PDA

View Full Version : First time climbing Mt. Washington

Madison4
08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Justed joined the forum and really think it's great how everyone shares input. Now i am in need of a little input.

Thinking of taking Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to summit but it seems that Lion's Head/ Tuckerman's is the most popular. Not so sure which to take.

Thanks in advance:)

Mike D
08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Remember what Frost said about the path less traveled by. He even lived in NH, so I believe him. Ammo is a good route, short and steep. You can always take a rest at Lakes of the Clouds hut.

Thanks for participating, hope you enjoy our online community.

Brad
08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I love Lions Head but we are planning on doing Ammo on Saturday. They all are nice.

KD Talbot
08-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't pick one over the other, they are both nice. On the east side people usually use a combination of Tuckerman Ravine and Lion's Head. It can be very crowded, especially on weekends. Tuckerman is 4.2 miles with 4250' of elevation gain. Lion Head is 4.1 mile with the same elevation gain, though you rise above the trees sooner and start to get views. This also means you are above treeline and exposed to the elements sooner. Climbing from the east sudden rain showers can sneak up on you from the west because you don't have a clear view to the west, it is blocked by the summit cone of MW. Regardless of what route you take, be sure to check the higher summit forecast for the day you are climbing:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php

Ammonoosuc Ravine on the west side climbs to the plateau just below Mount Monroe where you will find the Lakes of the Clouds and the AMC Hut of the same name. From here you take the Crawford Path to the summit. From the parking area to the hut is 3.1 miles and 2500' of elevation gain. From the hut to the summit is 1.4 miles and 1300' of elevation for a trip of 4.5 miles and 3800' elevation. A little longer than Tuckerman, but less elevation. Most do a loop of this using the Trinity Heights Connector found at the northwest corner of the Tip-Top House, the Gulfside Trail and the Jewell Trail. This route will bring you back to the same parking lot, though using this way down is longer and requires some climbing up the side of Mount Clay to reach the Jewell Trail. This can be tough on tired legs. This loop can be quite crowded on weekends as well, but probably not as bad as Tuckerman. Also, there is the opportunity to rest at the hut and the benefit of watching the western skies for possible weather changes. One could also do this loop in reverse, taking the longer Jewell Trail to the summit and descending quickly by the steep Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. It is 5.1 miles and 3900' elevation, but the grade is easier than any of the other trails mentioned. Or one could simply go up Ammonoosuc and Crawford and descend the same way.

Good luck and your homework assignment is: a trip report and pictures when you're done!

KDT

Steve M
08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Great detail and info from KD! Another way to look at it would be Tucks has great views, both from the floor of the ravine as well as going up the headwall and on top. Lions heads views are more toward Huntington and across the notch to Wildcat Mtn. When you reach the top of lions head the views are amazing because you can see the bowl of tucks, all the Mtns. to the East, the Alpine garden, the sunmmit cone and even the north side of Huntington Ravine. There is less waterfalls on Tucks but Crystal Cascade is a must see.
If you head up Ammo. trail You are in the woods along a Mtn. stream for a while which is great then you get to Gem pool which is really cool, a waterfall dropping into a clear pool. Above this point the grade is steep and the trail crosses the stream at several places with waterfalls and cascades at various places. The trail takes you over ledges in places which can be tricky when wet. The views begin as you are climbing the steep grade of the trail and the higher you go the trees get shorter and you eventually have a clear view of the entire western side of the Mtn. You can see the cog train cross Jacobs Ladder which is really cool. Lakes of the clouds hut is a nice place to take a break after the steep climb. Also, if you should pack your swimsuit you can relax and cool off in one of the lakes. The hike from Lakes to the summit offers great views, provided it's not in the clouds, of all the Mtns. to the west and the Mt Washington Hotel and Bretton Woods.
Which ever you chose, you will not be disappointed to say the least. As was said above, all the trails are great and offer a different aspect and viewpoint of the mountain.
Have a great hike and don't forget a trip report with photos!:D

Brad
08-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Steve,

"cool off in one of the lakes"! Have you tried to do that? I did as a kid and it was cold cold cold. I did swim from one end to the other of one of the lakes but I do not recall which one. I think it was the first one on the right when heading to the summit. I am not sure if that is even legal today.

Madison4
08-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the help. Hope to accomplish this tomorrow, will do homework

rockin rex
08-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I love the Ammo Ravine Trail. The waterfalls on this trail are amazing!! You also get to pop into Lake of the Clouds for food. Best loop in the Whites is Ammo to Jewell. When doing the Ammo don't forget the side trails to the waterfalls. The side trails to the falls are WELL WORTH IT!!

LFrench
08-10-2007, 10:07 PM
As has been stated, all the trails are good in their own ways. I was part of a family group; two people wanted the challenge of Huntington Ravine, and three of us, well, didn't :) . The two dropped us off at the Ammo trailhead, then drove around to Pinkham. I loved Ammo; I know it's steep but I really don't remember feeling the pain that much. The short detour to Monroe is worth it even if you're not doing 4Ks, too. We met the Huntington guys on top; it turned out they had left their packs in the car and did the climb without food or water! No lasting effects, and we headed down Lion's Head/Tuckerman.

Have a great day!

Steve M
08-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Steve,

"cool off in one of the lakes"! Have you tried to do that? I did as a kid and it was cold cold cold. I did swim from one end to the other of one of the lakes but I do not recall which one. I think it was the first one on the right when heading to the summit. I am not sure if that is even legal today.
Well...Take a look at these photo's and you tell me! I didn't hear anyone telling them to get out of the water.
http://images20.fotki.com/v961/photos/1/1138397/5211642/Picture014-vi.jpg
http://images27.fotki.com/v967/photos/1/1138397/5211642/Picture11-vi.jpg
http://images28.fotki.com/v963/photos/1/1138397/5211642/Picture012-vi.jpg
Oh and here's me taking a break and cooling off my feet.
http://images27.fotki.com/v967/photos/1/1138397/5211642/Picture001-vi.jpg

Charlie
08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
looks nice and cool

Brad
08-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the help. Hope to accomplish this tomorrow, will do homework
We hope you will post a trip report and maybe some pictures too. We may have seen you on the trail but did not know what to look for.

Madison4
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Well what a great hike it was, we took the Ammo up and did the loop via Gulfside / Jewell. The weather was great until 12ish then you were walking in the clouds. So many beutiful views. The side trip to the gorge was great as well, worth the extra steps. Do have a few pics but not to sure how to post, i'll keep trying !!

Brad
08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Madison,

Great to hear your day worked out well. It is a wonderful loop with excellent views. Unless you started very early, you probably passed Jessica and me. We traded leads quite a bit with a Boy Scout group from Exeter, NH as well as a couple of fellows who seemed to be chasing a girl who was pushing them hard.

Madison4
08-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Brad
Not sure if we passed you, we had a few groups go by us and we went by some but i wasn't in any record setting pace. We hit the trail about 8:20, got to mt. washington about 11:30, had some lunch and started back down around 12:30. Being my first hike up this i tried to pace myself.

Brad
08-13-2007, 10:34 PM
So, you went lakes of the Clouds - summit - Lakes of the Clouds - down Ammo? If so, we passed.

Madison4
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
we went up Ammo-lakes-summit then down gulfside to jewell.

Charlie
08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
i say carry a big sign saying who you are :D

maybe every one can come up with some thing like a type of hat ,bandana thats different or some thing that is a little different .then use the same thing and let people on the site know what it is . then when you pass each other on a trail you will know each other .:)

Steve M
08-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Great idea, Charlie!

Brad
08-15-2007, 01:40 AM
How about a MWO forum patch we can sew on the back of our pack?

Steve M
08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
How about a MWO forum patch we can sew on the back of our pack?
That's a good idea also, maybe even hats and/or t-shirts with the proceeds to benefit the MWO.

Brad
08-15-2007, 12:54 PM
I like an idea that would give proceeds to MWO. We could go el cheap-o with yellow plastic ribbons or tape.

Steve M
08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I like an idea that would give proceeds to MWO. We could go el cheap-o with yellow plastic ribbons or tape.
I think people would be less likely to take the time to wear it, though, but that's just my feeling.

Trekker
08-15-2007, 03:49 PM
How about a nice little sew-on patch that you could put on your day pack - or "whatever" pack? A place for you to write in your forum name would help, too . . .

Brad
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
How about a nice little sew-on patch that you could put on your day pack - or "whatever" pack? A place for you to write in your forum name would help, too . . .
I am all for it. I guess I should not change my forum name to "OverTheHillAndDownTheRidgeInTheWhites". It might not fit.

Charlie
08-15-2007, 04:49 PM
and the patch should say

this butt climbed MT Washington

Steve M
08-15-2007, 10:07 PM
and the patch should say

this butt climbed MT Washington
How about a pair lime green shorts with "MWOForums" in red on the back and we could magic marker our forum names on our forehead.:p

The patch is really only good if you come up on a member from behind. If he is coming the opposite direction you most likely will never see it. How about something like a dark green headband with MWOForums embroidered on the front, then no matter what direction you approach someone you will see the headband?

Brad
08-15-2007, 10:11 PM
If the headband is glow in the dark, it would be a big help in low visibility situations. Last Saturday my hiking partner had a red jacket on when things got colder and the visibility went down to a few feet. It was nice to easily see her in red.

DanPBD
09-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I love the Ammo Ravine Trail. The waterfalls on this trail are amazing!! You also get to pop into Lake of the Clouds for food. Best loop in the Whites is Ammo to Jewell. When doing the Ammo don't forget the side trails to the waterfalls. The side trails to the falls are WELL WORTH IT!!

Rockin, can you clarify what you mean by side trails to the waterfalls? Just wondering if I may have missed something when I hiked on 7/22...I don't think I did, but I don't know. Thinking of maybe taking my brother up before Sept. is over...

Brad
09-11-2007, 05:32 AM
After the Gem Pool on the way up - just before you get out on the open rocks, there are small trails off to the right. They take you to waterfalls.

DanPBD
09-11-2007, 11:01 AM
After the Gem Pool on the way up - just before you get out on the open rocks, there are small trails off to the right. They take you to waterfalls.

Aw shoot! I saw a couple go that way on my hike...I thought to myself, gee, I hope they know the trail up is this way! HAHA Thanks...

rockin rex
09-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Now you will have a reason to go back. Be sure to bring a camera. The falls are just above the Gem pool. As you start the steep climb up after the Gem pool just a ways up you will see the trails on the right. It is just a short walk in but WOW!! Be very careful if it is wet. The drop is unforgiving.

Steve M
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Aw shoot! I saw a couple go that way on my hike...I thought to myself, gee, I hope they know the trail up is this way! HAHA Thanks...
What's funny is for STP, with me being sick and Tracy just wanting to keep going and not waste time on side trips, we didn't get over to see any of the waterfalls.

BigE
09-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Madison:

Thanks for posting your question about preparations and routes associated with hiking MW. I like this forum because you find information here that even the guidebooks don't have. I plan to hike to the summit of MW in July 2008 via ammo and crawford, spend the night at Lakes, then return next day via lion's head and tuckermans.

But I have a couple of questions that the forum hasn't answered and I am hoping there are fellow hikers out there who have climbed MW who can answer them for me.

This will be my second hike in the Whites. I have previously hiked to Zealand Ridge and that experience has driven me to go on further. I have also hiked more than half the AT from Central VA to Smarts Mountain in NH. so I not a newbie to hiking, just to above treeline and MW. Here are my questions:

1. How long does it normally take to hike up to the Lakes Hut via Ammo given nice weather?

2. Can someone give me the GPS LAT/LONG numbers for Lakes Hut and the MW summit?

3. Would it be a tremendous risk to NOT carry a sleeping bag on a MW hike if I carried a zero-degree winter Jacket and Pants, rain gear, and emergency shelter? I have room for either, but not both.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Hope to see some of you on MW in July 2008 GW.

73, Big E

Rich
09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey Big E,

It's just over 3 miles to LOC via Ammo. Average is 3 hours up.

Coordinates...

Summit:
N44 16.240
W071 18.220

LOC:
N44 15.518
W071 19.151

You should hike with all of us for Seek the Peak. (seekthepeak.org)

BigE
09-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Rich:

Thanks for the info. I intend to use the lat/long numbers to naviagate the trails on top in case of heavy fog/clouds. I would have loved to sought the peak with the gang, except I don't live in Conway or the immediate area.
I live about 900 miles away, near Columbia, MD. I envy anyone who actually lives in the Whites.

I have scheduled hikes to MW for the past two years only to have to cancel them because of medical problems. I have resched for July next year, hope to run across forum members at that time. I guess it is worthwhile to take the side trips to see th falls along the way up Ammo?

Cant wait!

thanks again, Big E

billysinc
09-12-2007, 07:48 AM
If you're planning on going in July I would nix the 0* stuff. Yes on the rain gear, some fleece, light gloves/mittens/hat just in case. As far as any sort of bivy that's a personal choice. Much of the Ammo trail is in the woods and the distance from treeline to the hut isn't very far.

Bill O
09-12-2007, 08:41 AM
3. Would it be a tremendous risk to NOT carry a sleeping bag on a MW hike if I carried a zero-degree winter Jacket and Pants, rain gear, and emergency shelter? I have room for either, but not both.

If they are truly 0F pants and jacket you probably don't need that for July. The coldest it has been up there is 24F in July, probably safe to say its not going to zero.

My personal opinion is that a sleeping bag and shelter would be overkill for July. Others will disagree. Some will verbally disagree on this forum but in the field they won't carry this stuff.

If you start thinking about all the risks on the mountain you'll never leave the trailhead.

BigE
09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Billysinc and BillO:

Thank you very much for your valuable input. I worried about carrying that sleeping bag cause of the bulk of it, I'd rather carry layers and an emergency
shelter or a bivy only in case the wx causes an overnight in the open. I've been watching the daily temp readings from the observatory and plan accordingly as far as temp protection is concerned.

Glad to hear that LOC is rather close to the beginning of tree line. All the information I have received here on the forum has boosted my confidence. Of course there is always that element of drastic change on any hike, but I don't want to completely removed the risk factor, wouldn't be much fun, would it?

Thanks Guys

See you on top, Big E

BigE
09-12-2007, 02:27 PM
BillO or Billsinc:

It may seem odd that I am posting a reply to my own post, but I have one more planning question that I have been unable to get an answe to:

I notice that all the MW hiking guides and advice from other sources, tell you to carry your own water or take theususal precautions if you use any natural sources.

I wonder however, if there is good water available to hikers at the huts? I mean for the folks like me who have reservations at the hut, does that fee include a refill on my water? I carry two 20 ounce bottles.

Thanks again, I should have more questions as July approaches.

The Big E

billysinc
09-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Water at the huts is free and plentiful

KD Talbot
09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
STP 2008 is on July 26th next year. You should really consider arranging your trip to coincide with this event. People come from as far away as Florida and Colorado, very few of us live in the Whites. Maybe you could catch a ride up with Brad when he comes up from North Carolina.

Ditch the sleeping bag and the 0 degree gear. Have some warm layers and good wind/rainproof gear.

When you get to Lakes of the Clouds, turn around and chuck your GPS (and cell phone, too, if you've got that with you) back down into Ammonoosuc Ravine, then follow the cairns to the summit. It's worked for hundreds of years.:) The only high tech gadget you need on MW is your camera.

KDT

Steve M
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
STP 2008 is on July 26th next year. You should really consider arranging your trip to coincide with this event. People come from as far away as Florida and Colorado, very few of us live in the Whites. Maybe you could catch a ride up with Brad when he comes up from North Carolina.

Ditch the sleeping bag and the 0 degree gear. Have some warm layers and good wind/rainproof gear.

When you get to Lakes of the Clouds, turn around and chuck your GPS (and cell phone, too, if you've got that with you) back down into Ammonoosuc Ravine, then follow the cairns to the summit. It's worked for hundreds of years.:) The only high tech gadget you need on MW is your camera.

KDT
Very well said. Only put the GPS and phone back in your pocket, no into the ravine.:eek:

BigE
09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
WSR88D:
Thanks for the information, I will be happy to ditch the sleeping bag and the gps, every ounce counts. What is the essense of the SSTP 2008 event? I hope its not a race to the summit! I will keep the 26th in mind when I do my final planning and make reservations for my trip.

I don't drive to NH. Too far, I fly SW to Manchester then rent a car and drive up to Pinkham. I still havent gotten an answer about water availability at the huts.

I feel much more comfortable and confident with the information I have gotten here in the past few days. I am a planner! I will spend the whole winter planning this hike and love evey minute of it.

I really envy hikers who live up in the Whites.

Thanks again,Big E

Rich
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Water at the huts is free and plentiful

Billysinc mentioned water is not a problem.

Steve M
09-13-2007, 10:15 PM
WSR88D:
Thanks for the information, I will be happy to ditch the sleeping bag and the gps, every ounce counts. What is the essense of the SSTP 2008 event? I hope its not a race to the summit! I will keep the 26th in mind when I do my final planning and make reservations for my trip.

I don't drive to NH. Too far, I fly SW to Manchester then rent a car and drive up to Pinkham. I still havent gotten an answer about water availability at the huts.

I feel much more comfortable and confident with the information I have gotten here in the past few days. I am a planner! I will spend the whole winter planning this hike and love evey minute of it.

I really envy hikers who live up in the Whites.

Thanks again,Big E
Seek-the-Peak is not a race, it's the Mount Washington Observatories' major fund raiser of the year. You sign up, raise money from family and friends, then come and enjoy the day hiking to the summit and back. Their is a before and after party for those who participate.

BigE
09-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Billysinc mentioned water is not a problem.

Thanks Rich and Billysinc. I noticed your comment after I posted my reply. I suppose water may not be an issue above TL that time of year? I just like to know as much as possible about where I hike. Thanks for your help.

Big E:rolleyes:

Brad
09-13-2007, 10:30 PM
And driving to NH is not a problem. I work in Raleigh, NC and drive back and forth all the time to Maine. This summer it has been every other weekend. My next drive up will be the week before Columbus Day. Will be up there for the long weekend. We are lining up folks to waterski that weekend - might try to get a short hike in if the weather is good for pictures.

Ric Craig
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Are there better trails this late in the season? I've done Tuckerman only but in all weather including snow.