PDA

View Full Version : Tooth Brush to Night Cap.

CaupCakeBatter
09-23-2007, 06:22 PM
A few of us are planning on hiking Mt. Wash this upcoming weekend. I've been researching trails, huts, shelters, campsites, etc. There seems to be a lot of info on this area along with hundreds of personal opinions on whats best or better then the other. Because of the obvious I am having a hard time cutting through the clutter and deciding on where to start and where to finish.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a few start to finish itineraries for a Friday and Saturday night trip. Included would be; Where to camp, which trail to start on and which trails to descend on. Along with any other info we should be aware of besides the unpredictable weather patterns.

Thanks for all of your help.

JimS
09-25-2007, 01:41 PM
General Info.

Where to stay. Your huts on the mountain itself have closed for the season (Lake of the Clouds) That limits your option to one for camping 'on the mountain'. This is at hermit lake shelter on the tuckerman ravine trail. A beautiful spot to wake up in the morning!!! Otherwise, you would have to camp at Dolly Copp on rt. 16 in Pinkham Notch. There is limited, and for all general purposes, NO camping elsewhere on the mountain.

Trails: Because Lakes Hut is closed, I would recommend the east side of the mountain. Hike the tuckerman ravine trail to hermit lake shelter, either stay there, or continue on either Lion Head Trail or the Tuckerman Ravine trail to the top.

Other info...
You mentioned the weather. Take it SERIOUSLY, and don't be aftraid, or ashamed to turn back. The mountain will be there.

Bring enough gear for an overnight on a day trip. I never hike above treeline during the shoulder seasons without extra layers, extra food, and some kind of shelter.

Lastly, have fun, it's a beautiful time of year!

Bill O
09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I agree, your options are somewhat limited this time of year.

Personally. I'd setup base camp at Hermit Lake, either shelters or tent site then go exploring from there.

You can haul in a load of extra goodies for the two night stay since its not too far from the trailhead. Hike in Friday, setup camp and maybe explore Tuckerman Ravine if you have time. Then Saturday climb Mount Washington, wonder across the Alpine Garden or maybe down to Lakes of the Clouds then down the Boott Spur Link back to Hermit lake for Saturday night. Then head out Sunday.

This gives you plenty of options to explore Mount Washington and take your time since you are starting at Hermit Lake. Plus, you have an extra day to summit of the weather is bad on Saturday.

FisherCat
09-25-2007, 02:36 PM
The reminder of taking the weather seriously by Jim S is no joke. September & October are months of great weather transition in the Whites. Pages 19&20 in the Introduction of the 28th AMC White Mountain Guide give you an idea of some gear you should expect to bring. One fellow at the Perch one night bragged about cutting the handle of his toothbrush to econmize space in his pack. I think he wanted us to be impressed, but our response was "You actually brought a toothbrush?". Point being given, enjoy yourself, bring your basics and some back-up, but most of all give yourself time to enjoy the experience and be safe at the same time.

Bill O
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I carry a toothbrush for overnighters. Usually the small kind that stores in the handle. I also carry toothpaste, just a little though. There's certain luxuries that I will always carry despite the added weight. After a few years of hiking you'll figure out what gives the best luxury to weight ratio.

CaupCakeBatter
09-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all of the help.

One question I have is, how safe will my tent and equipment be alone at hermit lake shelter?

Thanks

Bill O
09-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all of the help.

One question I have is, how safe will my tent and equipment be alone at hermit lake shelter?

Thanks

I'd say safe to quite safe.

Probably safer if the tent is setup and your loose gear is stored inside when you are out hiking. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about it, but so many people are asking I am starting to get worried.

Steve M
09-25-2007, 08:28 PM
I'll say that we do a lot of camping and most of the time it's at regular campgrounds where you would think you would be more likely to have things stolen but when people are camping they are very different than they are at home. There seems to be almost a comradary amongst campers. Now I would never leave something like a camera or GPS or a wallet full of money laying around but that type of stuff you would have with you while hiking anyway.