PDA

View Full Version : Annual Report

Steve M
09-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I just got trough reading the annual report. Lots of great stuff happening at the MWO. Looking forward to another good year.

Congrats Kevin, for being one of the big givers, and the honorable mention in the report!

KD Talbot
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Gee, I'm a little embarrassed by that. I have a beautiful Washburn on my wall to show for some of my donation. Also, others here on the forum raised much more than I did for STP. I appreciate the recognition, but I feel others did more than I did. I'll certainly try harder this year.

KDT

Charlie
09-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I just got trough reading the annual report. Lots of great stuff happening at the MWO. Looking forward to another good year.

Congrats Kevin, for being one of the big givers, and the honorable mention in the report!

what is this report and where did you get it ?????

hobbes
09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
The report was mailed to members. It should be available on the web site in the next few days.

Bill O
09-13-2007, 08:16 PM
what is this report and where did you get it ?????

Sounds like somebody needs to join the club.

Steve M
09-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Sounds like somebody needs to join the club.
Yea, get on the bus, Charlie.:)

Steve M
09-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Bill,

I thought for sure I would see your name in there.

Bill O
09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Bill,

I thought for sure I would see your name in there.

There's always next year.

KD Talbot
09-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, it didn't make sense to me that his name wasn't there. I'm sure it should have been ahead of mine.

KDT

Charlie
09-13-2007, 09:50 PM
do you mean MW membership because i am or is this something else

Steve M
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
do you mean MW membership because i am or is this something else
Yes, we are talking about being a member of the Observatory, not just these forums. The MWO sent out there last fiscal years annual report to all the members. If you are a member you should have received the report. Unless it was delayed or lost in the mail.

Charlie
09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
i am a member it may be in the mail

Bill O
09-14-2007, 06:44 AM
i am a member it may be in the mail

That's good to know.

Probably in the mail. If it got lost you can always see it online.

Did MWO always send out an annual? I don't remember seeing one last year.

Steve M
09-14-2007, 09:13 AM
That's good to know.

Probably in the mail. If it got lost you can always see it online.

Did MWO always send out an annual? I don't remember seeing one last year.
I never saw one for last year either.

hobbes
09-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Both the 2006 & 2007 annual reports are available at http://www.mountwashington.org/publications/annual_report/

Steve M
09-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Both the 2006 & 2007 annual reports are available at http://www.mountwashington.org/publications/annual_report/
Thanks Hobbes,

When I have time I'll check it out!

Patrad Fischroy
09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Someone spent quite a bit more time on this years report than last years. A very different style and more glossy. I like the sidebars and other points of interest that were added in. Last year's was pretty much just as informative, but was not as "produced".

Brad
09-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Someone spent quite a bit more time on this years report than last years. A very different style and more glossy. I like the sidebars and other points of interest that were added in. Last year's was pretty much just as informative, but was not as "produced".
It is clear a lot of time was spent on this And the result is very good. That being said, I am a very picky guy - there should have been a bit more editing to make sure things were 100%.

Steve M
09-14-2007, 03:00 PM
It was really cool to see that the monies raised through memberships was enough to cover summit operating costs for the year. Imagine if we all went to the next level in our giving.:cool:

Brad
09-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I am assuming the summit operations and staff salaries are in the $1,526,090 expense line. We all gave $590,844 between membership dues and contributions. So, I think we are still a bit short in our giving. The next level up is needed.

Steve M
09-14-2007, 05:45 PM
I am assuming the summit operations and staff salaries are in the $1,526,090 expense line. We all gave $590,844 between membership dues and contributions. So, I think we are still a bit short in our giving. The next level up is needed.
I don't know about salaries, I'm just going by what is shown on the chart on page 4. It says that summit operations runs a quarter mil. per year which is roughly what memberships are accounting for.

Brad
09-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I was reading the Financials section and not that small insert on page 4. My $590k figure is both memberships and contributions. I have had years where I wanted to give more after the membership drive, so I sent another check. To me it is the same. According to MWO's bookkeeper it may be counted different.

Bill O
09-14-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't look at a lot of non-profit financial statements. Can anybody explain what the permanent and temporary restrictions are all about?

Steve M
09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
I don't look at a lot of non-profit financial statements. Can anybody explain what the permanent and temporary restrictions are all about?
I found this in an article written to explain terms in financial documents:

NET ASSETS

1. NATURE AND DEFINITION
Net assets are the residual interest in an entity’s assets remaining after liabilities are
deducted.
2. CLASSIFICATION
Net assets are classified as either unrestricted, permanently restricted and
temporarily restricted.
a. Unrestricted – include those net assets whose use is not restricted by donors,
even though their use may be limited in other respects, such as by contract or by
board designation. Changes in net assets arising from exchange transactions
should be included in the unrestricted class except income and gains on assets
that are restricted by donor or by law. Unrestricted net assets maybe further
classified as follows:
1. Unappropriated – use of assets is not designated by center management for
special purposes.
2. Appropriated – use of assets has been restricted by center management for
specific purposes such as capital build-up, reserve for replacement of
property and equipment, special endowment, etc. Appropriation from
unrestricted net assets maybe done on an annual basis based on board of
trustees’ resolution.
b. Permanently restricted – increases when the organization receive grants for
which donor-imposed restrictions limiting the organization’s use of the asset or its
economic benefits neither expire with the passage of time nor can be removed
by the organization’s meeting certain requirements.
c. Temporarily restricted – these are net assets whose use by the organization has
been limited by donors to:
1. later periods of time or after specified dates; or

2. to specified purpose.
It may also change as a result of increases and decreases in existing assets or
the economic benefits embodied in those assets that are subject to donor-imposed
temporary restrictions.

Brad
09-15-2007, 06:03 AM
I have been on the Board of a summer camp. It is quite normal to get donations that "must be used for the tennis program" or must be added to the "Campership Fund". In some cases people will say the principal can not be touched and the income generated has restrictions on how it can be used.

Bill O
09-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks, makes sense now.

Charlie
09-15-2007, 08:52 AM
well i don't know what happened to mine in the mail but i did look at it on line .maybe it went out to all the people that did seak the peak ?

Brad
09-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Hawk,

it should have gone out to all current members of MWO. Mine came in the same day as Bill O's.

Steve M
09-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Hawk,

it should have gone out to all current members of MWO. Mine came in the same day as Bill O's.
As did mine and it had to travel farther to get to me.

Brad
09-15-2007, 11:02 AM
It is possible your donation was counted as a "contribution" and not as a "membership". I have had that happen in prior years.

Steve M
09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Hawk,

If you would like to have a hard copy you could always contact the membership dept and find out what happened and have one sent to you.

Charlie
09-15-2007, 11:42 AM
i am a member because i went on the Edi trip and all the goodies that come with a new membership

Steve M
09-15-2007, 12:23 PM
i am a member because i went on the Edi trip and all the goodies that come with a new membership
I'm not questioning whether your a member or not. What I am saying is for some reason the report you should have received didn't make it to your door. If you contact membership you can tell them that you didn't get the report and you would like them to send you one. At the same time just find out if they have you listed as a member, as Brad was saying, there might be an issue there that needs to be resolved.:)

Patrad Fischroy
09-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I know for sure that it was not a factor of attending Seek the Peak" as I have not set foot in New Hampshire for over a year:( and I received mine. One other thing that you might check is whether the address that they have is correct. Also check to see if anyone else in the household just chucked the junkmail. No offense to the staff, but it was just a big red pamphlet in the mail.