PDA

View Full Version : New logo...

Rich
09-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Something new to get used to I see? I think I liked the old, windswept summit logo better. It's on the Annual Report too.

Speaking of the AR, I found the "Did you know?" box on the inside cover quite interesting. In 75 years 23,000,000, miles of air has passed the summit! WOW!

Brad
09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, it looks like the banners and logos are changing as we type. I am the first to like change. However, one normally stays away from using red on web pages. Red seems to be the first color that color blind people can not see.

hobbes
09-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Make sure to force refresh the web pages so that you get all the new images and stylesheets. Browsers typically prefer to use cached versions (depending on settings) but can be nudged to check for updates.

Rich
09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Make sure to force refresh the web pages so that you get all the new images and stylesheets. Browsers typically prefer to use cached versions (depending on settings) but can be nudged to check for updates.

Oh, it's red?

hobbes, you mean just hit the refresh button in the browser? Or something else.

bc529
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Please go back the old. Not a big fan of the red. Just get rid of the red. Change is a good thing but not in this case. If they get rid of the red I will be ok!!!!!

Bill O
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
What's wrong with red?

I like the new logo. Honestly, the old logo had become rather dated. Just like lime green bathrooms, purple has run its course.

Edit: Just curious, I wonder if the forum can be re-stylized to match the new Obs colors? That would look nice.

hobbes
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
hobbes, you mean just hit the refresh button in the browser? Or something else. Hit Refresh. If something still doesn't look right, try holding down the shift, ctrl, or apple key while clicking Refresh.

Mike D
09-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Edit: Just curious, I wonder if the forum can be re-stylized to match the new Obs colors? That would look nice.

It probably can be. I tend to be a nuts and bolts guy, not worried so much about colors, but the all parts of the site will eventually be brought in line.

I have to admit I liked the full-width banner of the mountain; it said exactly what we are.

What's wrong with lime green toilets?

Bill O
09-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm so ready to move past the old logo I forgot about that weird teal/green color as well. Not to mention that cloud shaped thing that looked more like a clam.

The old logo had its heyday, but times have changed.

JimS
09-10-2007, 06:10 PM
A little insight on the red...It's the very same exact shade that lays down ink on the historic hays wind recording chart. That's the mindset there...

I like the new top banner, and infact a couple posters in this thread float by in pictures (BillO, BC529, ME), but am not 100% sold on the middle part of the homepage. From Latest news to Join/Give/Shop/View seems a bit rough on my eyes layout wise. Maybe it's the floating menu buttons....

I summary, I love the new logo!!!

Bill O
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I summary, I love the new logo!!!

I second that.

Steve M
09-10-2007, 06:47 PM
The new logo is ok but the red just doesn't work. I agree with Mike about the full size banner also. The old logo had cool colors I thought. I prefer earthy tones.
The layout, as Jim pointed out, is a little too busy. It's a little hard on the eyes.

I'm sorry to sound negative. I don't mean to since I know a lot of time and energy went into the creation of this.

Is it too late to ask for the FORUMS link to stand out more?:)

Magpie
09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Whats up with the home page it looks new but it not all coming up. It's broke on my end.
Change is strange

Steve M
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Whats up with the home page it looks new but it not all coming up. It's broke on my end.
Change is strange
If you refresh the page manually with the refresh button it will all pop in.

Gorque
09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Mine is off-centered, all the way over to the left. Is this is how it's supposed to look?

Red Logo and the forums are blue.

Hmmmm.......... The logo is ok. I liked the previous one better because it denoted the wind better.

IMHO, the forum style needs to change to better match the new logo.

Bill O
09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
I have to say the rollout was rather impressive. Timed perfectly with the 2007 annual report that came in the mail today.

As Scot put it so eloquently, "moving away from the 15 year old teal and purple logo..."

I think its going to look very sharp on t-shirts and outerwear.

Brad
09-10-2007, 08:15 PM
I too like the new logo. And the Annual Report came in the mail today which was reading it.

Since I have worked with color blind people before, I am more sensitive to color stuff. Quite often they can not see red things. This is why most web sites stay away from red.

Brad
09-10-2007, 08:18 PM
I am ready for a new logo T-shirt for sure!

Charlie
09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I am ready for a new logo T-shirt for sure!

me to on the t shirt ,when are they giving them to there favorite forum people:D

Bill O
09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Since I have worked with color blind people before, I am more sensitive to color stuff. Quite often they can not see red things. This is why most web sites stay away from red.

Its not like they are going to see a blank white image where the red logo is.

I like the inverse logo on the cover of the annual as well.

Brad
09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
me to on the t shirt ,when are they giving them to there favorite forum people:D
That is one option. Another is to give a T-shirt to MWO members who increase their membership level by $50 or 50%, whichever is lower - with a minimum starting level of $45.

Charlie
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
That is one option. Another is to give a T-shirt to MWO members who increase their membership level by $50 or 50%, whichever is lower - with a minimum starting level of $45.

ok sounds good to me

Steve M
09-10-2007, 09:41 PM
I will have to say the new design is starting to wear on me. I think the shock of clicking on the link in my favorites and seeing something completely foreign has worn off.

Edit: That idea of yours, Brad, sounds good.

Brad
09-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Anything to generate members and increase the level of membership.

If you go to the home page and click refresh the small images at the upp right of the page change. Cycle through a few of them as they are really good photos.

Gorque
09-11-2007, 08:08 AM

If you go to the home page and click refresh the small images at the upp right of the page change. Cycle through a few of them as they are really good photos.

That's a nice feature.

Bill O
09-11-2007, 08:44 AM

You might even see a picture of me.

Torden
09-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I like the old logo better than the new one.

I like the new site better than the old one.

Cheers.

Patrad Fischroy
09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
You can still gaze at the old logo on the webcam pages if you so desire. At least for now...

Trekker
09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I am STILL having difficulty in viewing the page correctly . . .
When I try to "expand" the Observers comments the comments section goes flying off the left side of the screen and half of it remains hidden. Is this a MAC thing? Is anyone else out there on a MAC and having the same trouble? I noticed late last night that my PC at home viewed it correctly.
And, just to weigh in, I LOVE the new logo. I have SO wanted a new logo up there!! I was sick of the dated look AND the color. LOVE the red color - and, as with others, can't wait to see THIS on a T-shirt.
Bravo, folks!! My hat's off to all of you for an outstanding new look!!

Bill O
09-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I am STILL having difficulty in viewing the page correctly . . .
When I try to "expand" the Observers comments the comments section goes flying off the left side of the screen and half of it remains hidden. Is this a MAC thing? Is anyone else out there on a MAC and having the same trouble? I noticed late last night that my PC at home viewed it correctly.
And, just to weigh in, I LOVE the new logo. I have SO wanted a new logo up there!! I was sick of the dated look AND the color. LOVE the red color - and, as with others, can't wait to see THIS on a T-shirt.
Bravo, folks!! My hat's off to all of you for an outstanding new look!!

Its more important to know what browser you are using not what type of computer. Are you using Safari? Try Firefox for your Mac, its way better than Safari.

Trekker
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, THANK YOU BILL!!
Firefox IS much better . . .
That's what I'm using to connect to the web from now on . . .
And now the new look looks MUCH better.
Unfortunately I can't stay and chat - too much work here to play and browse, but I'll be back -
Thanks again, Bill

hobbes
09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Trekker - what version of MacOSX and Safari are you running?

Charlie
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM

brad all you have to do is click on the new Lego and it changes to

Yankee
09-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Cheers.

Well said! :D

Torden
09-12-2007, 12:32 AM
HEY!

If you rotate the red part of the new logo 90 degrees (clockwise)...

Is it supposed to look like New Hampshire?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Freaky!

Trekker
09-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Hobbes - I'm running a Power PC G5 - MAC OS X version 10.4.10 . . .
and I WAS running Safari, version 2.0.4 -
NOW I'm running Firefox version 2.0.0.6.
No complaints about THIS system . . . it's fast and efficient - wish I had it at home. I'd take a Mac over a PC any day . . . at least for use in the Graphics world.
As to the Mount Washington Observatory, I'm glad to see that they are updating, upgrading and constantly on the cutting edge of this fast paced world. Have fun, up there, guys . . . (I'm jealous of your working environment) . . .

Rich
09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
HEY!

If you rotate the red part of the new logo 90 degrees (clockwise)...

Is it supposed to look like New Hampshire?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Freaky!

Uh, yea...with a little bit of real estate added to the top left corner....:eek:.... I see it!

I like the new logo. It's been a few days now and I like it! Bold, crisp, rich!

Borat S
09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Jagshemash,

This new logo....it's nice!

Brad
09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Jagshemash,

This new logo....it's nice!
Welcome to the forum Borat. Please help us know where Kuczek, Kazakhstan is located and how did you come to be interested in Mt Washington?

I have heard you might be still traveling around the U.S.?

Steve M
09-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the forum Borat. Please help us know where Kuczek, Kazakhstan is located and how did you come to be interested in Mt Washington?

Yea, and do you hike or drive up the mountain in your Lexus???

Borat S
09-13-2007, 08:04 AM

Kuczek is 2 hours by goat from great capitol city of Almaty. It is lovely mountain town with 3 ox, 8 sheep, and 12 chickens.

I learn Mount Washington from Seek and Peak 2007, please you see my page: http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=852

I like you, I like drive around US in my Lexus.

KD Talbot
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Man, I go away for a few days and everything changes. I can't turn my back on you guys for a minute.

I have no choice but to use Firefox now. As Gorque pointed out, the site doesn't work with Safari.

Change is always good, isn't it? I've worked the same job for 25 years. I can't wait for change. Maybe I can become a trash collector, or bag groceries, or pump gas. Anything, PLEASE!

KDT

hobbes
09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
For those having an issue with Safari, do you have Safari 3 installed? If not, are you able to install/try it (www.apple.com/safari/download/) and see if it's still a problem?

KD Talbot
09-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I didn't even think that there was probably an updated version of Safari I should be looking for. I just updated and all things on the Obs website now fall where they should. In other words, this works. Foxfire is probably still better, I'll still keep both browsers.

KDT

hobbes
09-14-2007, 08:27 AM
There were some issues with standards compliance in the previous Safari release, many of which are being fixed in version 3. As the MWOBS site tries to adhere to standards, some non-compliant browsers may have odd quirks about properly displaying the site.

bclark
09-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I've kind of been sitting back and watching this thread before throwing my 2 cents in.

I personally like the new logo and have ever since I saw it first, back in June. Of course, anytime you change something, especially something that's been in place for about 15 years, you are going to get people that are unhappy with the change. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is and there's no way to make everyone happy in this situation.

Don't get me wrong, the old logo was a great logo that I really likes as well. But I definitely think it was time for a change from the outdated teal and purple colors...and what better time to make that change than our 75th anniversary!

As far as the website is concerned, I'm not going to lie, it was a bit much for me at first. Since then though, it has definitely grown on me and I like it much better now that I have started to get used to it.

Well, that's what this observer thinks...for what it's worth....

FisherCat
09-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Maybe this was touched on already, re: the new logo, but when you become a member you get the cool tag for your auto, I think the new logo will look much better as a sticker on our car. Hopefully they will get some. Anybody know, or was that already brought up?

Charlie
09-15-2007, 06:50 PM
that sounds good to me and now that i just renewed my membership for another year ,they can send it out with my new membership card :D

Maksutov
09-15-2007, 08:38 PM

Cheers.I second that.

The new logo strikes me as being garish. With that overbearing "OBS" I expect to see "GYN" somewhere.

Plus red has been shown to be a "flee" color. It makes people uncomfortable and they like to get away from it.

This is one reason why red is such a popular color in fast food restaurants. It keeps the clientele moving.

The logo section is hard to decipher unless one already knows the previous logo. To the uninitiated it must look like a worn-out saw with racing stripes or a slice of cheese invaded by red mold (with scrape marks where an attempt to remove the mold was made).

I could care less about whether or not something is "dated" or "obsolete". If it looks good, it looks good. The old logo looked good. This one tries to give me a headache as I scroll down to get it off the screen.

KD Talbot
09-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I had the same thought about the OBS. You expect to see three letters following.

KDT

Steve M
09-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Maybe this was touched on already, re: the new logo, but when you become a member you get the cool tag for your auto, I think the new logo will look much better as a sticker on our car. Hopefully they will get some. Anybody know, or was that already brought up?
Funny thing is...I just put the old logo sticker on my Jeep a month ago!:D

Brad
09-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Funny thing is...I just put the old logo sticker on my Jeep a month ago!:D
Maybe you need to get a new car then. Get a Subaru through their VIP program and get a discount because of your MWO membership!

Do the new stickers go on the inside of the window? With the heavy tinting on my car's windows it would not be seen. Is there a mount-on-the-outside-of-the-window sticker option now?

Charlie
09-16-2007, 09:16 AM
i will take one that goes on the out side

Steve M
09-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Maybe you need to get a new car then. Get a Subaru through their VIP program and get a discount because of your MWO membership!

Do the new stickers go on the inside of the window? With the heavy tinting on my car's windows it would not be seen. Is there a mount-on-the-outside-of-the-window sticker option now?
The first MWO sticker I received when I first joined was an inside-the -car-sticker. The second one they sent me was an outside-the-car-window-sticker. The inside one can barely be seen even if you are up close due to the tinting. The outside one, well, it's nice and visible.:)

Oh, about the subaru, I am currently taking donations towards it's purchase!:D

Brad
09-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Subaru is the only car my wife will drive. She must have had 4 or 5 by now. We never get rid of a car with less than 200,000 miles - so, they have served us well.

Some of our stories of driving in the winter in a Subaru could be made into excellent commercials. When I drove north this summer in her Subaru and had the alternator go bad, it was hard to realize the problem because my laptop was plugged into the car outlet. The laptop's battery charge was going DOWN as it was providing power to the car. I went through 2 laptop batteries to get to a dealer.

Steve M
09-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Subaru is the only car my wife will drive. She must have had 4 or 5 by now. We never get rid of a car with less than 200,000 miles - so, they have served us well.

Some of our stories of driving in the winter in a Subaru could be made into excellent commercials. When I drove north this summer in her Subaru and had the alternator go bad, it was hard to realize the problem because my laptop was plugged into the car outlet. The laptop's battery charge was going DOWN as it was providing power to the car. I went through 2 laptop batteries to get to a dealer.
Thats too funny, you used your laptop to power your car so you could make it to a dealer. Think of what you could do with a fuel cell.

Brad
09-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Thats too funny, you used your laptop to power your car so you could make it to a dealer. Think of what you could do with a fuel cell.
Turn the 2 sun roofs into solar panels. Hmmm

Magpie
09-19-2007, 02:10 PM
The new logo and front page just started showing everything today for me. It was all broken up for days.
I like the old one better, but change is hard sometimes. :D

Any bets on 1st snow day or did it already snow ?

Mike D
09-19-2007, 03:41 PM
The new logo and front page just started showing everything today for me. It was all broken up for days.
I like the old one better, but change is hard sometimes. :D

Any bets on 1st snow day or did it already snow ?

If anybody else is seeing a fractured site, press F5 or Ctrl+R or click the Reload button in your browser. Whichever one you do, do it repeatedly.

Magpie
09-21-2007, 04:51 PM
If anybody else is seeing a fractured site, press F5 or Ctrl+R or click the Reload button in your browser. Whichever one you do, do it repeatedly.
Mike it was probably my CPU. I had lots in my cache. Thanks for the concern
:cool:

Brad
09-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Mike it was probably my CPU. I had lots in my cache. Thanks for the concern
:cool:
If you still have lots of cash to throw away, I will take it off your hands.

Magpie
09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
If you still have lots of cash to throw away, I will take it off your hands.

What, What am i spellling wrong again ?:p

Brad
09-23-2007, 07:00 PM
What, What am i spellling wrong again ?:p
Isn't the English language great? If our computers read things to us, we would be real confused. matter of fact, mine does - read to me that is.