PDA

View Full Version : Traverse trip Planned

am39053
10-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi all, a buddy and I are planning a trip across the traverse on Nov 11th. We are looking to go north from Appalachia, up the Valley Way Trail across the range, summitting as many of the mounatins as possible, in three days and two nights, and coming out at the Crawford Depot.

We have two logistical questions. We were looking to get up to our launch point a day early and was wondering if there was any place to stay or do we need to simply camp out at the trail head.

The other question was once we get to the Crawford Depot, is there a way to get back to our truck at our Appalachia launch point.

Thanks

Rich
10-05-2007, 07:23 AM
AMC shuttle runs weekends only after the end of September. You could do a car spot or hitch back.

Bill O
10-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't think you can camp at the trailhead. There are plenty of places to stay in Gorham or you could camp at Dolly Camp not too far down the road.

Also, from Appalachia you want to head south, not north. Which I'm sure you would have figured out fairly quickly.

Where were you planning on staying during the traverse? You can't camp above treeline unless you're on two feet of snow, which may or may not be hard to find.

November typically sees some of the worst weather on Mount Washington with rapid and extreme changes. So be prepared for that.

am39053
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys for the response.

We can't car spot since there is only two of us and hitching does not sound like a solid option. Never know if you will see anyone on the road.

Bill O - You're right, I meant to say head south. Thanks for the suggestions as to where to stay. Do you recommend any place in Gorham? Is there a parking lot by Appalachia launch point?

We expect to utilize the tent sites as camping facilities during the traverse. Unless of course there is enough snow to allow us to camp about the tree line.

Bill - any suggestions about how to get back to Appalachia from Crawford Depot?

Bill O
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I think there a few motels and a hostel in Gorham. I don't have any specific recommendations. The hostel is cheap but predictably grim.

I hate to say this, but the reality is that most people hitch in your situation. I'm not saying its the right thing to do, but its the most logical option. If it was my trip I'd drop my car at Crawford and hitch to the starting point at Appalachia. That way I get right into my car at the end of the trip and don't have to deal with hitching when you are so tired. As with any "winter" traverse you can expect to retreat and pop out just about anywhere.

Both Crawford and Appalachia have large parking lots which will be mostly empty that time of year. I recommend making your car look as un-appealing as possible. Lock everything in the trunk and don't leave anything out on the seats. Also, make your car as visible to the road as possible.

a3dad
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Hey Bill and Rich, I'll be joining AM39053 on this trek. Thanks for the info.

Looks like this might work out. If we locate our car at Crawford on a Saturday evening, can we catch the AMC bus and ride to Gorham? Where can we find more info on the bus schedule?

Kevin (a3dad)

a3dad
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey Bill and Rich. Thanks for the Info. I will be joining AM39053 on the traverse.

Looks like this might work. If we locate our car at the Crawford parking lot on a Saturday or Sunday, can we catch the AMC bus to Gorham? Where can we find more info on the bus schedule?

Kevin (a3dad)

Bill O
10-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Where can we find more info on the bus schedule?

Kevin (a3dad)

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

Rich
10-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Pretty sure the shuttle stops around the end of Oct. Your trip is planned for Nov.? You might be hitching. Don't worry about getting a ride, there'll be plenty of cars on the road.

Try over at viewsfromthetop.com It's a private forum and you need to be sponsored to post but, if you read anything about others doing this trip around the same time you could try to work out transportation with them. Or if someone's doing a reverse traverse you could do a key swap along the way. May be a stretch but could be worth it. There are few people on this forum that are members over there who may sponsor you. Good luck!

a3dad
10-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Seeing that there is little or no snow up there yet, are there any reliable water sources? We're planning on heading up from Appalachia on Nov 11 via the valley trail. Camp at the Valley Way Tentsite. Head across Gulfside Trail. Camp somewhere around the Lakes Hut (any suggestions?). And then take Crawford Path out.

FisherCat
10-23-2007, 10:45 AM
If you're looking for something in town(Gorham) to stay, you can check these out.
http://www.mtmadisonmotel.com/
http://www.hikersparadise.com/

KD Talbot
10-23-2007, 10:10 PM
" Camp somewhere around the Lakes Hut (any suggestions?). And then take Crawford Path out."

My suggestion would be check the rules, there is no camping above treeline unless you have 2 feet of snowpack.

CAMPING

Presidential Range-Dry River Wilderness

Wilderness regulations, intended to protect Wilderness resources and promote opportunities for challenge and solitude, prohibit use of motorized equipment or mechanical means of transportation of any sort. Camping and wood or charcoal fires are not allowed within 200 ft. of any trail except at designated campsites.
Hiking and camping group size must be no larger than 10 people. Camping and fires are also prohibited above the treeline (where trees are less than 8 ft. tall), except in winter, when camping is permitted above the treeline in places where snow cover is at least 2 ft. deep, but not on any frozen body of water. Many shelters have been removed, and the remaining ones will be dismantled when major maintenance is required; one should not count on using any of these shelters.

Forest Protection Areas

The WMNF has established a number of Forest Protection Areas (FPAs)—
formerly known as Restricted Use Areas—where camping and wood or charcoal fires are prohibited throughout the year. The specific areas are under continual review, and areas are added to or subtracted from the list in order to provide the greatest amount of protection to areas subject to damage by excessive camping, while imposing the lowest level of restrictions possible. A general list of FPAs in this section follows, but since there are often major changes from year to year, one should obtain current information on FPAs from the WMNF.

(1) No camping is permitted above treeline (where trees are less than
8 ft. tall), except in winter, and then only in places where there is at least
2 ft. of snow cover on the ground—but not on any frozen body of water,
and not on the east face of Mt. Washington's summit cone from Boott
Spur to Nelson Crag (the area above Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines,
including the Alpine Garden area). The point where the above-treeline
restricted area begins is marked on most trails with small signs, but the
absence of such signs should not be construed as proof of the legality of
a site.

(2) No camping is permitted within a quarter mile of any trailhead,
picnic area, or any facility for overnight accommodation such as a hut,
cabin, shelter, tentsite, or campground, except as designated at the facility
itself. In the area covered by Section 1, camping is also forbidden within a
quarter mile of Glen Ellis Falls.

There is camping at Hermit Lake Shelter in Tuckerman Ravine.

KDT

a3dad
10-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the info KD.

Water Source anyone? (Basically along the AT (Gulfside & Crawford).

KF

Steve M
10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info KD.

Water Source anyone? (Basically along the AT (Gulfside & Crawford).

KF
I would say Star Lake by Madison Spring Hut and the lakes by Lakes of the Clouds Hut would be your closest, easiest sources of water. Be sure to filter it as with any natural source in the Whites.

stearnzie
10-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Right off the top of my head, the valley way tentsite is a REALLY short hike up the valley way trail...you might be better off tacking on more miles and going to The Perch or another tent site (can't remember what it's called...maybe crag camp or gray knob?) off the Isreal Path. Otherwise, your first day is really a bust with less than 4 miles of hiking...

...I know that I'm repeating some of what's already been said, but make sure to abide by the guidelines while your here. Lots of people every year do things like stealth camping above the treeline, and the effects are noticable. water sources...hmmmmm...right at the perch, there is runoff that is REALLY consistent. I'd say that if you know anyone with the Appalacian Trail maps (the book series by David Hooke that includes maps) the water sources are mapped out nicely, as the traverse has some of the AT contained in it...

I would actually have loved to join you guys, or at least gone to give you a ride back down to Valley Way...but I'll be heading to New York to see a dear friend. :cool:

am39053
11-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi all, as part of our trip we are working out logistics of leave a car and getting transport to our trail head launch. We think the visitor's Center in Crawford Notch State Park as a good point to have someone pick us up. Does someone have the name of this visitor center or some other identifying name that we could give to the person picking us up?

Thanks

billysinc
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Its called the Highland center

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/highland/index.cfm

rockin rex
11-03-2007, 05:06 PM
These cabins are around 4 miles up from Appalachia parking lot or easier route is to park at Lowes store and take the Lowes path up. Both are enclosed cabins and both have water. Crag camp is my favorite place to stay in the Whites but Grey Knob is nice also. They are both much better than a hotel room. Seeing that it is Nov. Grey knob might even have the wood burning stove in.

am39053
11-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi, this time next week we will be embarking on our trek across the Traverse. From the standpoint of being safe, is there someone, I.e. rangers station, etc., we should contact with our planned itinerary and route?