PDA

View Full Version : Unusual foods!

Steve M
08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
After reading the Threads:
White Mountain Hikes/East Royce Mtn. 8/18-19/07 and
General Discussion/Question on Trail food

I found it interesting to see some of the food which is brought on hikes that goes beyond what is customary for hiking or backpacking. What are some of the out of the ordinary foods you have packed in for a special or memorable day in the woods?

As a boy scout I remember packing a yellow onion which I ate like an apple to shock my friends. Trust me, Don't try it unless you have a cast iron stomach.:(
Another time I hiked in a can of sterno and a can of baked beans and heated them up in the can.

Brad
08-22-2007, 05:57 AM
One year I was Trip counselor at a girls camp in Maine. On a Saco River canoe trip there was a boys camp group camped at the other end of the beach at Walkers Falls. As we were finishing up dinner I asked if the girls wanted to invite the boys over for desert. "Sure, but what do we have for desert?"

I pull out all the fixings for brownies - and a reflector oven. The girls sure impressed the guys that evening!

Rich
08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
A can a Dinty Moore......frozen! It never thawed!!! :mad:

Steve M
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
A can a Dinty Moore......frozen! It never thawed!!! :mad:
Thats not good...LOL

Mike D
08-22-2007, 10:13 AM
A large sausage, a block of cheese, and a can of corned beef hash.

Brad
08-22-2007, 11:50 AM
A large sausage, a block of cheese, and a can of corned beef hash.
Now that actually sounds good right now. I am sitting in a hotel wondering what I can find for lunch.

FisherCat
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Two steaks, fresh mushrooms, and a Thermos of hot Jello mix for an late winter overnighter at RMC's Log Cabin. Oh, plus one cast iron skillet. Cooked pretty rare.

Steve M
08-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Two steaks, fresh mushrooms, and a Thermos of hot Jello mix for an late winter overnighter at RMC's Log Cabin. Oh, plus one cast iron skillet. Cooked pretty rare.
Very nice!