PDA

View Full Version : Trails and trailwork, Oct 6-9

FisherCat
10-10-2007, 12:09 AM
Present for all activities thus described would be Fisher Cat, B & D ( Bound & Determined ), Forester Jake, and TIF (stands for "This Isn't Fun" which is what she kept saying when she was 16 and I took her and her sister, B & D, up Glen Boulder which was TIF's first hike ever. For the record she now really enjoys hiking and is quite good at it!)
October 7, though the forecast was for showers and temps in the 50's it turned out to be a great day! We enjoyed bluebird skies and temps in the high 60's. This was the first time we didn't see bears on on our trail. We did see a record of hikers-21, including a group of 10 ridgerunners. Most everyone was friendly, inquisitive, even thankful! The comments are most encouraging. One weird conversation was ended by a hiker when he said goodbye by saying " I'd tell you to have fun, but it doesn't look like it is!". No one individual could possibly be more incorrect with such a statement. Trailwork rules, plain and simple. And when you are doing it for your home state, its the best. Removed a substantial beech blowdown in a beech grove where we swear there is a new one every trip. (this makes number 6). We fixed, rebuilt, and cleaned a total of 39 blowdowns. Seventeen before the switchbacks, and 22 after the switchbacks. At waterbar #34 (when descending, #5 when ascending) Forester Jake had the misfortune of smashing his finger while placing a huge rock in position. It landed square on his middle finger. I had no idea what had happened but turned around and saw him jumping like a cat in a rocking chair factory. And, mister man, was he bleeding. The most damage was done when pulling his finger out in reaction. After it was cleaned, bandaged, and a homemade twig splint was made, it was back to work. I'm sure he will lose the nail. That waterbar is now known as Place of the Smashed Finger. If you look close on the uphill rocks of the waterbar you will still see the blood splatters. Sorry folks, you don't give up a good rock when you need it.
On the way out Lincoln Woods Trail cleared another 2 blowdowns. Nothing says stay on that side of the trail like flying wood chips. Not too many friendly people here though was able to strike up conversation with some heavy packers who were at Guyot the night before. Glad to say on this trip we did not find much trash. Only one orphaned Nalgene and a grey t-shirt which I carried out on my axe handle like a scalp.
October the 8 was to be spent working on cairns on the Alpine Garden Trail, but the weather made it most unwise. Instead we hit the Hancocks. The grey overcast made the colors stand out even more, and they were great! Saw total of 10 people. No views, but it didn't matter as we really enjoyed ourselves. This is a great trail and though it suffers from drainage difficulty makes a great hike. It was very quiet, which heightened the remote feeling. Lunch at North consisted of a fine cabernet with dried meat, crackers,and gouda cheese. We fed some gray jays on the peak of North and encountered relatively fresh moosetracks on the ridge going to South. Below the 3000 foot range the amount of fallen maple leaves produced a scarlet carpet to walk on. Removed one blowdown on South link during descent. We started at 830am, and didn't finish till 520pm because we really took our time. I don't like leaving and stretch out the years last hike as much as possible. This hike allowed me to swing full cycle this summer. A 4- peaker in July-Zealand, West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff. A 3-peaker in August-Carter Dome, South and Middle Carter. A 2-peaker-North and South Hancock. And 2, 1-peakers-Moosilaukee and Flume in July.
As a final nice experience we stopped at Mountain Wanderer on the way out. Forester Jake needed a book and since I had already got my quota there the day before I waited in the car. I looked out my rear view mirror and saw a lady standing behind our Subaru taking a picture of the back of the car. She really enjoyed the license plate so I thought I would include a picture.
Well everyone, I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy the trip reports everyone else writes too. It kills this NH boy to close out a trailwork and hiking season, but it grows anew with plans for next year already in the works. I hope you enjoy the link for some pics. I was using a new camera this time.
LIVE FREE OR DIE
http://fishercat.phanfare.com/album/443617#imageID=28547639

KD Talbot
10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
We all appreciate what you do out there FC +Croo. Keep up the good work!
KDT

FisherCat
10-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi KDT,
Hope next year plans work out and we can meet up!

FisherCat
10-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey everyone, I updated the album now that Forester Jake sent pics of the homemade splint. You can check it out if you wish. He said its doing better today but didn't say if feeling has returned yet.http://fishercat.phanfare.com/album/443617#imageID=28547639

forestgnome
10-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the trailwork!

I had a bittersweet fisher cat encounter yesterday. I was walking a logging road after work when I noticed a rabbit running toward me. I took a shot of him, then he saw me and ran into the woods. Moments later I noticed a fisher cat running half-speed up the road from the same direction. I crouched into the ferns to the side and readied the camera. Then he came along and got to about four feet away when I fired a shot. He completly filled the frame and it was a nice angle from the side. I got him in mid-stride.

D'oh!!!! The camera was in manual, instead of the usual aperature-priority and the shutter was set on 2".

So the picture is just white light with absolutely nothing on it, but it was a great close-up encounter. The only other time I've seen one was from a very long distance. Oh well.

happy trails :)

Brad
10-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Keep on "hunting".

KD Talbot
10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I had the same experience with the hawk I have posted on the ophoto page. I was snappin' away, thrilled at my good fortune for having such a close encounter. I never thought to check the settings. It was in manual. The picture there was the only one I coulkd salvage out of about 12, and it is poorly focused. Luckily the vulture was in bright light6 and shot at the right settings.

KDT

FisherCat
10-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Bummer on the fisher potential photo! Most of my encounters were so fast I would never have had time for a camera shot anyway. I remember the first one I saw as a youngster, he shot up a white pine so fast, ran out on a branch like a squirrel and rode it down to another tree, jumped into that one and was gone. It was amazing.