PDA

View Full Version : moose in autumn color

forestgnome
09-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Each autumn, I stalk bogs hoping to see a big bull in a bog. I love the color in bogs in autumn, and the bulls have just shed the velvet. I saw this big cow after sunrise on Saturday in the Pemigawassett Wilderness. Any favorite bogs with moose?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/9-22-07-021aa.jpg

Happy Trails :)

forestgnome
09-26-2007, 06:13 AM
We can also see that her winter coat has grown in, at least partially. I saw a bull on the Kancamagus yesterday and the velvet was gone. Saturday will be sunny with temps in the 60s. Autumn is here!!!

Brad
09-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Patrick - nice to see this picture got added to the Photo Journal.

It is hard to have your camera out of the way and ready to shoot at the same time. I ordered a holster last night for my camera which hopefully can be attached to my pack or my belt. It has a top flap and can handle the camera with a 6" lens attached. Will be interesting to see how this works.

JimS
09-26-2007, 07:35 AM
A classic shot, with great color! What a fantastic moment captured for all to see! Thanks for posting!

Steve M
09-26-2007, 08:15 AM
How close to this moose are you and do you wear camo when you are out there?

forestgnome
09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
How close to this moose are you and do you wear camo when you are out there?

30', and absolutely not!!!:eek: It's hunting season! I wear orange from head to toe.

You cannot get moose photos like this without the moose knowing of your presence, or at least I can't. The moose I photograph definately know I'm there. It's not good to be sneaky. Instead, let them see you and don't stare at them for more than a moment. Don't act like a predator would act.

Here's another one from about 20'...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/9-22-07-042a.jpg

forestgnome
09-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Patrick - nice to see this picture got added to the Photo Journal.

It is hard to have your camera out of the way and ready to shoot at the same time. I ordered a holster last night for my camera which hopefully can be attached to my pack or my belt. It has a top flap and can handle the camera with a 6" lens attached. Will be interesting to see how this works.

I carry my camera in a top-loader case, attached to my shoulder straps with carabiners, right where the sternum strap is. It's ready to draw and shoot, and this distributes the weight as well. I can post a pic of the set-up if you'd like.

JimS
09-27-2007, 05:30 AM
I carry my camera in a top-loader case, attached to my shoulder straps with carabiners, right where the sternum strap is. It's ready to draw and shoot, and this distributes the weight as well. I can post a pic of the set-up if you'd like.

I would be interested in seeing your setup. I've been thinking of buying a top loader that slings opposite of my pack...

Brad
09-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I am also interested in your setup. A top loading holster is on order for me - and probably will not be here before I head to Maine next week.

Patrad Fischroy
09-27-2007, 03:07 PM
For some interesting holsters take a look at www.kgear.com for Kinesis, they use a fairly simple buckle arrangement to attach to belts or other such. I like their construction and the fact that they are manufactured domestically.

Hokey Pokey
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Awesome picture. Please let him/her be there when I go thru the Pemi in about a week and a half.

In my 3 past trips to NH/ME in the fall, I've yet to see a LIVE moose.

Brad
10-12-2007, 07:42 AM

Yes, please post a picture of how you have this set up. I will be taking off to the NC coast to take pictures tomorrow - then look to get to Blue Ridge parkway a week later. The fall colors will be late this year - what color NC will have. the holster came in and there are several ways of hooking it up. But, I am interested on how you do it.