PDA

View Full Version : Hi

MetalQueen
08-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone, just found this forum.

Way cool.

Been going to NH every Fall for about 12 years (really just to hike) and strangely enough, last year was the first time I bagged the big 'un.

Going again last week of Sept.

So when I did the "big 'un" last year I had a small problem. Fitness-wise it wasn't a problem (I am an endurance athlete), however, I wasn't dressed properly. Warmth wasn't the issue until I found myself soaking wet. When I got to the top, we were in the middle of a huge cloud, it was about 35 degrees and winds were at 65 mph (which I know for MW, isn't all that bad). Since it was our first, of course we did Tuckerman's. Haven't done the research yet, but thinking of going via Davis this year.

I have a waterproof jacket but didn't need it til we started getting "up there". I am not sure what to wear as pants (I am sure I just had on gym-type pants) or what to wear as my base layers underneath (upper). I probably have a good long-sleeve wicking cycling jersey I can use as layer number 2 but what to use for layer number one? Also don't want to spend a fortune gearing up.

Unfortunately we had to take the van down bcz I was just too wet. I have a compromised immune system and didn't want to take a risk of catching and holding on to that chill and getting sick (so...technically not bagged, downhill is an art, too), but the important part is getting up it, right, I wasn't displeased, just not properly geared up.

Any suggestions and in the future if I can contribute, (12 years hiking up there and almost never doing the same hike twice only the ones I particularly love) I will. Right now I am in the middle of training for races, working full time and teaching Spin classes but would be glad to contribute.

Thanks, all

Deb

KD Talbot
08-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the forum and better luck on MW this year! Davis is a loooong way to the top. Check around this forum, there is all kinds of advice on trails, trailfood and clothing. The thing to do is to get the wet gear on before you need it. It's hard to judge sometimes, believe me, we've all been caught in that predicament. Thing is, on MW it can be deadly.

I'd suggest Boott Spur from the east side, then down Tuckerman Ravine or Lion Head Trails. From the west the best bet is an Ammo- Jewell Loop. Most people go up Ammonoosuc and make their decision to go to the summit or not from Lakes of the Clouds Hut. If the weather is good, you go down the Jewell, if not, back down the Ammo, as it gets you back below treeline quicker, though the steep sections can be hairy on the descent if things are wet or it's raining. Anyway, good luck and we expect a trip report and pictures! Also, chime in on anything being discussed. We need active members here. A lot of lurkers, not to many participants.

KDT

Brad
08-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Deb,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for some background on your experiences. Not having the right gear for the weather at hand is a major problem with hiking MW. Your story helps to explain why and I am glad that you ended up safe in the end. Staying dry is critical when above tree line any time of the year. At the end of September the weather can turn nasty very quickly.

The outer layer is critical to keep you dry - to break the wind - and not be too bulky or heavy. This is the same words for top and bottoms. Keeping the other layers dry is critical. If it turns out to be good weather this weatherproof layer stays in the pack. But, keep it handy as the weather can turn quickly.

The other layers depend on how cold it gets. The inner, light weight layer works well if it is "cool" and also if it is very cold. I use my inner layer when going into Tucks in the winter when it is -35F wind chill with no problem. The key is to have an additional layer or two if needed. For me those layers are loose fleece. Having too many layers with you is always a good idea.

Taking off a layer is easier than putting on an extra layer you do not have with you.

Steve M
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I too welcome you to the forums, nice to have another voice here. I'm sure we all will enjoy your experiences, trip reports, and Pics. I agree with what has been shared already and the only thing I can think of to add would be don't be fooled by what you see on the trails. There are many people out there that don't have a clue as to what they are doing or the seriousness of there undertaking on the mountain. Before I realized this I would feel silly putting on my rain gear when everyone else was still in their shorts and tee's. When the clouds roll in and the wind picks up and a heavy shower is upon you before you knew it was there, you are wet and then what? It's better to look silly (only a matter of opinion) and be the few that are prepared, than be cold, wet, and miserable with a long way to hike without relief.

Charlie
08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
welcome Deb

there are a lot of good people here that can help you get the right things you will need.
so do feel free to ask for help

FisherCat
08-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Welcome! You will truly enjoy the site & forums. Hiking in the fall is great, and chances are you are more prone to weather changes. For ourselves on a typical September-October day we usually still start with shorts and a wicking tee. If you warm up fast like we do below treeline and start sweating like mad, I'd rather not soak any outer layers and/or have to take them off. Above treeline where weather and precip and wind become a factor your body readily tells you when to layer up. I'm happy and comfy above treeline with a nice Marmot waterproof(yet breathable parka)and a wicking tee underneath. Not into pants, I only where pants during trailwork time. I think our bodies will be found dead but with shorts on. Any hiking pants depite their claims, have always seemed a bit cumbersome and annoying. But that's a personal issue. Watch the cycling shirt. My brother and father are bikers and though they've tried them for hiking they never have again claiming they are just not up to the task.
KDT is right Davis is a long booter. Study your options. Another benefit is the Lake of the Clouds hut along the Ammo (as KDT mentioned)is feedback on weather from descending hikers and posted weather info at the Hut.
Have fun hiking and post your trip report for us!

Steve M
08-27-2007, 09:08 PM
welcome Deb

there are a lot of good people here that can help you get the right things you will need.
so do not feel free to ask for help
so do not feel free to ask for help??? Did you mean, feel free to smack hawk?:D

Charlie
08-27-2007, 09:20 PM
oops you know what i wanted to say
i fixed it

KD Talbot
08-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm still picturing Fishercat hiking around with no pants. I knew I liked this guy.

KDT

FisherCat
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Yea right-for the sake of humanity-not quite au naturel-shorts will do. There are women and children out on the trails too.

Steve M
08-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm still picturing Fishercat hiking around with no pants. I knew I liked this guy.

KDT
LOL...The whites are sure not the place for hiking in the buff!:eek:

Brad
08-28-2007, 05:52 AM
Maybe that is why we do not see many bears on the trails here.

Steve M
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Maybe that is why we do not see many bears on the trails here.
Because fishercat is scaring them away...?:p

FisherCat
08-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Certainly what they would see isn't worth sticking around for.

rockin rex
08-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Welcome Deb. As you can see by the previous post there are ALOT of awesome peope on this forum and they are more than willing to lend their expertise to others. As far as the question of what to wear on the lower half of the body I myself go with shorts. Once my legs start to get cold or as I reach treeline I throw on a light pair of wind pants. If it is really cold I will also wear a pair of polyproplene bottoms. Polyproplene bottoms are light yet keep you warm when wet and dry out quickly. I never go above tree without wind pants and a pair of poly bottoms. As mentioned in previous post keep ALL clothes that you might need for weather or warmth easily at reach. Weather changes quickly on the rock pile and you might have only a couple of minutes to get the foul weather clothes on before all heck breaks loose. L.L. bean sells reasonable polyproplene bottoms and also reasonably priced wind pants. If you buy your stuff through the Mount Washington Observatory link to L.L. Bean the observatory will get a portion of the cost. It is a great way to support the observatory and get great stuff.

Brad
08-28-2007, 04:55 PM
When I went to REI in NC for my layers for winter hiking they took me to their Patagonia aisle. It has worked very well.

Steve M
08-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone, just found this forum.

Way cool.

Been going to NH every Fall for about 12 years (really just to hike) and strangely enough, last year was the first time I bagged the big 'un.

Going again last week of Sept.

So when I did the "big 'un" last year I had a small problem. Fitness-wise it wasn't a problem (I am an endurance athlete), however, I wasn't dressed properly. Warmth wasn't the issue until I found myself soaking wet. When I got to the top, we were in the middle of a huge cloud, it was about 35 degrees and winds were at 65 mph (which I know for MW, isn't all that bad). Since it was our first, of course we did Tuckerman's. Haven't done the research yet, but thinking of going via Davis this year.

I have a waterproof jacket but didn't need it til we started getting "up there". I am not sure what to wear as pants (I am sure I just had on gym-type pants) or what to wear as my base layers underneath (upper). I probably have a good long-sleeve wicking cycling jersey I can use as layer number 2 but what to use for layer number one? Also don't want to spend a fortune gearing up.
Unfortunately we had to take the van down bcz I was just too wet. I have a compromised immune system and didn't want to take a risk of catching and holding on to that chill and getting sick (so...technically not bagged, downhill is an art, too), but the important part is getting up it, right, I wasn't displeased, just not properly geared up.

Any suggestions and in the future if I can contribute, (12 years hiking up there and almost never doing the same hike twice only the ones I particularly love) I will. Right now I am in the middle of training for races, working full time and teaching Spin classes but would be glad to contribute.

Thanks, all

Deb
I have found that the best time of year to buy warm weather outer wear is in the fall and cold weather outer wear is in the spring. Many of the sports stores esp. the ones geared toward outdoor activities have great items at reduced prices and on clearance. That is the only time I shop for gear. Unless I am in a bind.

FisherCat
08-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes, good deals at the right time can be had. I included a link for the Marmot jackets we wear at a good price(subject to opinion I suppose)both my wife and myself have been very pleased with them. .http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39172972&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Patrad Fischroy
08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
If you like on-line shopping and know what you are looking for, Sierra Trading Post is another reasonable source for gear. www.sierratradingpost.com

FisherCat
08-30-2007, 05:26 PM
These are the pants I wear-only when I have to guys-like trailwork, fancy eatin' balls, weddings, etc. Good quality and price (to me)for what you get is good too.http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=18&idproduct=20

Steve M
08-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Green eh...sweet!:)

FisherCat
08-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Yep, they come in only one color-green. And when you get them they are more of a forest green, fortunately not as bright as depicted on the website.

Charlie
08-30-2007, 06:24 PM
you will sure be seen above the tree line ,now below the tree line you will blend in :D