PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - Owl's Head 8/28-29

Tim&Val
08-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi!

We had a great walk around the Pemi for a couple days, and I got to climb my first slide. The weather was warm and clear during the days, cool and clear at night. Views from the Owl's Head slide were beautiful.

Trip report can be found here! (http://www.barkeater.ws/NH48/images/OwlsHead/20070728/OwlsHeadFrames.htm)

And KD, I owed you some ADK pictures, here are some from Tim's trip (with Dad and Sister-in-Law, but not me) into Lake Colden (http://www.barkeater.ws/LakeColden/index.htm). Lake Colden is an area where there are multiple designated campsites, so of course, the bears have a "route" that they can follow from site to site each day. There's no narrative since I wasn't there, but there are some pictures from Mts Cliff, Redfield, Skylight and Gray. Also, a bear found a dry Gatorade envelope in *someone's* pack during the night. Tim got some up-close pictures.

Valerie

Brad
08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Cool pictures and report.

Charlie
08-31-2007, 07:55 PM
that was nice

now about the bear if you were to yell at it would it run off ?

KD Talbot
08-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Nice TR and great pics! I'm not surprised you found the cairns rebuilt. I'm guessing there is some "Civil Disobediance" going on? The blue things on the tree were the remains of the old arrow which pointed to the "true" summit.

The trip to Lake Colden looks beautiful. The pictures of the water remind me of the view west from the little pond at the Willey House in Crawford Notch. I am absolutely convinced I want to hike the ADK's. I will definitely contact you guys for advice when we do!

KDT

Tim&Val
08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
now about the bear if you were to yell at it would it run off ?

I can't speak for this specific incident, since I wasn't there, but Tim said that these same bears went from campsite to campsite. He said you could hear the yelling and banging of pots & pans all around you all night long.

Also, when we were in the John's Brook Lodge area, we heard from a group who lost all their food before they could get it into the trees. This was before the days of mandatory bear barrels, but they arrived at their campsite and were setting up the tents. The bear arrived, took their food, walked across the brook and sat down on his butt to eat. When he finished, he came back for more. Pots & pans did no good. Whistles did no good.

On the one occasion when the bear walked into our campsite near JBL at 530pm, I yelled *pretty loud* for Tim, who was away from camp, and that didn't seem to phase the bear in the slightest.

Tim keeps referring to them as "big chipmunks". He says that these bears really ignore the people and just go for the easy food. He's right about that, but it doesn't make me feel any better when they're right outside the tent in the middle of the night.

It may have changed a lot in the last couple years, as the bear barrels have been mandatory. This was just my earlier experience.

Just to reiterate, we're talking about established campsites where people are camped every day during the summer months. I think that the more remote areas are less likely to see this kind of action.

Valerie

FisherCat
08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey Guys, That's a great report! We're putting OH on the roster for next year and each time we read a report it just gets us going. We had a whole group of juvenile minks follow us at length when we were returning from our Bonds trip on the Wilderness Trail. Very friendly, very curious, and pleasure to watch. Some were sporadically playful with one another, while others tried to take the whole encounter seriously.

Tim&Val
08-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey Guys, That's a great report! We're putting OH on the roster for next year and each time we read a report it just gets us going. We had a whole group of juvenile minks follow us at length when we were returning from our Bonds trip on the Wilderness Trail. Very friendly, very curious, and pleasure to watch. Some were sporadically playful with one another, while others tried to take the whole encounter seriously.

VERY COOL with the minks!! I've not gotten to see much of them... just fleeting glimpses...

Owl's Head was definitely an adventure! I'm still a bit new to the overnight part, but the last few weeks have given me three overnight adventures (Bonds, Isolation and Owl's Head) with no adverse animal encounters. That's definitely helping my confidence.

Valerie

Tim&Val
08-31-2007, 09:55 PM
I am absolutely convinced I want to hike the ADK's. I will definitely contact you guys for advice when we do!
KDT

Please do!! As I said previously, Tim's done way more than I have, but he can definitely give you ideas on how to do them, aggressive vs. less aggressive paths, etc. Some are just ugly and you gotta do them "as is". :D

Steve M
09-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the trip report and pics. Though you had great views from the slide was it a bit hairy? I don't like loose rocks on steep slopes.

Bill O
09-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Did that bear have a collar around his neck?

I'd like to get in the Adirondacks some more as well. For me its closer than the Whites and really close to my parent's property in VT. I did an overnight many years ago up Marcy. I'd like to do the Gothics or maybe something in the winter.

Tim&Val
09-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the trip report and pics. Though you had great views from the slide was it a bit hairy? I don't like loose rocks on steep slopes.

Up was OK - just tiring and hot. Down was a bit hairy, but we did it slowly, and Tim stayed just a few steps ahead (below) me so that if I slipped and started sliding downhill, he could theoretically stop me. :D

We are solely responsible for a *lot* of new rocks ending up at the bottom of the slide, but luckily, no real issues, just self-induced stress.

Valerie

Tim&Val
09-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Did that bear have a collar around his neck?

I'd like to get in the Adirondacks some more as well. For me its closer than the Whites and really close to my parent's property in VT. I did an overnight many years ago up Marcy. I'd like to do the Gothics or maybe something in the winter.

Yes, he had a collar of some sort (radio?) and also two ear tags - one green and one blue. I think Tim said that that's how the rangers identify them.

You guys are making me feel bad that I don't have all the ADK trips organized and available like the NH trip reports. It's been on the "Coming Soon" section of the web site for about 4 months. I'll try to get to that the next time we have a stretch of rainy weather!! ;)

Valerie

KD Talbot
09-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I think the sad reality is: that's how they keep an eye on them in case there is an attack, they can identify the right bear and destroy it. Easier than killing all the bears in the area and not being sure you got the right one. Only conjecture on my part.

About the ADK's on your website: You may or may not have noticed that the end of '03, all of '04 and the beginning of '05 are missing. I work on it slowly, "When it rains", as you do. Eventually, I hope to have it all posted. There are some great hikes missing, and our first few backpacks. I didn't start my website until we were a few years into our hiking. I had a lot to go back and do. Everything up until July of '05 was shot with film. It was a matter of organizing it, scanning it, preparing it in Photoshop, uploading it, preparing the layout for the web, writing the TR's and captioning the photos. It's a lot of slow, tedious work, even with the auto process I use in Photoshop. When I switched to digital photography that July I promised myself I wouldn't get behind again. I now keep my trips up to date, but I still have all that work to go back and do, which is hard because we hike so much I'm always working on the new stuff. I hope to get the rest done this winter.

So, my point is: work on it when you can, and don't fret about it too much. We all promise to look when you post them!

KDT

Steve M
09-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately, there are a lot of hikes I did when I was younger that I never took a camera on, or I had the camera and would forget to pull it out and use it. I guess that works out fine though because I don't have a lot of catching up to do. I try to keep up with my pics but I'm lax on writing good trip reports. Something to work on.