PDA

View Full Version : any advice?

jeff87
09-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Hello everyone my names jeff and this is my first post. My dad and I are planning on going to Mt. washington next weekend(Oct. 6-9). We have hiked it about 5 times. We've taken the Amanoosic and the jewel a few times each. I was just worried about weather this time of the month and which trails to take. I was looking at Boott spurr and Lions head. We will hike up and take the cog down. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Jeff

Brad
09-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Hello everyone my names jeff and this is my first post. My dad and I are planning on going to Mt. washington next weekend(Oct. 6-9). We have hiked it about 5 times. We've taken the Amanoosic and the jewel a few times each. I was just worried about weather this time of the month and which trails to take. I was looking at Boott spurr and Lions head. We will hike up and take the cog down. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Jeff
1. Watch the weather right up until you head up the mountain. You could get an absolutely wonderful fall day. Or it could close in tight and be terrible. Be careful.

2. Remember that Boot Spurr and Lions Head are on the other side of the mountain from the base station for the cog railroad. You will either need 2 cars or a driver.

3. Get an early start as the days are getting shorter and just in case.

jeff87
09-29-2006, 11:46 PM
ok thanks..but why would I need 2 cars or a driver?

Brad
09-30-2006, 06:09 AM
ok thanks..but why would I need 2 cars or a driver?
Both Boot Spurr and Lions Head trails go from Pinkham on the east side of the mountain. You said you would hike up and take the cog down. Going down the cog will put you at Marshfield base station on the west side of the mountain. You will need to have left a second car at the cog to be able to drive around after getting down to get the first car at Pinkham. Or, you can have a driver drop you at Pinkham and drive to the Cog base station to meet you later in the day. Either way, you will be doing a traverse.

Here is the trail highlighted to the summit - then hiking down (software can not continue on the Cog tracks). The driver will have to either go north to route 2 or south on route 16, west on route 302, then in to Marshfield.

http://images16.fotki.com/v351/photos/8/8235/242566/MWOtrail01-vi.jpg

jeff87
09-30-2006, 11:54 PM
oh ok thanks. I never really thought about that lol. would you recommend any other trails on the side of the cog?

Brad
10-01-2006, 08:00 AM
oh ok thanks. I never really thought about that lol. would you recommend any other trails on the side of the cog?
From the Cog's base station the Amonoosic Ravine trail in well protected up to the Lakes of the Clouds hut. Then you are on the open ridge to the summit. Swing to the NW after the sumit on the Gulfside Trail and then down the Jewell to the base station again. There is a lot of open exposed ridge - so, be careful with the weather.

Pictures from that route from last summer are at http://public.fotki.com/bradbradstreet/hikes/2006_hikes/07_mtwashdakota/

jeff87
10-01-2006, 12:37 PM
thanks alot brad!! I think we'll take the Amanoosic up and the cog down. Nice pics!!!

jeff87
10-02-2006, 07:08 PM
What about as far as clothing and footwear. Ill be dressing with multiple layers just incase. And do you think just hiking boots will be fine?

Brad
10-02-2006, 07:30 PM
What about as far as clothing and footwear. Ill be dressing with multiple layers just incase. And do you think just hiking boots will be fine?
Being out there all day in "just hiking boots" will be extremely cold. Plus, you will most likely get arrested for a different type of exposure.

Layers always are good. The wind chill has been hanging around the mid teens during the day. When you start hiking you will not need much - then have the ability to add layers - ending with a waterproof, weather tight outer shell. Protect your head from cold and your hands. They are critical to staying warm and comfortable. And have extra pairs of dry socks.

Others will have to comment on traction conditions at the summit. For most of the way hiking boots should be fine. The rocks up top will probably be very slippery.

jeff87
10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
haha ok. Well, we usually just hike up, walk around the summit for like an hour or so, then take the train down.

Brad
10-03-2006, 05:58 PM
haha ok. Well, we usually just hike up, walk around the summit for like an hour or so, then take the train down.
I would highly recommend having more on than just hiking boots for the ride down on the train.

jeff87
10-04-2006, 11:34 AM
you really like making jokes dont you:p

nevis_highwire
10-05-2006, 08:02 PM

What are you going to do if the train isn't running? Too much rime, frozen switch, conductor strike, brake failure, coal shortage. Any number of reasons could and have stopped the cog from running. You should be prepared to hike down if the cog isn't running.