PDA

View Full Version : Tallahassee 4

lucinda pyne
08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Steve, Autumn, and Judah (sorry I can't remember Mom's name) who won the prize for furthest distance traveled to STP - My husband Kevin and I really enjoyed meeting you at Horsefeather's Friday night and were so pleased that you all did such a great job on the hike Sat! I have been thinking a lot about you ever since. Hope you had a great New England vacation, and I hope you will be in touch. Lucinda Pyne (from Portland, ME)

Steve M
08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks, it was great meeting you too and the kids say hello. Tracy says sorry for not being there at Horsefeathers. She thought it was only for registering and didn't realize that it would be more social. Next year we hope to do it again. We had lots of fun and enjoyed meeting everyone we could. We chose to hike the Ammo trail this time because of the weather and it being Tracy's first time hiking the mountain but next year she wants to do Tucks which means we will get to hike with and meet more people from the forum.

We had a great vacation, on Wed the kids and I hiked up Tucks, across the Alpine Garden, and down Lions head. The weather was great and the kids got to experience the world above tree line at it's best. Had fun tubing on the Saco, some Trout fishing, and as we left the whites we drove through Maine and the kids went swimming at Wells beach and a Whale watching trip out of Hampton Beach. So yes, we had lots of fun.

Brad
08-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Steve,

Your post highlights that there are so many things to do in the area. Hikers can hike - but there is more that the area has to offer. It sounds like your family took full advantage of the time in the Whites and Maine.

Steve M
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
We do try to take full advantage of our time up there. Most everything we do involves the natural surroundings. The best thing about the Whites is the close proximity to lots of free fun things to do like what I mentioned above as well as finding a pool in a mountain stream and cooling off in it, or sitting around the camp site and enjoying the sights and sounds of nature. Next year we are going to check out some of those lakes over in your neck of the woods. They are so beautiful. Maybe bring our canoe and do some lake fishing.

Brad
08-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Next year we are going to check out some of those lakes over in your neck of the woods. They are so beautiful. Maybe bring our canoe and do some lake fishing.
We are just finishing putting in a parking area at the cabin for about 20 cars. If you come by next year we might not have the parking meters up yet (but I have threatened to order some). There are no RV hookups planned at this point.

About a mile up the lake there is a great campground that has some short term rental spots - Lakeside Pines. http://www.lakesidepinescamping.com/

This is one end of the parking area:

http://images114.fotki.com/v970/photos/8/8235/4971806/IMG_0433-vi.jpg

Steve M
08-08-2007, 08:59 PM
That's really cool. Is this parking area right at the road in front of your cabin? I said to my wife last week when we took 302 into Maine that if I knew how to get to your place I would have popped in for a visit.

Brad
08-08-2007, 09:06 PM
The cabin is on the right side of the gravel road near the end of the rock wall in the picture. The 3.1 acres on the left goes up a slope and is owned by my son. So, he was nice enough to let me carve out an area for parking - as long as it was lined with big rocks to like an extension of our property and there was a split granite set of steps in the wall that he could use later when he builds.

Steve M
08-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Now you have a place for all your guests and no excuse to have a MWO cookout at your place next summer.;) I was going to have one here at my place but I wasn't too sure how many could make it.:)

Brad
08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Plan it for Spring Break and they will come. I do not see any reason to change venues. The Auto Road folks provided a great spot for the tent and dinner. We should just stick with as opposed to trying to fit at my place.

(typed at the Maryland rest area on I-95 heading north!)

Steve M
08-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Your heading back up there? I didn't tell you but do you remember my post last month about the bathroom disaster and having to basically rebuild our tub/shower and almost not going to STP? Well...On day 2 of our trip home, the same day it was over 100 degrees in SC we lost our air in the Jeep. We drove almost 150 miles with the windows down. It was the clutch on the a/c compressor which I stopped at an auto parts store and replaced it in the parking lot. Then...We get a phone call from the person watching our house saying that plumbing under the vanity in the same bathroom burst and water went everywhere, thankfully contained to non-carpet rooms. So now the rest of the bathroom gets an overhaul. Nice eh? anyway, when you said you were heading back up there I thought about all that has happened (even your alternator) and I just have to chuckle!

Brad
08-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I am in my home office in Maine right now. The drive last night was not too bad except for the construction slowdowns. 4 different places we went miles at 0-2 MPH. My son was trying to get to Chicago and was stranded in the Charlotte airport till the plane left at 2AM. So, I had someone to talk to as I was "driving".

I know all about water pipes bursting! Our whole basement apartment in NC was flooded last year - what a mess. Seems like you have had several opportunities to "update" things recently. On my drive north for STP after the alternator and battery were replaced in VA the AC clutch went out in NJ. That added to the cost of the trip. Next year I need to raise more for STP than I spend to get there.

Steve M
08-11-2007, 08:02 AM
I didn't know about the a/c compressor. Sounds like that was an expensive trip. After this our entire bathroom will be completely remodeled which leaves 1/2 the kitchen...The floor is finished and the cabinets are new around the sink due to a flood in the kitchen and old cabinets that were falling apart. Our house was built in 1950 so it was past time for remodeling. As soon as the house is finished we are staring an addition. Never ends does it.

lucinda pyne
08-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear you had such a great vaca here in New England, Steve, especially since it sounds like you've got plenty of challenges facing you back home! We are definitely planning on STP next year - will be getting on the trail much earlier next time! We are heading to Baxter State Park next week to climb Katahdin and do some camping, kayaking, etc. really looking forward to being unplugged. Best of luck with all your remodeling issues.

All the best to Autumn, Judah, and Tracy! Looking forward to catching up next year. Lucinda and Kevin

Steve M
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Glad to hear you had such a great vaca here in New England, Steve, especially since it sounds like you've got plenty of challenges facing you back home! We are definitely planning on STP next year - will be getting on the trail much earlier next time! We are heading to Baxter State Park next week to climb Katahdin and do some camping, kayaking, etc. really looking forward to being unplugged. Best of luck with all your remodeling issues.

All the best to Autumn, Judah, and Tracy! Looking forward to catching up next year. Lucinda and Kevin
Sounds great, would love to do Katahdin with you! The bathroom project is done and looks great. The other projects are still pending. The family is doing great, looking forward to a trip to the smokies in the fall and STP next year. We will most likely hike on the east side next time due to time restrictions. Have fun at Baxter State Park and good hearing from you.

Brad
08-27-2007, 06:49 PM
The bathroom project is done and looks great. The other projects are still pending.It sounded like the bathroom project was a Must Get Done Now project. Our projects lasted all summer and are not quite done yet. The pump house is in, new front yard sod, irrigation system taking water out of the lake instead of the well, edging, plantings all around, stone wall with lamp post and light, extra loop and control zone for the driveway heat system, parking area across the road with rocks, rocks and more rocks for the wall, The fill from the parking area made an access road on our extra lot down towards the lake, pathway lights, garden lighting, and did I say more rocks?

The best deal for me is that "They" did the work. I am sure you had to do the bathroom work yourself. Bathrooms are tough to work on as things are always too tight to fit in.

Oh, the other thing is a multi-story bird house. Yes, it is a functioning birdhouse - but, its real purpose is to house another control unit for the outside lights. This is down by the campfire so we can turn lights on and off without having to go all the way up to the house. The bird house was made by a local fellow - made to be like our log cabin. It is really cool.

http://images28.fotki.com/v997/photos/2/25054/5020649/IMG_489-vi.jpg

Steve M
09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Sounds like you were really busy this summer. I hope you got everything done that you had planned. That is a cool bird house/switch box. Our bathroom looks great now, It was really falling apart but now it's enjoyable. Between work, the bathroom, and other projects I have yet to open the pop-up since the trip. I plan to do that this weekend. Hopefully I can fix the cables so we can open it without needing 3 people and 2 x 4's to prop it up.