checking them out. Really cool stuff. One day I will try it.

Bill O
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Was that you on the sled?? There are a lot of videos on youtube on skiing Tucks. I was just checking them out. Really cool stuff. One day I will try it.

For the record that is not me on the sled nor is that me screaming/talking in the background.

Steve M
10-24-2007, 07:08 PM
For the record that is not me on the sled nor is that me screaming/talking in the background.
If that was you my next question would have been, how many days after were you sore?:eek: ouch!

Brad
10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I could not believe the guy stood up at the end of it.

Brad
10-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Aubrie's comments and photos about the summit fox are neat. To think you can get that close to "him". I do like this one best. Is he asking, "where is Jim"?

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2007/IMG_2570.JPG

Steve M
10-27-2007, 08:50 AM
These are great shots of the fox. It makes me want to take him home with me. Although I don't think he would like Florida much. It's hard to think of him as a wild animal. He looks so domesticated.

Charlie
10-27-2007, 08:57 PM
i think rosie would like to play with him or her:D

Steve M
10-28-2007, 03:47 PM
i think rosie would like to play with him or her:D
I bet she would! I wonder how well that would go?:rolleyes:

Charlie
10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I bet she would! I wonder how well that would go?:rolleyes:

Rosie loves to play with our rabbits and never gets aggressive with other dogs ,cats ect.
so it would be up to the fox

see

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/hawk63/disk1001.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/hawk63/DSCF3976.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/hawk63/DSCF3975.jpg

Steve M
10-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Those are really cute pics! I wasn't concerned about Rosie, it was the fox I was thinking of.

Brad
10-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Ryan, thanks for your comments and perspective. Stay safe.

Charlie
10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
in todays comments Ryan said " But the fear of seclusion confronts me every time I go to deice an instrument, collect the precipitation can or just outside doing my observation. I am alone. If I get hurt, it will be hours until someone notices that I am not inside "how many times did some one go out and slip and fall when doing this .maybe there is a way that you can have something that would work of a remote control to set off an alarm so the others sleeping will know you are down.
or they can put in a " sorry for the wording " dead man alarm that you would hit before you go out and if you did not come in with in a preset time it would go off and wake others up ????:eek:

other then that just be safe;) ;)

Brad
10-29-2007, 08:11 PM
in todays comments Ryan said " But the fear of seclusion confronts me every time I go to deice an instrument, collect the precipitation can or just outside doing my observation. I am alone. If I get hurt, it will be hours until someone notices that I am not inside "how many times did some one go out and slip and fall when doing this .maybe there is a way that you can have something that would work of a remote control to set off an alarm so the others sleeping will know you are down.
or they can put in a " sorry for the wording " dead man alarm that you would hit before you go out and if you did not come in with in a preset time it would go off and wake others up ????:eek:

other then that just be safe;) ;)
Get a Life Alert thingie.

Steve M
10-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Get a Life Alert thingie.
"I've fallen and I can't get up":p :rolleyes:

Brad
10-30-2007, 05:58 AM
On Americas Cup sailboats when they want the spinnaker down there is a high speed winch which hauls it back down into the sewer (inside the boat). Fasten one end to the observer going out on the deck for an observation and if s/he needs to get back inside and needs help . . .

Steve M
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
On Americas Cup sailboats when they want the spinnaker down there is a high speed winch which hauls it back down into the sewer (inside the boat). Fasten one end to the observer going out on the deck for an observation and if s/he needs to get back inside and needs help . . .
What if he/she is all the way around the corner over by the precip can? Ouchie!

Patrad Fischroy
10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
I think I have seen that cartoon on the roadrunner. you know, one where coyote gets whipped around a bunch of things before getting slammed into a cliff face.

Steve M
10-31-2007, 09:41 PM
I think I have seen that cartoon on the roadrunner. you know, one where coyote gets whipped around a bunch of things before getting slammed into a cliff face.
Yea, I can see Ryan getting dragged back by one foot. Screaming all the way!

Brad
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
A great group picture posted in the comments.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2007/group_halloween.JPG

Steve M
11-01-2007, 06:45 PM
A great group picture posted in the comments.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2007/group_halloween.JPG
Why didn't anyone dress up for the shot???:D

Brad
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Why didn't anyone dress up for the shot???:D
They might have been going every witch way.

Steve M
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
They might have been going every witch way.
Sort of a ghastly bunch wouldn't you say? I thought the pumpkins were cool.

Charlie
11-01-2007, 07:54 PM
it looks like the others are dressed up like M W Observors ;)

KD Talbot
11-01-2007, 08:00 PM
The guy on the left dressed like Ken "Fran-Ken-stein" Rancourt definitely gets my vote for scariest costume!

KDT

Steve M
11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
The guy on the left dressed like Ken "Fran-Ken-stein" Rancourt definitely gets my vote for scariest costume!

KDT
I really like the tin man outfit as well.

Brad
11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Wonderful picture posted with the updated comments.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2007/110602-lg.jpg

Steve M
11-06-2007, 09:45 PM
That's an awesome shot. Let's hope Stacey is right in her snowfall forecast.:)

Brad
11-07-2007, 04:50 AM
That's an awesome shot. Let's hope Stacey is right in her snowfall forecast.:)
As the dawn breaks, non-observers all over the land wait with baited breath for the sight of a fresh snow covered Rockpile jutting in the air over the undercast sparkling in the . .

Hope it looks nice.

Steve M
11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
From what I can see it's looking really white up there.:)

Brad
11-09-2007, 07:25 PM
You folks are observing things well. Thanks for taking us along at least with the pictures. You are having way too much fun.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2007/110918-lg.jpg

Charlie
11-09-2007, 07:44 PM
yes thank you for taking us up there with you [ in this way ]:D

Steve M
11-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Don't forget to post your awesome skiing video as well. We want to be there with you.:)

Knapper
11-10-2007, 02:22 AM
No videos, just pics. The winters young though.

Brad
11-10-2007, 05:30 PM
No videos, just pics. The winters young though.
Helmet Cam?

Brad
11-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Yes, a dull weather day for the comments today. Posting a picture of the new dishwasher is the ultimate for us.

spyboy
11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I have a helmet cam, i could never get it aligned correctly, so when I was snowboarding, I'd have to keep my head turned slightly (not easy to ride that way). I should probably work on realigning it before ski season, maybe using a laser pointer to figure out where it's going.

k

Helmet Cam?

KD Talbot
11-12-2007, 02:21 PM
I for one share in the excitement about the new dishwasher. I'll be enjoying the fact that it is now installed while I'm using it instead of elbow grease from 11/21 to 11/28. This means I'll be watching football after Thanksgiving dinner instead of cleaning up by hand. I had enough of that in the military. Thanks Peter, for getting that installed.

KDT

Acrophobe
11-12-2007, 03:54 PM
You get to stay up there? I'm jealous. ;)

How many others are there? Where do you stay? That big building that's open to the public, the one with the museum and gift shop? Must get a tad lonely if it's just you up there all alone. I don't imagine there are many visitors this time of year. :)

Incidently, I just read a book about an expedition that spent the winter of 1870 - 1871 on the summit. Sounded epic - ten feet from a red hot stove, a thermometer read 13 degrees, according to the narrative.

Mike D
11-12-2007, 05:01 PM
You get to stay up there? I'm jealous. ;)

How many others are there? Where do you stay? That big building that's open to the public, the one with the museum and gift shop? Must get a tad lonely if it's just you up there all alone. I don't imagine there are many visitors this time of year. :)

Incidently, I just read a book about an expedition that spent the winter of 1870 - 1871 on the summit. Sounded epic - ten feet from a red hot stove, a thermometer read 13 degrees, according to the narrative.

Acrophobe, you can search these forums for other threads on volunteering that have gone into detail. If you are interested, here is a link:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/volunteer/

Acrophobe
11-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for that. Do you stay up there, Mike? If so, what do you think of it? - I've never heard from anyone who actually stays up at the roof of New England. Kinda like meeting a football hero would be for my patriots-obsessed boss. ;)

KD Talbot
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Did you ever see "The Shining"? well, "Here's Johnny!" No, just kidding. It's a lot of fun. There's always at least a crew of four and someone from the State Park, and of course, don't forget Nin. I'll be posting here while I'm doing my stint.

"Wendy, I'm home!" Sorry, sorry, just kidding. No, really.

We'll be warmer than the guys in the Signal Corp, too.

KDT

Brad
11-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Brian, you guys are crazing to me skiing over that......thud.

Great comments, videos and pictures. can you correct the URL for the link in the comments section to picture IMG_1909.JPG? It gives a 404 error.

The pictures from the bottom of the gully are great!

Knapper
11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
can you correct the URL for the link in the comments section to picture IMG_1909.JPG? It gives a 404 error.

Done and done. Thanks for the heads up.

Brad
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Done and done. Thanks for the heads up.
Ryan, thanks for the fix. The image was worth the trouble of going back and correcting the URL. That is steep!

Brad
12-01-2007, 09:32 AM
So time to head outside with my wool socks, winter boots, long johns, snow pants, two shirts, down coat with a shell over it, neck warmer, goggles, skull cap, and winter hat!

Zach Allen – Meteorologist
Folks, I have seen Zach's "winter hat". It would be fun to post a picture of it here, but it might scare people away. How well does it work in high winds with those ends flapping around?

Brad
12-02-2007, 07:27 PM
This is a great picture that was highlighted in the comments today.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2007/120218-lg.jpg

EricJ
12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I thought the same. I've never seen anything like it. It gives the illusion that snow is blowing straight off the top at great speed. It must have been quite a day at the top of New England.

Brad
12-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Have a good shift change tomorrow with the snow.

Brad
12-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Suggestion - How about posting a list of the DVDs you do have at the summit. Then, if someone would like to send off some additional ones, we would not be duplicating what you already have.

Another way of managing the list would be to use DVD Profiler.
http://www.invelos.com/dvdpro/Info.aspx

h2oeco
12-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Another option would be for a few of us to get together, and sponsor a Netflix subscription for the observatory. That way, each shift would have new movies to bring up, each week. When they come down, they mail them back. There is no time limit, so if both shifts want to watch the same movie, they can just keep it longer... Netflix is anywhere from $17 to $24/month, depending on how many DVDs you are allowed to have out simultaneously - $17 allows 3 out at a time, unlimited per month, $24 is 4 out at a time, with unlimited per month. I would be willing to contribute...

Ed

Mike D
12-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Another option would be for a few of us to get together, and sponsor a Netflix subscription for the observatory. That way, each shift would have new movies to bring up, each week. When they come down, they mail them back. There is no time limit, so if both shifts want to watch the same movie, they can just keep it longer... Netflix is anywhere from $17 to $24/month, depending on how many DVDs you are allowed to have out simultaneously - $17 allows 3 out at a time, unlimited per month, $24 is 4 out at a time, with unlimited per month. I would be willing to contribute...

Ed

We toyed with this idea when I was an intern. What do the Observers think?

Knapper
12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I bring my Netflix up here from time to time but to have a summit account would be kind of cool. But the amount we would get to rent would be few and far between since we only get to send mail once a week. And one shift would get the short end of the stick when we are mailing back the DVD's. As for a list of movies, that would be fairly time consuming since we have a pretty fair selection up here. Pretty much, if has come out in the past two years though, odds are we do not have them. Or TV series DVD's (family guy, simpsons, scrubs, seinfeld, arrested development, 30 rock, etc), we don't have many of those as well. Pretty much, if you bust into the bargain bins where everything is like 3 bucks, odds are we don't have those as well. But please, no B-movies. If you would not watch them, odds are we won't want to either.

h2oeco
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Netflix now allows you to watch moves via the internet...

"With Netflix, you will be able to watch movies instantly on your PC at no additional cost. The number of hours varies by plan. On our most popular plan, the 3 at-a-time unlimited plan for $16.99 a month, you will also be able to watch Unlimited hours of movies and TV episodes instantly on your PC - all in addition to your regular "by mail" selections!"

You could run a video cable from the PC downstairs to the TV. Is your internet connection up to this? There is a free trial...

h2oeco
12-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Another option would be to have two of the less expensive mail-in plans - each shift could have their own plan... No one gets the short end...

Charlie
12-20-2007, 05:52 PM
if some one wants to send DVDs ask them if they have it in a new topic post
summit DVDs ?

Knapper
12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
We have tried the streaming video option on my netflix but the quality of movies on that option are sub par and no name movies. Although we do fire it up from time to time.

Steve M
12-20-2007, 11:19 PM
The netflix idea is a good one though, because a new release even at Wal-mart is 20.00 for just one movie. You can watch 2+ movies a week for the price of one with an almost unlimited selection.

Bill O
12-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the latest update in the comments, Brian. I noticed there was a communications meltdown sometime on Sunday.

I'm surprised you only peaked at 103mph, considering how windy it was in the valleys.

Patrad Fischroy
12-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I guess that this means that no fiber optics were installed when the power line was placed to the summit.

Brad
12-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I Just have to paste the comments from this morning here to save them for all to enjoy.

-----
00:33 AM Tue Dec 25th

‘Twas the night before Christmas, and up on the summit
Temperatures were cold as they started to plummet.
Our stockings were hung below the TV with care,
In hopes that a man in red would soon be there.

The day shift was nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of cookie men danced in their heads;
And Nin in his box and me in my gear
Both dreamt that the morning would soon be here.

When up on the deck there rose such a clatter,
I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter.
Away to the deck door I flew like a flash,
Unlocked and threw open the door making it clash.

The moon shown through the fog on the snow,
Giving the summit that all too familiar winter glow.
When what to my confused, wide eyes should appear,
But a flying sleigh, and eight giant reindeer.

Landing on the obs deck, so icy and slick
I knew in a flash that it must be Saint Nick.
As they struggled with winds that bring us such fame;
Watching as he shouted to the ‘deer by name.

“Push, Dasher! Pull Dancer! Great, Prancer and Vixen!
Go, Comet! And Cupid! Fly, Donner and Blitzen!
To the top of the deck! Just careful, please don’t fall.
Please just land safely, is what I ask, that’s all.”

As rime that before hurricane force winds do fly,
Then meet with an observers face and make them kinda cry.
So skillfully to the deck the reindeer flew,
With a sled full of stuff, and the man in red too.

As I headed in, I hear on the roof
The landing and slamming of each giant hoof.
As I typed in the ob, I just turned around,
And down the stairs he went without a sound.

He was decked in Bean gear from head to foot
And his clothes looked surprisingly clean, no soot.
A bundle of stuff he had threw on his back
And he looked like a day hiker opening his sack.

His eyes had a twinkle and his smile was merry!
His cheeks were bright red, his nose like a cherry!
He needed a facemask since frostbite started to show
And his beard was covered in rime and blowing snow.

He applied lip balm getting some on his teeth,
And the rime encircled his cap like a wreath.
He had a large face and fairly round belly,
Shacking like a lava lamp or a bowl of jelly.

He was hypnotic as he looked at books on our shelf
I had to laugh when I saw him, but silent, to myself.
A bit of a wink as he turned his head
Let me know there’s nothing to dread.

He didn’t speak much just went to his work
Filling our stockings with a little smirk.
He then turned and tapped the side of his nose,
Gave a nod, and time seemed to have froze.

He returned to his sled and gave his team a shout
And away they slid, upstream like a trout.
But I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight,
“Merry Christmas to the obs, and to all, good night!”

Ryan Knapp – Staff Meteorologist

Brad
12-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Aubrie, from your comment posted today it sounds like you are off to bigger and loftier plans and places - college. Have a great time - please continue to drop in here to the forum. We would like to know how you are doing.

KD Talbot
12-26-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm glad I got to meet you while you were there. You are one of the reasons that the Obs is special. You will do well wherever you go! If you rescue the next brood of ducklings again this spring, please post pictures and let us know how they do! Good luck with college!

Kevin Talbot (Volunteer)

Brad
01-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Lynn,

Nice to see you back on the summit for a while. The idea of getting out of bed on the summit because the cows have gotten loose just sent me laughing across the room! A summit cow would be so much more practical than a goat. The goat would "leave" in high winds whereas a cow weighs a lot more.

I can see it now - a new Breakfast of Champions video of Lynn - feeding the cow in the fenced in deck area.

nhbuck
03-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I sort of remember a sign like that outside Jimmy's Diner in Auburn, The State of Maine, back in the 1950s.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8352/jimmysdinerauburnmainebw5.th.jpg (http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jimmysdinerauburnmainebw5.jpg)
Dad would look forward to eating at the diner when going to Lewiston to visit family....forgot about that place....but not the good food yum!!
RB

AubriePace
03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks so much for your comments Brad and KD. I apologize for only responding to them now, but I just got a forum user name. It was a great experience being on the summit for my fall semester. I am in my freshman year at Wheaton College in Norton, Mass and loving it. After completing midterms, I spent some of my Spring Break on the summit. It was amazing to go back and I am so thankful the crew let me go up. KD, I hope you are doing well and I have not yet heard anything about the ducklings, but I will let you know. Back to work!

Brad
06-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Brian, thanks for the update on the LL Bean visit today. That sure looked like a busy lunch table!

And thanks to LL Bean for your MWO support.

Neil
08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Today's comment by Ted stated that Krumholtz are pines. In fact Krumholtz is merely a term that roughly translates as twisted wood and can be used to describe any of a number of species of trees that grow, often prostrate, at the upper limits of tree line. In the whites the dominant species within the Krumholtz are black spruce and balsam fir, neither of which is a pine. Both of these trees have extreme cold tolerance and, I believe it is the black spruce, can send out roots where branches touch the ground allowing them to grow in dense mats capable of surviving the punishing winds and extreme icing.

-Neil

KD Talbot
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
When I read that I knew it needed clarification!

KDT

JimS
08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks Neil,

Completely correct, and I did a quick edit to his comment.

I owe you an email after shift as well...good to hear from you!

Steve M
08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Neil,

It's great to see you around the forums. I met you with my son in 2006 when you gave us a tour or the Obs. You held Nin while my son stood next to you for a picture. I appreciate you bringing clarity to posts so we can understand with greater depth the beauty and reality of weather and life above tree line in the Whites.

http://images23.fotki.com/v857/photos/1/1138397/4890693/Picture136-vi.jpg

Neil
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Steve,

I definitely recall that day!
Looking at that picture, I think Nin must have been mad at me for plucking him off his favorite spot on the heater.

Now that I have a job requiring many hours in front of a computer I find myself on these forums a bit more!

-Neil

Mike D
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Neil, I think Nin should have been carrying you.

What are you doing now?

Neil
08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
hehe, I'm currently thinking of the way in which when nin would run the bouncing of his weight forced out little "meows" with each step. Ridiculous.

Mike, I'm currently working for the Meteorology Dept. here at the Univ. of Utah. I write perl and cshell scripts to process meteorological data, insert it into databases, and then serve it to the web. Here is a link to the site:
http:/www.met.utah.edu/mesowest

In a few weeks I start full time as a graduate student in Meteorology; can't wait.

Oh and I go hiking a lot and yes I'm still skiing even though it is August!

-Neil

Mike D
08-06-2008, 04:51 PM
We have pearls and seashells here in NH, why did you go all the way out there?

But seriously, we have perl and cshell scripts here in NH that need to be written, come back here. Well, I hope you are doing it artistically at least. I had a web developer friend with a t-shirt that said "code poet".

It is 96 deg F in Boise. Must be nice.

When you done ejukating, what are your plans?

Mike, I'm currently working for the Meteorology Dept. here at the Univ. of Utah. I write perl and cshell scripts to process meteorological data, insert it into databases, and then serve it to the web. Here is a link to the site:
http:/www.met.utah.edu/mesowest

Brad
08-14-2008, 05:13 PM
The comments talk about Maine Coon and also about Marty. Is Marty a Maine Coon? The comments do not say one way or another.

Knapper
08-14-2008, 10:16 PM
The comments talk about Maine Coon and also about Marty. Is Marty a Maine Coon? The comments do not say one way or another.

Yes, Marty is a Maine Coon.

Steve M
08-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I just read todays comments and what an awesome event to have been able to witness first hand. An hour of hail. I only hope everyone on the trails during this storm were safe.

Jim, it's nice to see you get to fill in for those on vacation. Soon though you will be back in the classroom which I'm sure you are looking forward to as well.

Brad
08-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I walked in the Weather Room on the summit today and was very surprised and pleased to see Jim up there. Jim gave us our tour ( I had 3 people with me who had not been on a full tour before) and he did a wonderful job. My friend's son got up on the tower - wind blowing close to 50 MPH - clouds all around us - and Michael loved it.

Thanks Jim for one more great tour.

Charlie
08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
glad they had a good time

now tell them to become a member so we can get the cams turned on :D

Steve M
08-17-2008, 09:16 PM
I walked in the Weather Room on the summit today and was very surprised and pleased to see Jim up there. Jim gave us our tour ( I had 3 people with me who had not been on a full tour before) and he did a wonderful job. My friend's son got up on the tower - wind blowing close to 50 MPH - clouds all around us - and Michael loved it.

Thanks Jim for one more great tour.

Sounds like a great time. Looks like we are going to have a great time on Wed. Maybe I will be standing outside in greater than 50 MPH winds.:)

Charlie
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a great time. Looks like we are going to have a great time on Wed. Maybe I will be standing outside in greater than 50 MPH winds.:)

put a some ski goggles with a picture of the tower on the in side and then you will think you are on top of the world again :D

KathyC
08-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Yes, Marty is a Maine Coon.

My cat is very similar to Marty, black with an under coat. When I brush / comb her so much hair comes off that we could build another cat.:D

She's not much of a lap cat, but is always under my feet and Very vocal.

Brad
08-19-2008, 05:55 AM
When we were eating we saw Marty roaming around the big room. But, on the tour we did not see her at all. No pictures this trip, so will have to go back.

Brad
08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
I checked out Cay's pictures from his week (so far) at the summit as volunteer cook. One grabbed me as it is "so like Jim". Here is Jim Salge working hard with his camera.

http://www.planetranger.com/mountwashington/photos/large/L382291.jpg

Brad
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Natalie,

I saw your farewell comment today. Sorry to see you go, but glad you were here. I do hope you fulfill the promise to come back. On Sunday I did not get a chance to say hi as it looked like you were working (as opposed to Jim).

All the best!

Bill O
08-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Natalie,

I saw your farewell comment today. Sorry to see you go, but glad you were here. I do hope you fulfill the promise to come back. On Sunday I did not get a chance to say hi as it looked like you were working (as opposed to Jim).

All the best!

She was busy entering her millions of pieces of data.

KathyC
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Todays comments about Mt. Chocura. I just have to say that Ilove that mountain. I have a framed photo of it hanging in my living room right across from the giant moose (winter scene) painting.

My family and I used to stay at the Fox Ridge all the time and you could Mt. Chocura from the hotel, I used to just sit and stare at the top of it, it kind of hooks at the top. I've actually been to the Champney falls, it's so pretty there.

Would that be an OK hike for someone who isn't much of a hiker? I was hoping to get up there this August to actually try to hike it, but it didn't work out that way, I've been stuck in Jersey.:(

As always, I love the comments.

Brad
08-23-2008, 05:05 AM
The radar looks like the rain is overhead for you and you are in the storm now. Keep us posted.

Steve M
08-24-2008, 04:51 PM
It started raining in my area around midnight Friday morning and didn't stop until 8:00 last night. This was a rain event. Not much wind. A few gusts were impressive but the rain was really impressive! Our back yard was a flowing river all day yesterday. It averaged 6" deep with spots over a foot deep. The garden requires much work to restore. The pool did fine, had to keep a drain open so it wouldn't overflow. We lost power briefly three times, once for an hour and a half.

I went out several times during the day yesterday to see how the area was fairing. Lots of water over the roads and some bridges impassable. All low lying areas flooded. This is the first storm where I have ever seen cascading waterfalls coming out of peoples yards. Some roads undermined and washed out. Many people without power due either to flood water or trees down.

Tallahassee airport reported 19" of rainfall.
My rain gauge measured 14.59".

One tornado touched down 10 miles southwest of here with damage only done to trees.

Brad
08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
But it sounds like you are safe and okay.

Steve M
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
But it sounds like you are safe and okay.

Made it through another one.:D

Rich
08-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear you weathered the storm well.

Charlie
08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
glad your ok but nothing like on top of washington

KathyC
09-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Brian Clark:

Thank you so much for todays comments about Marty and his adventure to the hut with you. I'm glad that both of you had fun.

I enjoyed the read.

KD Talbot
09-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Wow! Quite a story! We used to have a cat that insisted on following when we would take the dog on her last walk of the night. Of course, he wouldn't exactly walk with us. It was more like he was making a game of stalking us.

Way to go, Marty!

KDT

KathyC
09-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I need to add that I think all of the comments are a great read....

I really do enjoy them and the photos. Thank you.:)

bclark
09-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Brian Clark:

Thank you so much for todays comments about Marty and his adventure to the hut with you. I'm glad that both of you had fun.

I enjoyed the read.

You're very welcome and thank you all for the positive feedback on the observer comments in general. It isn't always easy for someone on the crew to come up with something to write about every day, but we do our best.

I think Marty had more fun than me on the hike. In the end it was definitely fun for me, but it did make me cut my social visit to Lakes short after all. Marty is lucky that I like him...and of course he's cute :)

By the way, tomorrow's comment will be from someone that works on the crew that has never written a comment before. This person isn't an intern or a volunteer either, and this is the third year that this person has been working seasonally for the Observatory.

TrishandAlex
09-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Today's comments were so enjoyable. We have three cats, one of which is an indoor/outdoor cat. That one was adopted as an adult, and she had been an outdoor cat previously, so we let her outside for short while each day. If I try to walk anywhere while she's outside, she'll follow me. I always put her inside before going anywhere, for fear she'll try to follow me across a busy street and get hit by a car.

I could visualize Marty following you all the way down (and up!) the Crawford Path. Great story. She must now be one tired kitty.

Brad
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Sharon, what is your shift schedule like? Is it the same 8 days on and 7 off as the Observers?

Steve M
09-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Sharon, what is your shift schedule like? Is it the same 8 days on and 7 off as the Observers?

The gift shop/museum attendants do work the same shifts as the crew. They are part of the crew during the summer months.

KathyC
09-29-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm so happy to see Nin so cozy and looking well...

He's such a pretty cat.

Bill O
09-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Is Nin wearing a harness?

mtruman
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Is Nin wearing a harness?

Looks like he doesn't mind too much. That's the look of a happy cat...

Bill O
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Looks like he doesn't mind too much. That's the look of a happy cat...

He does look happy, and a little skinnier.

I suppose if you are taking a cat for a walk (which is really weird by the way) they need a harness.

KathyC
10-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I've tried getting a harness or even a collar on my cat, it doesn't work...:rolleyes:

MsCntry
10-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I've tried getting a harness or even a collar on my cat, it doesn't work...:rolleyes:

The cat I have now is a houdini with a collar. I think she has hidden opposible thumbs LOL. She can actually unhook the plastic snap clip (like the ones on a back pack), but the dog took care of the problem since he chewed it up :p
When I was living with my sister in Kansas she had 2 black cats, and I had a siamese. We lived in the city so we didn't want them to run off. Hers took a bit of holding, but they didn't mind the harness knowing they were going outside, and all I had to do was put the harness down to my cat's level, and he would put his head through for you!! LOL He was an awesome cat. I had to leave him behind when I moved up here for Joe :(

KathyC
10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
As always good comments today, letting people know what to expect. I'm heading to North Conway in the morning, leaving NJ by 6 am. I am hoping to get to the summit on Saturday, that would be the best way I could think of to spend my Birthday!!!:D

I am really hoping that Marty is around so I could meet him. :)

Knapper
10-17-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the comment. I wrote it since we were getting questions on when things close since people think we are all run by one organization when in fact there are four seperate groups that work up top. Also, the weekend after the summit closes is typically when we have a surge in people needing help since they come even more grossly unprepared than usual. So hopefully this helps people in their planning.

As for the cat, he should be around but be prepared not to see him as well since he has free range of the summit and is sometimes not around for the public to see even if they take an tour of the obs. So good luck.

Also, keep an eye on the weather, it is going to get cold up top the next few days which will mean icing up top and the road only being open to half way. So call the numbers listed in the comment to check on availability prior to driving up and being disappointed in not making it to the summit. But hopefully all work out for you, especially for your B-day.

Cheers!

mtruman
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
As always good comments today, letting people know what to expect. I'm heading to North Conway in the morning, leaving NJ by 6 am. I am hoping to get to the summit on Saturday, that would be the best way I could think of to spend my Birthday!!!:D

I am really hoping that Marty is around so I could meet him. :)

Happy Birthday Kathy! Hope you get to spend it on the summit as planned. Can't think of a better place to do it! If you do see Marty say hello for me. We saw him briefly during STP but he took off before we could meet him. I'm sure he had important cat things to do...

KathyC
10-19-2008, 07:06 PM
It was a perfect day for me!! I woke up at 4 am on Saturday in a panic because I wanted so much to do the drive up to the summit myself but was scared. My sister and I drove to the base by the auto road, I wasn't sure if I would take a van tour up, but I did drive it myself, I had a panic attack half way up, lol. But made it!!!

We walked around and went into the observatory, I went to the help desk and asked if I could leave a bag for Marty. I brought some toys and treats for him and some goodies for the observers too. The man I was speaking to was Mike Planchet (not sure of the spelling) and his wife, I believe her name was Diane.

He asked if I wanted to give the bag to Marty himself, I said no it was OK to leave it. But he insisted and took us down stairs, I am assuming the living quarters. He looked in all of Martys hiding spots and we found him sleeping in his box. I was just beside myself, I got to meet Marty, pet him and take his picture. I also met Jeff who looked like he was trying to catch a few zzzz's. I apologized for the intrusion, but he was very nice and I handed him the bag.

It turned out the Mike is the man who took Nin in, so I got the complete update on Nin first hand. He joked saying that Nin is still thawing out because he loves to lay in the sun all the time. Nin is happy and still has quite the appetite, his wife cooks buffalo for him. He also said they had taken in another stray and are helping him back to health. He asked if I would want him, but I have a cat and could not have more then one. I wished so badly I could taken it. We spoke for quite a while, I told him how much I loved the mountain and the area and what a great job all of you do up there.

Both him and his wife are very warm, good hearted and welcoming people. Please thank him for me for taking the time like that for a perfect stranger. It was also his birthday too. And look out for the Yankee Candle bag with a card addressed to Marty.

I was also lucky enough to buy the last Nin Cup from the gift shop, my trip was complete and perfect. I really hated to drive back to NJ...:(

Charlie
10-26-2008, 08:42 PM
17:44 Sat Oct 25th
Observer's footnote: This Tuesday, October 28th, the observatory will be holding a fund raiser at Flatbread Pizza Company in North Conway, located across the street from the Weather Discovery Center. A portion of the proceeds from every whole or small pizza sold from 5 pm until closing will be donated to the work we do at the observatory. So you get great pizza while supporting your favorite organization. Bring a friend or if you cannot make it, please tell someone who might be able to attend. We look forward to seeing you there.Observer's footnote: This Tuesday, October 28th, the observatory will be holding a fund raiser at Flatbread Pizza Company in North Conway, located across the street from the Weather Discovery Center. A portion of the proceeds from every whole or small pizza sold from 5 pm until closing will be donated to the work we do at the observatory. So you get great pizza while supporting your favorite organization. Bring a friend or if you cannot make it, please tell someone who might be able to attend. We look forward to seeing you there.
Ryan Knapp – Staff Meteorologist

wow i wish i could be there
do they deliver i will take 5 :D

mtruman
10-26-2008, 09:54 PM
It was a perfect day for me!! I woke up at 4 am on Saturday in a panic because I wanted so much to do the drive up to the summit myself but was scared. My sister and I drove to the base by the auto road, I wasn't sure if I would take a van tour up, but I did drive it myself, I had a panic attack half way up, lol. But made it!!!

We walked around and went into the observatory, I went to the help desk and asked if I could leave a bag for Marty. I brought some toys and treats for him and some goodies for the observers too. The man I was speaking to was Mike Planchet (not sure of the spelling) and his wife, I believe her name was Diane.

He asked if I wanted to give the bag to Marty himself, I said no it was OK to leave it. But he insisted and took us down stairs, I am assuming the living quarters. He looked in all of Martys hiding spots and we found him sleeping in his box. I was just beside myself, I got to meet Marty, pet him and take his picture. I also met Jeff who looked like he was trying to catch a few zzzz's. I apologized for the intrusion, but he was very nice and I handed him the bag.

It turned out the Mike is the man who took Nin in, so I got the complete update on Nin first hand. He joked saying that Nin is still thawing out because he loves to lay in the sun all the time. Nin is happy and still has quite the appetite, his wife cooks buffalo for him. He also said they had taken in another stray and are helping him back to health. He asked if I would want him, but I have a cat and could not have more then one. I wished so badly I could taken it. We spoke for quite a while, I told him how much I loved the mountain and the area and what a great job all of you do up there.

Both him and his wife are very warm, good hearted and welcoming people. Please thank him for me for taking the time like that for a perfect stranger. It was also his birthday too. And look out for the Yankee Candle bag with a card addressed to Marty.

I was also lucky enough to buy the last Nin Cup from the gift shop, my trip was complete and perfect. I really hated to drive back to NJ...:(

Glad you had such a great birthday Kathy. Making it to the summit, meeting Marty, what could be better...

I understand your panic attack on the auto road. Did the same thing myself the one time we drove up. Much better hiking up :)

Sad to have to go home for sure, but look at the bright side - the mountain is going to be there for a long time and we've got lots of opportunity to go back!

KD Talbot
10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you had the 'Complete Tour". You don't mention the view from the summit, so I guess you're one of the folks like me, who was too enthralled by the excellent people and the job they do and the place they live to care much that you're on the top of New England. :) Sounds like an excellent trip and that you'll remember this for the rest of your life, maybe the best birthday ever?

KDT

KathyC
10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
It's def. in the top 5...:)

Brad
10-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Tatiana, thanks for the comments today! And it is great to have you visit the summit and see what it is like there.

When is my turn?

TrishandAlex
10-31-2008, 07:18 AM
Kathy, congrats on a great visit! Marty must be very happy with all the new toys.

Rich
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
But Kathy...what about the ride DOWN?

KathyC
11-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Rich...

The drive down was good, I even stopped to take some pictures. I was just so excited about the whole trip up that I did what I really wanted to do that day.

If you look at the comments from 11/1 Marty is wearing the costume that I left in his goodie bag. He looks just as thrilled as my cat does when I put it on her. I just knew he would love it....:D

Also, about those comments. I am half Ukranian and half German, both of my parents coming from those countries. It is a tradition to have mushroom barley soup as part of our Christmas Eve dinner, mmmm Good Stuff!!

Brad
11-19-2008, 05:24 AM
Have a nice shift change - stay warm on the way up/down - and Ed, keep the cameras safe.

spyboy
11-19-2008, 07:20 AM
You'd better not be celebrating Christmas in December for your Ukranian half!

(I'm Ukranian as well)

Kirk

I am half Ukranian and half German, both of my parents coming from those countries. It is a tradition to have mushroom barley soup as part of our Christmas Eve dinner, mmmm Good Stuff!!

hobbes
11-19-2008, 08:32 AM
(I'm Ukranian as well)

Apparently we all have a little Ukranian in us, yours truly included (although more removed) :)

h2oeco
11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
All is well up here, shift change went smoothly... We'll see if conditions cooperate for filming the rime ice. Nice sunset with undercast tonight, not spectacular, but nice.

Ed

Brad
11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Ed, have fun up there!

Steve M
11-20-2008, 12:38 AM
All is well up here, shift change went smoothly... We'll see if conditions cooperate for filming the rime ice. Nice sunset with undercast tonight, not spectacular, but nice.

Ed

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Brad
11-20-2008, 05:57 AM
Looking forward to seeing your pics.
It is nice to have a friend in high places.

h2oeco
11-20-2008, 07:21 AM
It was -7 here this morning, had a nice sunrise, with clouds blowing by in the foreground. Yes, I'm taking pictures. Usually I wait until I get home to upload them, but if I get something good, I'll probably post it.

Ed

Steve M
11-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Your pics will only make me wish I were up there too.

h2oeco
11-21-2008, 07:39 AM
So are you signed up for another week yet? :-) Right now, it is about -6 here, blowing about 30, with a windchill of -34... Another nice day... :-)

Charlie
11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
hay brad do you want to volunteer for a week this summer or how about Corey may want to do it

Brad
11-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I would love to do it, but I have this thing called a job and they do not give me much vacation time. This will have to wait till I retire - again.

KD Talbot
11-21-2008, 05:07 PM
you'll have to learn how to cook! :)

KDT

Steve M
11-21-2008, 07:09 PM
So are you signed up for another week yet? :-) Right now, it is about -6 here, blowing about 30, with a windchill of -34... Another nice day... :-)

I have not received a specific week yet so I guess I am waiting in line.

Steve M
11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
you'll have to learn how to cook! :)

KDT

Brad doesn't need to learn how to cook. Charlie said he would do all the cooking. Brad can do the cleaning.

Brad
11-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I am qualified for the cleaning role.

BlueDog
11-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey Ed! What are the chances of getting a high-res of todays image in the Obs Comments for a desktop? :) Great pic!

Charlie
11-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I would love to do it, but I have this thing called a job and they do not give me much vacation time. This will have to wait till I retire - again.

all you need is your computer and a phone and you can have the office of a life time :D:D

Charlie
11-22-2008, 10:25 AM
the weather channel just had Brian Clark on the phone talking about the wind and how cold it is up there .

h2oeco
11-22-2008, 10:45 AM
That was setup yesterday, and they called in to the summit a little while ago. We sent them some video and pictures yesterday. Did they use any of it?

Ed

Brad
11-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey Ed! What are the chances of getting a high-res of todays image in the Obs Comments for a desktop? :) Great pic!
Are you talking about this image?

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2008/112117-lg.jpg

Charlie
11-22-2008, 09:29 PM
That was setup yesterday, and they called in to the summit a little while ago. We sent them some video and pictures yesterday. Did they use any of it?

Ed

they did show some pictures

Bill O
11-23-2008, 07:00 AM
They are busy firing cheryl lemke and bless their hearts, the entire crew of Forecast Earth.

BlueDog
11-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Are you talking about this image?

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2008/112117-lg.jpg

That's the one. :)

KathyC
11-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Great comments today, the pizza looked Yuummmmyyyy!!!!

Have a safe trip back to Jersey....:)

Charlie
12-06-2008, 10:34 PM
wow todays comments say it will be a little quiet on top .
i hope all is ok with the volunteer and if heard about this sooner i would have hiked up and cooked for you :eek::eek::eek:

and for Brian you all can comment on just about anything and we will all enjoy hearing about what is going on up top ,so keep doing a good job ;)

Brad
12-09-2008, 05:53 AM
There is a special breed of person who lives on the summit of Mt Washington. The Comment yesterday starts off by saying the corrected wind got to 122 MPH with a wind chill of 70 to 80 below zero with a record low temperature. Then the Comment goes on to say the cover to the microwave dish is mostly gone and "we don't know what will happen when the weather turns bad tomorrow and Wednesday". Seems to me that the above stated record breaking conditions were already "bad".

Steve M
12-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Judging by the webcams this morning it looks like a cold, snowy, and foggy day up there. Will they be able to get out and do any repairs?

mtruman
12-09-2008, 09:01 AM
There is a special breed of person who lives on the summit of Mt Washington. The Comment yesterday starts off by saying the corrected wind got to 122 MPH with a wind chill of 70 to 80 below zero with a record low temperature. Then the Comment goes on to say the cover to the microwave dish is mostly gone and "we don't know what will happen when the weather turns bad tomorrow and Wednesday". Seems to me that the above stated record breaking conditions were already "bad".

Just another day in paradise... :)

Rich
12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Judging by the webcams this morning it looks like a cold, snowy, and foggy day up there. Will they be able to get out and do any repairs?

What are you saying? It's not a typical day on the rockpile? Let's go up and help them Steve...you and me. What do you think? Don't forget your windbreaker.

Charlie
12-09-2008, 08:51 PM
What are you saying? It's not a typical day on the rockpile? Let's go up and help them Steve...you and me. What do you think? Don't forget your windbreaker.

can i come and help the more the merry :D:D

Brad
12-10-2008, 06:17 AM
The rime-lapse comments and video were great! Thanks for posting a full explanation and thanks to Ed for giving this a try.

Knapper
12-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the nice words Brad. I am always glad to hear from people who have read my comments. I really need to start writing shorter comments though. That was a 2.5 page single spaced epic. Once I start, its hard to stop sometimes.

Steve M
12-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Sounds good to me. I'm always ready for a winter day on the summit.

Charlie
12-26-2008, 01:48 PM
every one must be busy up top playing with there new gifts that there has bin no comment is 2 days :eek:

Knapper
12-27-2008, 12:21 AM
every one must be busy up top playing with there new gifts that there has bin no comment is 2 days :eek:

To be fair, they only took Thursday off, and being Christmas, I think that is acceptable. Ya just have to be patient and check back from time to time since there is no set time that we have to post a comment (essentially a blog) unlike our daily forecasts for online and the radio. Although we enjoy sharing our lives (most of the time), writing a comment takes time and if there is something more pressing going on, especially when shorter staffed like they are this week, the comment is pretty close to the bottom of the pecking order of things to get done.

mtruman
12-27-2008, 07:24 AM
To be fair, they only took Thursday off, and being Christmas, I think that is acceptable. Ya just have to be patient and check back from time to time since there is no set time that we have to post a comment (essentially a blog) unlike our daily forecasts for online and the radio. Although we enjoy sharing our lives (most of the time), writing a comment takes time and if there is something more pressing going on, especially when shorter staffed like they are this week, the comment is pretty close to the bottom of the pecking order of things to get done.

Taking Christmas off is more than fair as is the lower priority of the comments over the other many important jobs that you all do. We certainly appreciate you sharing your experiences with us in the comments as often as you do!

Steve M
12-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Taking Christmas off is more than fair as is the lower priority of the comments over the other many important jobs that you all do. We certainly appreciate you sharing your experiences with us in the comments as often as you do!

Ditto on that one and for letting the volunteers post their experiences is really cool as well.

Charlie
12-31-2008, 08:05 AM

i know it was just a day and i know you all do a lot up there .when i posted it it thought it was longer and when i seen i was wrong i could not change it
i love reading what is going on up top so keep doing a god job and i will have to be a little patient :D

Brad
01-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Peter Crane's comment today about spaces being available for a winter DayTrip highlights a fantastic opportunity. I have never done it before, but am signed up for a day in February (and am looking forward to it). If you have a chance to do it, go for it.

NadiaLoVerde
01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi all,
Thanks to Mike and Ryan for their weather updates that I have been watching like a hawk! I've also been watching the web cams, since my son, Nick, and his friend Jesse are hiking/hiked to the summit today. Brad, are the observers 'allowed' to post on this forum? I'm trying my best to find out if the 2:15 pm summit web cam shot I saw with a female observer talking to someone out of camera view against the building were Nick and Jessie. That would put them at a bad time to start descending.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Nadia

Bill O
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
The observers occasionally post here, mostly in their free time, but they don't visit enough to make timely responses to questions like this.

Since its already the 7th I assume they made it down safely.

Brad
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi all,
Thanks to Mike and Ryan for their weather updates that I have been watching like a hawk! I've also been watching the web cams, since my son, Nick, and his friend Jesse are hiking/hiked to the summit today. Brad, are the observers 'allowed' to post on this forum? I'm trying my best to find out if the 2:15 pm summit web cam shot I saw with a female observer talking to someone out of camera view against the building were Nick and Jessie. That would put them at a bad time to start descending.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Nadia
Here the Deck image in question.

http://images42.fotki.com/v1371/photos/1/1002902/7080945/20090102_140626_deck-vi.jpg

Yes, some Observors post here as do a few of the N Conway staff members.

Knapper
01-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Yes, we do post here Nadia. Not sure who you talked to. I think you called us and the state park that day as well. None of the observers on that day were female. We had two volunteers who were and a state park employee, diane that is female. Our best guess is it was Diane since she was out at that time and the pic looks a bit like her. No one from the obs side of the building talked to hikers that you describe at that given time. Hopefully by your calling, you got it sorted though.

Cheers

KathyC
01-23-2009, 06:07 PM
The sunrise pictures in Jordan's comments today are just beautiful, I love the foxes too.

CHRIS
01-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I second that the pictures were beautiful. I also love foxes. I ran into one about 15 feet infront of me on my STP08 hike. It was going to the bathroom but hey I still injoyed it.

Trekker
01-26-2009, 03:16 PM
"I have never done it before, but am signed up for a day in February (and am looking forward to it)."

Hey Brad -
WHEN are you signed up for your Edutrip in February? My son and I are scheduled to volunteer the week of February 18-25th!!
I'm told we have one Edutrip scheduled . . .
I'll have cookies ready!!
Trekker -

Brad
01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
My son and I are aiming for Friday Feb 6th. This is not a regular Edutrip. It is a special trip Scot and MWO puts together.

Charlie
01-26-2009, 07:40 PM
My son and I are aiming for Friday Feb 6th. This is not a regular Edutrip. It is a special trip Scot and MWO puts together.

a special trip for a special man :D

Brad
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
a special trip for a special man :D
It is called the cheerleader trip. :)

Charlie
01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
It is called the cheerleader trip. :)

dont forget your pom poms :eek:

KathyC
02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
That's a great picture of Marty in today's comments. Black cats are so tough to get a good photo...

billysinc
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I see Marty did the observer comments today. I wonder how easy it is for him to type with paws his size or does he just sit back and dictate his comments?

Steve M
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Definitely dictation. A cat of his stature does not type. He is the king of the summit!:cool:

Brad
02-27-2009, 04:39 AM
The image of the poor red sled does not enlarge to the bigger image.

It is at

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2009/022620-lg.jpg

Brad
02-27-2009, 04:40 AM
And how many of those red sleds are left? I dropped off 4 I think last year. Probably all wiped out by now.

bclark
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
The image of the poor red sled does not enlarge to the bigger image.

It is at

Hmmm, I tested it after posting last night and it worked ok for me. Seems ok this morning too. Is it still not working for you Brad?

And how many of those red sleds are left? I dropped off 4 I think last year. Probably all wiped out by now.

I thought those had come from you (thanks by the way!)....I think that is indeed the only one left though. We are unusually rough on sleds up here. Heck, maybe we should be testing them for sled companies!

Brad
02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Hmmm, I tested it after posting last night and it worked ok for me. Seems ok this morning too. Is it still not working for you Brad?

It appears to be working now.

KathyC
03-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Reading todays comments was a great way to start my day, Thank you Mike Finnegan.

Brad
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
It has been fun listening to WOKQ broadcasting from the summit this morning. It sounds like they had fun also.

Brad
03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
It looks like WOKQ donated a wonderful TV for the Living Room. A big thanks to them!

Steve M
03-18-2009, 07:47 PM
It looks like WOKQ donated a wonderful TV for the Living Room. A big thanks to them!

Yea, a sweet screen to watch all their Netflix videos on!:D

krummholz
03-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm concerned.... As the picture at the top of today's Observer Comment indicated, Marty was indeed having a bad fur day. The picture at the bottom shows him looking suitably fluffy. But in the top picture he looks almost like he was coated in oil. Can anyone tell me if he recovered his proper fluffiness? (I don't mean that I think someone actually dipped him in oil, by the way!) Anyway, here's to fluffy fur!

Knapper
03-19-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm concerned.... As the picture at the top of today's Observer Comment indicated, Marty was indeed having a bad fur day. The picture at the bottom shows him looking suitably fluffy. But in the top picture he looks almost like he was coated in oil. Can anyone tell me if he recovered his proper fluffiness? (I don't mean that I think someone actually dipped him in oil, by the way!) Anyway, here's to fluffy fur!

The cat did not get wet, oily, dirty etc. The volunteers took a picture of him and the lighting, angle, etc made him look awful. It was one of the oddest pics we have seen of the cat so we thought it would be a good one to post on the thumbnail to draw readers in. Seemed to have worked. No worries, the cat is fine.

krummholz
03-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks, Knapper! Now that I look at Marty's photo again, I wonder if he was just partying a little too hard the night before...;)

Patrad Fischroy
03-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Marty is somewhat of an Irish name at that!!!:rolleyes:

Brad
03-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Well, if Wayne (the snowcat driver) hiked up with the others on Tuesday) who drove the other shift down in what snowcat on Wednesday?

bclark
03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, if Wayne (the snowcat driver) hiked up with the others on Tuesday) who drove the other shift down in what snowcat on Wednesday?

Wayne skied down Wednesday morning so that he could bring up the rest of the upcoming crew, and then subsequently take the downgoing crew off the mountain.

Brad
03-27-2009, 12:59 PM
What a dedicated man!

Brad
03-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I am off to the summit to collect my $5 million dollars!

mtruman
05-27-2009, 07:50 AM
If anyone didn't see the Observer Comment from Sunday (5/24) it was great. Still can't imagine Marty walking all the way down to Lakes. Would give anything to see the expressions on the faces of hikers going up to the summit and getting passed by two people and cat on their way down!

Charlie
05-27-2009, 06:01 PM
you know we voted on a good cat and he is filling his job well
way to go Marty

Brad
05-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Amy, thanks for your comment today and welcome to MWO! We look forward to updates on what you are learning and experiencing - and what you think of a mountain and organization we all love to be associated with.

Bill O
05-30-2009, 09:26 PM
The photo in today's comment is amazing with the undercast. It was a great composition with such depth and range of light.

Bill O
08-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I like the nice short comment today. Great photo too. I've seen the view a thousands times, but it tells a story all by itself. Such mystery in the hazy valleys below.

Charlie
08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
today's comment and picture was cool
i hope next time im up there i can see the new system ,because im a pipe fitter i like looking at stuff like that

Snow Miser
08-22-2009, 02:39 PM
today's comment and picture was cool
i hope next time im up there i can see the new system ,because im a pipe fitter i like looking at stuff like that

I love what the yellow signs say in the photo.:D

Brad
08-26-2009, 05:01 AM
Scott, we appreciate your time on the summit and wish you well. The selection of pictures you posted in your final Comment was excellent.

Bretton Woods Brat
08-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Good luck Scott! Thanks for sharing your time on the mountain with us. :)

Snow Miser
08-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Loved your pictures in the comment Scott. Best of luck to you!

Bill O
08-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Ryan had a great comment today. I forgot they had close to a 160mph gust a few years ago. It's also crazy to think that calm winds on the summit are less common than 100+ mph winds.

Turd Ferguson
08-28-2009, 06:45 PM
You know its calm when the bugs start swarming up there. I can't imgine what it was like on that super calm day Ryan spoke of. They just seem to instantly hatch and attack.

Breeze
08-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Scott and Brian,

It was a hoot and a half to have a couple minutes connecting at the Toll House today. This internet communication is great fun, especially when it comes around to R L.

Wishing you both well in a time of transition. We always enjoy our interaction with the Obs/ MWSP staff, and apppreciate our common denominators.

I'm quite sure Toll House Cookies ( especially the High Altitude recipe) require nuts.

Breeze

Brad
09-25-2009, 09:16 PM
The video of Mike "snowboarding" across the deck today was - I am at a loss for words. . .

Anna LeBlanc
09-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Loved the video of Mike skiing.I wish I could have been along side of him on my skis and then gone into the OBS for a nice hot chocolate:) Maybe he can teach Marty to snowboard too:D

Snow Miser
09-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Maybe he can teach Marty to snowboard too:D

That would be cool to see Marty on a snowboard.:D If they could even get him out there.

Knapper
09-26-2009, 04:27 PM
If they could even get him out there.

Not a problem especially considering he was out with me during the night before that was shot in winds that were even higher. He's not a fraidy cat by any means when it comes to weather. The challenge would be getting a cat snowboard for him.

Snow Miser
09-26-2009, 07:26 PM
The challenge would be getting a cat snowboard for him.

Ryan, I happened to find this photograph, and apparently he already has a snowboard and knows how to use it too. He just never told anyone about it.:D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2513/3956451139_557d3a68f0.jpg