PDA

View Full Version : Stp 2008

CHRIS
08-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Does anybody know when they will start taking registrations for the STP 2008I plan on making that my first hike up MW. I have already lined up some people who are going to pledge some $$$ :D.

Chris.

Steve M
08-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Does anybody know when they will start taking registrations for the STP 2008I plan on making that my first hike up MW. I have already lined up some people who are going to pledge some $$$ :D.

Chris.
It is usually a few months before the event but I'm not sure of the exact date.

Charlie
08-24-2007, 06:25 PM
it would be nice to have something at least 6 months before so we have some time to get more $$$$$$$

Brad
08-24-2007, 08:32 PM
it would be nice to have something at least 6 months before so we have some time to get more $$$$$$$
I agree. 6 months would be great.

Steve M
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
I agree. 6 months would be great.
Same here, that would be great.

Tim&Val
08-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi Chris,

Hiking for Seek-the-Peak on your first trip up MW is a great idea! The support between the Seek-the-Peak'ers is fantastic, and there are so many of us out on the trails that day! And of course, we think it's a very worthwhile cause. We look forward to meeting you (if we don't run into you on another trail before then!!)

T&V

CHRIS
08-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Tim & Val, I look forward to meeting up with you oneday. I went and got the book you recommended Not Without Peril and it is a very interesting book I am about half done with it. I have to admit after reading some of the stories alot of people took risk way back then. I am going out today and start buying some of the hiking gear I need. I have already lined up a few people to pledge me and my sister works for a large co. and she is going to bring the pledge sheet to work to try to get some pledges. I run a welding supply store and I plan on making a counter display to get some $$$. Hey whatever it takes.Have a nice weekend.

chris

BlueDog
08-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Just to add another vote of confidence... StP 07 was my first climb up MW. In fact it was my first hike to a summit ever! Now I can't wait to go back and start hitting more of the trails. It was truly a well run event and the people are just amazing.

Charlie
08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
thats good that you got the MT bug . i hiked it 27 years or so a go and never lost the bug .i have not done the hike again but will be there for STP 08 and do it then .

CHRIS
08-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence.I have started buying some gear I need and just can't wait to get it all but some of it is expensive so I am buying a couple things at a time.My wife wants me to wait because the kids can buy me stuff for christmas but I would like to start heading up to NH and try to get some trails in this year to get a little better in shape for MW. I cannot wait till next July it is like waiting for christmas. I have alway wanted to hike up MW. I have been going to the summit cams every morning at my desk for the past 10-12 years (and dreaming).I have always told my wife when I finnaly kick the bucket to spread my ashes on the summit. I am alittle obsessed with that mountain. Sorry here I go again blabing on. Have a nice night everybody

Chris

Brad
08-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence.I have started buying some gear I need and just can't wait to get it all but some of it is expensive so I am buying a couple things at a time.My wife wants me to wait because the kids can buy me stuff for christmas but I would like to start heading up to NH and try to get some trails in this year to get a little better in shape for MW. I cannot wait till next July it is like waiting for christmas. I have alway wanted to hike up MW. I have been going to the summit cams every morning at my desk for the past 10-12 years (and dreaming).I have always told my wife when I finnaly kick the bucket to spread my ashes on the summit. I am alittle obsessed with that mountain. Sorry here I go again blabing on. Have a nice night everybody

Chris
Chris, we do understand. Many of us have a strong emotional attachment to MW.

Charlie
08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
yes we do, i check the cams every day and now I'm hooked on brads cams to

CHRIS
08-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys.

bosco41
08-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Chris I left my Grandmothers ashs up there this year. She loved life and was always proud of my accomplishments. When I told her two years ago I was climbing the mountain she told me she always wanted to do that I told her someday she would. Last year she was diagnosed with congestive heart. She told me as her health care proxy that she wanted to be cremated. I asked her what I should do with her ashes. She told me to take him with me on the mountain this way every time I climbed I could think about her and she would be part of a beautiful part of nature that everyone enjoys. In my well I recently requested the same for myself. Hopefully the national park doesn't consider this littering. I think being up there there's nowhere else on earth you can feel closer to our maker. Just my two cents Chris

KD Talbot
08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Thats a beautiful thing. I've mentioned this before, but I knew someone who was in a Militia re-enactment group. They shot his ashes off the summit in an 1800's mortar!

KDT

FisherCat
08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
My wife knows where my ashes are going too, an undisclosed location in the Whites of course.
That mortar is a great idea. if anyone is interested I spent time with a F & I War re-enactment, I have a nice custom built .62 smoothbore longrifle. I could jam quite a bit of someone's ashes. Not all, but probably a few appendages and all.

Steve M
09-01-2007, 09:24 AM
I think when I get really old I will just drive up the auto road and make my way to the edge of Huntington Ravine and throw myself in.:D If I don't make it to old age than maybe my ashes could be sprinkled on the mtn. NOT on a real windy day though or I may end up as far as the Atlantic ocean.:eek:

CHRIS
09-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Sorry I haven't posted I was camping on the Cape with my family. That was a beautiful story about your grandmother Bosco41. My wife knows I love that mountain so she will put me there when its my turn.My son says if my wife goes before me he knows where to put me. I have to agree I think that is as close as you can get to our maker. Every time I go up there all I can think of is the Led Zepplin song "Stairway To Heaven".Have a good night everybody.

chris

Donotgogentle
09-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey kids, i thought i'd drop in to say hello. Chris to re-re-reinforce what the guys are saying the trip is well worth it and very rewarding. This was my first stp and my first ckimb up mt wash. I, like you, set it a s goal and worked my ass off to get ready. The hike was amazing, the people were awesome and from what I hear (I don't Drink) so was the beer. I will be there next year and I will be bringing friends, i've been recruiting since i got home.

Steve M
09-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Sounds like next year is going to be a blast. Can't wait!

Bill O
12-24-2007, 01:32 PM
STP 2008 is now open. Looks like there are some changes as well. I like the setup.

Brad
12-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Suggestion - provide links back to www.mountwashington.org off the STP site. Once you get over there it would be nice to have an easy way og getting back.

Brad
12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I created my page 7 months earlier this year (yes, I was a last minute guy for STP 2007) and some contributions have come in. So, I have already raised more this year than last. :o Lets hope we break the record fund raising amount again this year. It would be nice to top $100,000. Can we do it?

Steve M
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Can I raise money for the event yet not be actually hiking it since I will already be on the summit?

Charlie
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Can I raise money for the event yet not be actually hiking it since I will already be on the summit?

no you have to change it to "seek the valley ":D :D

I'm sure you can they will take any $$ they can

Brad
12-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Yes, you can. Have the folks go to http://www.seekthepeak.org/view.php?p=Brad to make donations.

Steve M
12-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Yes, you can. Have the folks go to http://www.seekthepeak.org/view.php?p=Brad to make donations.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Brad
01-25-2008, 05:52 AM
I just read the prize levels on the left side of the STP page. I "need" to get to $1,000 for that jacket.

Raise $1,000+ and you'll receive a limited edition Seek the Peak L.L.Bean fleece jacket!

The flyer that came in the mail the other day said the overall target for STP08 is $70,000. Can we get a total raised figure added to the page with all the hikers listed?

Steve M
01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
That would be great to see the progress of funds coming in. I think it would help get the MWO to their goal.