PDA

View Full Version : August Progress Report

Bill O
09-14-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm particularly pleased with the wind data. 2.2 mph above the average is a nice number. Seems like the past few years wind has been below average.

A peak at 94 mph isn't bad either. 100mph would have been icing on the cake, but 94 will give those summer hikers a nice wake up call.

Mike D
09-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I liked the frozen precip number. Usually you hope to get a trace during July and August to keep the continuity, but 0.2 inches is fantastic.

On the subject of wind, I recall taking some high wind pictures on the parapet three summers ago. A fellow intern was trying to take my picture leaning into the hurricane winds. I had my weight forward when a huge gust plastered me back against the railing. The August air was mild in the 50s, but imagine riding your bike at highway speeds when it's that cold! I went back to the weather room and saw that the spike was 96 mph. and then I noticed I had lost my winter hat.

That reminds me of the story of Pete losing his hat on the parapet. As he told it, Jim remarked "it was still goin' up when I lost sight of it."