PDA

View Full Version : Ammo trail question

lwa11
10-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I am getting dropped off at the trailhead. Is there a place to start closer than the parking lot?

Somewhere up near the Cog Railway that will cut some of the distance and save some time?

The idea is to head up the Ammo while my wife drives back around to Pinkham and up the auto road.

Lloyd

lloydsjourney.com

JimS
10-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, you can start right at the cog railway, in the upper right of their lot...it's near the upper cabins. Saves nearly a mile! Good luck!

I am getting dropped off at the trailhead. Is there a place to start closer than the parking lot?

Somewhere up near the Cog Railway that will cut some of the distance and save some time?

The idea is to head up the Ammo while my wife drives back around to Pinkham and up the auto road.

Lloyd

lloydsjourney.com

lwa11
10-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks Jim. That is good news indeed.

Does it start you of basically at Gem?

So basically right into the ascent?

If I am headed one way then what is the minimum you would take with you?

water, power bars, camera, wind breaker, poles, hat, gloves?

Brad
10-04-2007, 03:51 PM
If you stand at the Cog building looking at the mountain in back, there are a couple of cabins upslope and to the right. The Ammo trail starts there and it is a gradual increase in slope to travel next to the stream - and then cross over the stream at the Gem pool. It is definitely a better place to start than the parking lot down below.

As for what to take, I would take everything as if you had to do both directions - because you might have to. Don't count on making it to the summit. Count on getting close and then having to go back down. Then you will be better prepared.

JimS
10-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Still got some good hiking to get to Gem Pool, but not as far. Gem Pool starts the steep stuff...

Even one way hiking in the fall, I'd carry gear...just incase. But I think you have a good start. You never know if the road or cog won't be running when you get up there, so plan for two, hope for one!

Have a great hike!

Steve M
10-04-2007, 07:58 PM

If I remember correctly, you have about a mile of hiking from the cog station to Gem pool.
Have a great day!

lwa11
10-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Sounds like it will shorten the trip a bit. I am guessing that it won't be as hard as Caps Ridge Trail but harder than say Edmunds Path.

Any approximate time and mileage from the cog station to Lakes of the Clouds?

After Lakes I may be tired but will be motivated as I like the open terrain much more than the woods part of trails.

Steve M
10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Sounds like it will shorten the trip a bit. I am guessing that it won't be as hard as Caps Ridge Trail but harder than say Edmunds Path.

Any approximate time and mileage from the cog station to Lakes of the Clouds?

After Lakes I may be tired but will be motivated as I like the open terrain much more than the woods part of trails.
If you are a quick paced hiker you should be at the hut in 2.5 and on the summit in 3.5. I think the average is 4 and it took us 5.5...Wife and 2 kids and helping a 70 yr old woman for a while.

Maksutov
10-09-2007, 04:21 AM
If you are a quick paced hiker you should be at the hut in 2.5 and on the summit in 3.5. I think the average is 4 and it took us 5.5...Wife and 2 kids and helping a 70 yr old woman for a while.My 8-year-old-son and I did that route in early August, 1980. It took us about 3 hours to the hut and then about 1.5 hours to the summit. The weather was really lousy, with rain, wind, and temps in the lower 50s all the way up the Crawford Path.

Got to see the demolished ruins of the old summit hotel on that trip.

Meanwhile the closer to the trailhead the better.