PDA

View Full Version : This weekends Summit Weather

Doyle
09-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I was looking at the summit forecast for this weekend and it seems that Sunday would be a better day to drive up to the Summit. My question is whether or not the clouds will hang around the summit on Sunday due to the storm coming in or if the front will clear everything up for Sunday?

Thanks

CD

billysinc
09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I think picking a winning lottery number would be easier than predicting the summit visibility. Sunday though looks like it's definitely the better day.

Look at this picture, everywhere but the summit had a view:

http://picasaweb.google.com/engineczar/Willeys2007/photo#5090112548530267042

Bill O
09-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Summit looks to be in the fog all day Saturday then drying out Sunday morning. Forecast looks to be in the clear after sunrise with temps in the mid-20's

Doyle
09-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks,

The summit is in the fog most days, I wanted to avoid really bad weather.

I may just go both days!!!

CD

Steve M
09-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks,

The summit is in the fog most days, I wanted to avoid really bad weather.

I may just go both days!!!

CD
That's what I would do!:D If you prepare well, you could even go for a hike while your there.

bclark
09-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Summit looks to be in the fog all day Saturday then drying out Sunday morning. Forecast looks to be in the clear after sunrise with temps in the mid-20's

That looks like the most likely scenario right now. I personally think that there is a decent chance that we remain in the fog longer than the models have us in. We'll see tomorrow morning...

We dropped down to 32 degrees in the last couple hours and are starting to get some glaze icing. Icing should probably pick up here later this evening as the temperature continues to drop. Of course, how much icing we get all depends on how long we stay in the fog too. We also saw a period of sleet as the secondary cold front moved through.

Bill O
09-15-2007, 04:54 PM
By 8am you have an 11-12F dewpoint spread on the MOS. Who knows what the actual spread will be, but that's a strong indication that drier air is moving in.

The question is what will the Auto Road do if you have a few inches of rime ice down to 5500 feet?

bclark
09-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Well, you had it nailed Bill. It began clearing just before sunrise and after ths sun was up it cleared out completely. The low level moisture that I thought would linger and perhaps keep us in the fog has been trapped below the summit, in the form of a partial undercast, by an inversion. I should have seen that coming...

Things got really interesting last night. The peak wind gust was 95.3 mph...sooo close to 100. We got some sleet from upsloping that accumulated in some spots around the summit. We lost our internet connection until this morning when I was able to re-aim the dish for our internet connection. Check out the webcams, now that they are updating again. It's a beautiful Sunday morning up here!

Brad
09-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Brian, thanks for fixing the web cameras. We all depend on them to start our day.

JimS
09-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I was thinking about hiking up to lakes or madison yesterday, but the weather scared me off...really wish I had this morning though...sweet webcam images this morning, and looking forward to your comments up there!

I hope that the alpine fall colors last until next weekend!!! I'll hope for better weather then!

Charlie
09-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Brian, thanks for fixing the web cameras. We all depend on them to start our day.

yes some need the cam shots each day just like some cant do with out a cup of coffee in the morning

Steve M
09-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, it looks like all that pretty white ice is slowly disappearing. We'll just have to wait for the next round. Hopefully some snow.

Doyle
09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow!!! OK so your predictions were right on target. I woke up this morning looking out my window at the Mt. Washington Hotel at around 8:00AM looking at the summit, which was in and out of the fog with an icy glaze reflecting back.

I jumped online with the mountain right behind me and saw that the summit temp was 25 degrees with a wind speed of 1 MPH. This environment did not sink in until I drove the 50 miles through Crawford Notch and the then north on 16.

My fiancee needed to change the baby, so while she changed the baby at the base parking lot, at the same time my brother and his wife went over in their truck to the auto road gate. My brother came over to where we were parked and said well I have good news and bad news. Good: the summit has great weather and Bad: we can't go over 4,000 feet due to the ice. Well, at this point I felt like Clark Griswold in the movie "Vacation". Being with 4 others, they attempted to make it seem OK by saying "let's just go to Wildcat and go on the Gondola ride" I just looked :eek: and said no we're going up!!!

We went in 2 separate vehicles. As I was nearing 4,000 feet I said to myself, it is awfully warm, like 48 degrees warm. By the way, I took some flack on this, as all I ever talk about is how bad the weather is on the rock pile.

At 4,000 feet I see the tourist vans and other cars parked on the side of the road, but... more importantly I could see the "Closed" gate off to the side of the road, but I kept following the car in front of me. I am psyched but not showing it, being concerned that in another 100 feet I will see a closed sign on a saw horse.

All I can say is that persistence does payoff:D

Doyle
09-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Wow!!! OK so your predictions were right on target. I woke up this morning looking out my window at the Mt. Washington Hotel at around 8:00AM looking at the summit, which was in and out of the fog with an icy glaze reflecting back.

I jumped online with the mountain right behind me and saw that the summit temp was 25 degrees with a wind speed of 1 MPH. This environment did not sink in until I drove the 50 miles through Crawford Notch and the then north on 16.

My fiancee needed to change the baby, so while she changed the baby at the base parking lot, at the same time my brother and his wife went over in their truck to the auto road gate. My brother came over to where we were parked and said well I have good news and bad news. Good: the summit has great weather and Bad: we can't go over 4,000 feet due to the ice. Well, at this point I felt like Clark Griswold in the movie "Vacation". Being with 4 others, they attempted to make it seem OK by saying "let's just go to Wildcat and go on the Gondola ride" I just looked :eek: and said no we're going up!!!

We went in 2 separate vehicles. As I was nearing 4,000 feet I said to myself, it is awfully warm, like 48 degrees warm. By the way, I took some flack on this, as all I ever talk about is how bad the weather is on the rock pile.

At 4,000 feet I see the tourist vans and other cars parked on the side of the road, but... more importantly I could see the "Closed" gate off to the side of the road, but I kept following the car in front of me. I am psyched but not showing it, being concerned that in another 100 feet I will see a closed sign on a saw horse.

All I can say is that persistence does payoff:D It was great, I look forward to spending more time up there!!!

ChrisN
09-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Hello. New here, well as least as far as posting, I have been lurking for a while gathering information and just wanted to post real quick as I hiked up via the Jewell Trail this past Saturday and all I can say is "wow", what an adventure that was. First time up the mountain but certainly not the last.

The weather above the tree line was much more severe than I am use to when hiking. We knew it wasnt going to be an overly pleasant day, the forecast was for rain until mid-afternoon. But around 3PM, when we had last checked the rain was supposed to be moving out, the conditions near the summit were intense!

We just barely caught the last train down as the weather was not permitting them to keep running. We made it up with about 10 minutes to spare before needing a ride down.

Very fun day though, would do it again in a heartbeat but....will be a little more selective of the weather :p

HAPPYCAMPER26
09-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey everyone, like Chris I'm new here. My son and I did Eisenhower Sunday (16th) and snapped a great pic of the summit around 10:00 am. Hopefully i attached it right.

Brad
09-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Great to hear you had a good and safe time. What time did you leave the cog base station to head up? And when did you get to the summit? I am assuming the "3PM" was the day before when you checked the weather for the last time.

One of the key points here is what is the latest "head down the mountain" time? As the days get shorter, that time gets earlier each day. Plus, the weather can push that up. Many folks continue to push for the summit too late in the day and then have a tough time getting down.