PDA

View Full Version : Pinkham Notch to the Highland Center.

MLake
08-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi,
I am a new member and would like the advise of some more experienced hikers. I am a frequent hiker of the 4000 footers, with one summit of Washington. I am planning a trip from the Pinkham notch visitors center, up Tuckermans Ravine to Washington, and then down via the Crawford path to the Highland Center. I am going with 3 other people, all in decent physical shape and we have proper equipment and gear. I have been told that this is too big of a trip to do in one day, but I have read trip reports that tell me otherwise. Has anyone done this trip? Is it do-able? How much extra time would it take to add Mt. Jackson into the trip? Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Bill O
08-21-2007, 11:03 AM
I did this when I was about 12. I think we did the reverse though and we might have skipped Mount Washington.

You can easily do this trip if you are in good shape and can keep a quick pace. No need to skip Mount Washington either, unless the weather looks bad. You could probably add Jackson if you have enough time. No reason to make that decision until you need to.

Do you have a White Mountain Guide? You need one. You can easily plan out this trip with their trail descriptions and maps. And use they hiking times as a rough guide. To make this traverse I think you need to be beating book times, something that is easy to do if you hike frequently.

MLake
08-21-2007, 11:05 AM
I do own the 27th edition AMC guide and have read about the trail we are about to attempt.

Bill O
08-21-2007, 11:09 AM
You should be set then.

When we did the hike we went fairly light. Obviously putting us at more risk, but allowing us to move much faster.

If you need to bail out for weather make sure you go to the west. That will take you toward US-302. If you go east you'll end up deep in the wilderness.

rockin rex
08-21-2007, 03:08 PM
With a nice early start this is a very comfortable hike for someone with your ability. You can go light on the food because you have two huts where you can get food if you you need it. The huts usally have fruit for sale and most of the times awesome soup. Your only really steep part will be from the floor of Tucks upto the top. Your end of trip will be a nice gradual decent from Mizpah to Highlands. Make sure to go prepared with the clothes. Good thing is if things turn real nasty with the weather you have two huts you can drop into. Enjoy your trip and let us know how you make out.