PDA

View Full Version : The Weather Channel blog entry about a Mt. Washington hike

trwxx
09-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a meteorologist at TWC and one of the main participants in The Weather Channel blog which launched a little over a year ago. Recently I posted an entry on the 25th anniversary of a hike that was an important moment in my life, and I thought folks in this forum might be interested ... You can find it here (http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/8_10339.html?from=blog_permalink_mainindex&ref=/blog/weather/).

Stu Ostro

Brad
09-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Stu,

Thanks for your post and links. I will have a chance to read it all in detail this evening. I have hiked Mt Washington is all sorts of weather - though have not done a sumit climb in the winter. One needs to have a great deal of respect for the mountain and the weather it can bring on us. I have been in freezing rain and snow in the beginning of August - conditions where we we went from bright sunny day to where we could barely see our hands in front of our faces - we have used sweat shirts to hold onto sleeves between hiking partners to have the lead person go forward to look for the next cairn and then move to the next one. We have had our breath blow back on our faces and freeze on contact - in mid-summer.

Yes, it is a beautiful mountain and range. But, you do have to be prepared for anything. I was involved with a hiking accident going up Lions Head in the early 1960's. Rocks let go and slid down on the hikers. There was not much we could have done to prevent the event. Dealing with it required us all to be in top shape physically.

Be prepared - is always best.

rockin rex
09-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Stu consider yourself lucky. Look at the wall at the musem (on the summit)
and see how many people who did just what you did, did not make it home. I started a thread about errors made in hiking Mount Washington your story is loaded with them. Treat Mount Washington with Respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad
09-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Twice this summer I climbed Mt Mitchell in NC which is higher than Mt Washington. One of these hikes the weather was "windy", cold and wet. But, seriously it was no big deal. My 6 year old grandson had a great day along with 18 others with us. Hiking in the open on Mt Washington is completely different. This is the thing folks do not seem to understand. The weather can change on Mt Washington in minutes. The wind can pick up to almost blow you away.

A nice day in the valley can be completely different on the ridges and summits. Getting the word out to folks and educating them is critical. Being willing to turn back when it looks bad is also something we all should do.

Bill O
01-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Not sure how I stumbled onto this, but I thought I'd revive this thread.

Thanks for sharing.