PDA

View Full Version : East Royce Mountain 8/18-19/07

KD Talbot
08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Saturday was our anniversary and to celebrate we spent Saturday night on a mountaintop. Temps dipped into the thirties but the wind died down so we were quite comfortable in our little tent. The morning brought a glorious sunrise, so any discomfort we may have experienced over night was soon forgotten. I really wish I could spend every night on a mountaintop. Full report and pictures here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns3000/eastroyce8181907/eastroyce8181907.html

KD Talbot

FisherCat
08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Nice shots! Someone's ankle is doing better. Night on top is awesome. great sunrise too, those temps combined with dry air can have spectacular results!

Brad
08-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Kevin, a nice set of pictures. What a treat to be there for sunset and sunrise.

Steve M
08-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Kevin, Judy, and Emma,

How great is that, hiking on your anniversary. You guys are as hard core as I wish I could be.:) Thanks for sharing your trips, I always enjoy the detail you put in your reports and all those great pics.

KD Talbot
08-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks Brad! That photo you posted from the lake yesterday morning was the same sunrise I was watching from East Royce. I wish I had got out to shoot a little earlier, that pink sky was awesome! What a morning! Thank you, too Steve, sharing is why I shoot. I'm glad I have found an audience where people who can't be there appreciate what I'm doing. It makes it worthwhile!

KDT

Patrad Fischroy
08-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Great pics and report as always. A SWAG on your unknown item is that it is a remote solar powered transmitter. I would guess that there is an instrument package in the area with a data-logger. I am no longer familiar with the research going on in that area, but someone at the observatory might have a clue.

JimS
08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Wow,

Nice overnight and great shots! Evans notch is truly a spectacular and fortunately underutilized area!

The sunrise shots over the carters are some of my favorite landscape shots I've seen in a while. How were the cranberries...probably not quite ripe yet I'd imagine.

Things are FINALLY settling down for me, I'll have to shoot you an email to get out and shoot down here soon...

Patrad Fischroy
08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Wow,

Nice overnight and great shots! Evans notch is truly a spectacular and fortunately underutilized area!

The sunrise shots over the carters are some of my favorite landscape shots I've seen in a while. How were the cranberries...probably not quite ripe yet I'd imagine.

Things are FINALLY settling down for me, I'll have to shoot you an email to get out and shoot down here soon...

Hey, Hey, Hey, this is a world of dynamic geography. That should read the area formerly known as Evans notch, now KEVINS notch

Brad
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Hey, Hey, Hey, this is a world of dynamic geography. That should read the area formerly known as Evans notch, now KEVINS notch
I knew that Kevin was one notch ahead of his time. :cool:

JimS
08-21-2007, 02:07 PM

I'll adopt that policy whence we all accept Mount Reagan...
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2003/HB0082.html

KD Talbot
08-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Yeah, Ken Weyler is from Kingston. I went to vote a few years ago and there he was, "Hi, I'm Ken Weyler." I said, " Yeah. I know. You're the state rep in charge of renaming everything "Reagan". Nice work, if you can get it."

No really. It is Kevin's Notch. Ken Weyler renamed it for me to get my vote.

KDT

Tim&Val
08-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Kevin, your trip reports are great! Both the pictures and the accounts themselves.

We haven't ventured into KEVIN'S NOTCH yet, but it looks like we'll need to try it soon!

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Valerie

Trekker
08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
KD -
The "Alpenglow on the Carter Range" is an awesome shot!!
You obviously got some great views from your short hike. Where IS Royce Mt., anyway?
I might have to check this place out . . .
Steve

Brad
08-21-2007, 07:01 PM
KD -
The "Alpenglow on the Carter Range" is an awesome shot!!
You obviously got some great views from your short hike. Where IS Royce Mt., anyway?
I might have to check this place out . . .
Steve
Hmmm, lets see. Head over to Fryeburg, Maine. Head north to Stowe - Maine that is. Just as the road makes a sharp right turn in Stowe (you are on route 113 at this point) there is a general store on the left. Remember that spot as they have the most awesome ice cream cones when you are heading out towards home. Plus, their bakery items are amazing. If you miss that store, then you missed all of Stowe.

Head north on 113 and cross into NH - back into Maine - then NH - then, you get the idea as you are going right up the state line. When you pass the point where they don't plow any more in the winter you rise - pass a viewing area on the right - and get into the notch itself. There is a parking area on the left in the woods and the trail to the Royces heads out to the west from there. That would be an awesome hike when the leaves are in full color!

Steve M
08-21-2007, 08:07 PM
WOW Brad, nice job! Looks like you get out and about from time to time.

Brad
08-21-2007, 08:37 PM
WOW Brad, nice job! Looks like you get out and about from time to time.
Moi?

I love East Royce. Many years ago I lead a group up there at the end of the summer. I made up packs for several of the men and we took off. My pack was a bit heavier than the rest. After we turned at the col and headed to the summit I said I was going ahead to find a good spot for lunch that had the best view.

When they all got to where I had set up lunch they found a white tablecloth spread out on the rocks - linen napkins - silverware - lighted candles in a set of brass candelabra - all the fixings for a nice lunch! The other packs had the food which was good too.

Lots of fun and a great view!

KD Talbot
08-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah, Brad's right on. Of course, his house in Maine is not far from there. The store he mentions is also the last place you can get ANYTHING up there, so, if you need something to hike or camp, you better stop there, or plan on a long trip back. I want to say before I go on that I am not sure if the way in from the north is open yet. The bridge washed out, and I am not sure if it is repaired yet. If anyone knows, please elaborate. Rte 113 runs along the Maine/New Hampshire border, as Brad pointed out. approaching from the south there are two WMNF campgrounds:

Cold River: http://www.campsnh.com/coldRiver.htm

and The Basin which we like very much:

http://www.campsnh.com/basin.htm

At the north end, near Rte. 2 are two more:

http://www.campsnh.com/hastings.htm

And though we have never camped here but are very much looking forward to trying:

http://www.campsnh.com/wildriver.htm

Wild River is 5 miles off of Rte. 113 in the Wild River Valley in what is called Hasting Plantation. We drove out there to check out the campground on our last trip. The road follows the Wild River to the campground which has only about 3 spaces that could possibly hold a pop-up or RV type vehicle. The rest are tent sites. The area is beautiful and wild. There are numerous trails that follow the river and climb the surrounding peaks including the Carter/ Moriahs. The Royces can be reached from here, though we climbed from the parking area on Rte. 113 at the top of Kevin's Notch.

The traiheads from Rte. 113 do not lead to any 4000 footers unless you plan on a very long hike to reach the Carter/ Moriahs, but there are several excellent hikes I would recommend:

East Royce or an East/West Royce- There are several trails to choose from. The East Royce Trail is 1700' in 1.3 miles, so rivals some very tough climbs in the Whites, though it is short. Don't forget to hike through the woods another 3/10ths of a mile to the north ledges where there are great views of the Wild River Valley and the Carter/Moriah Range. Including a trip to west Royce will not provide great views, though there are some to be had, but it does have an area where there was an old fire tower on the summit. It's a nice hike between summits and worth the trip.

Caribou Mountain-

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns3000/caribou52706/caribou52706.html

a nice loop over Caribou Mountain can be made by using the Caribou Trail and the Mud Brook Trail. This is a pretty moderate hike and there are great open ledges on the summit with good views in all directions. The loop is about 6.6 miles. If you start on Caribou trail it is 1450' elevation gain and 1900' if you climb the Mud Brook Trail.

Bald Face Loop-

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns3000/baldfacecircle6506/baldfacecircle6506.html

this is probably the most challenging hike in the notch. The Baldface Circle Trail, when followed clockwise, is 9.8 miles and 3600' elevation gain. South Baldface has many open ledges below the summit with excellent views. The climb between summits is very nice and as you descend North Baldface you are on open ledges again. We loved this hike.

For easier hikes there are:

Blueberry Mountain and Deer Hills. Don't forget if you climb Blueberry Mountain to visit the Rattlesnake Pool off of the Stone House Trail. It doesn't sound too inviting, but it is one of the nicest pools you will find to swim in the White Mountains. Expect icy water!

As Steve suggests it is beautiful in Autumn. Just the drive through the notch in itself is beautiful. The trees overhang the road.

This is the place to be!

KDT

Brad
08-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Kevin,

Great information about the area. Several years ago we did the Bald Face loop - counter clockwise. The views were wonderful - but it was a long hike. We have been talking about getting up there Columbus day weekend. But plans are not set yet.

Patrad Fischroy
08-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I'll adopt that policy whence we all accept Mount Reagan...
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2003/HB0082.html
Touche... I most humbly withdraw my previous statement.