PDA

View Full Version : Observer Comments

Charlie
10-13-2007, 06:40 PM
the link to the pictures is not working can you fix it i cant waite to see how nice it was up there this morning :( :(

Knapper
10-14-2007, 05:14 AM
I believe we fixed it as far as I can tell. But thanks for the heads up.

Charlie
10-14-2007, 09:03 AM
i love them thanks now can some one clean the window for the west cam .if not i may have to make a road trip and do it my self.:rolleyes:

bclark
10-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Glad you like the pictures hawk, it was a breathtaking morning up here. The kind of morning that reminds me of how lucky I am to be working up here.

not i may have to make a road trip and do it my self.:rolleyes:

Come on up and give it a shot hawk, it might be entertaining to watch, haha :)

But yeah, the ice on the windows is a pain because it does not come off easily...I gave it a try once as an intern. The ice that is on there is going to be particuarly slow to come off since there is a nice layer of glaze ice unerneath the rime. Not only that, the rock is at least 10-15 feet below the window, making things much more difficult.

Last year we actually looked into getting heaters for the windows. The type we looked into were the same ones used on aircraft windshields....a sort of film heater. Unfortunately they turned out to be very expensive.

Steve M
10-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Brian, Isn't there a spray they use on aircraft for de-icing planes? Maybe something like that would be a cheaper alternative.

JimS
10-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Glad you like the pictures hawk, it was a breathtaking morning up here. The kind of morning that reminds me of how lucky I am to be working up here.

Come on up and give it a shot hawk, it might be entertaining to watch, haha :)

But yeah, the ice on the windows is a pain because it does not come off easily...I gave it a try once as an intern. The ice that is on there is going to be particuarly slow to come off since there is a nice layer of glaze ice unerneath the rime. Not only that, the rock is at least 10-15 feet below the window, making things much more difficult.

Last year we actually looked into getting heaters for the windows. The type we looked into were the same ones used on aircraft windshields....a sort of film heater. Unfortunately they turned out to be very expensive.

A defense of observers... To remove the ice off the window, you have to navigate an ice scraper on the end of a 30 Foot pole in 50mph winds. Rime ice can be brittle enough for some occasional success, but glaze is just not going to happen.

The good news is that ice tends to dissapear rather quickly on that window from sublimation in dry winds and afternoon sun!

Brad
10-14-2007, 04:10 PM
A defense of observers... To remove the ice off the window, you have to navigate an ice scraper on the end of a 30 Foot pole in 50mph winds. Rime ice can be brittle enough for some occasional success, but glaze is just not going to happen.

The good news is that ice tends to dissapear rather quickly on that window from sublimation in dry winds and afternoon sun!
It sounds like you are a voice of experience here.

Brad
10-14-2007, 04:11 PM
The pictures were awesome! What a wonderful sight.

Charlie
10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
OK i found my job up there ,i can clean windows.:D :D :D

i now see what a job it would be to clean the ice off ,may be some one can come up with some thing .

Brad
10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
OK i found my job up there ,i can clean windows.:D :D :D

i now see what a job it would be to clean the ice off ,may be some one can come up with some thing .
You can use a long hot air hose. Crank up the heater and blow hot air at the window to melt it all.

Patrad Fischroy
10-16-2007, 09:00 AM
You can use a long hot air hose. Crank up the heater and blow hot air at the window to melt it all.

Yeah, by the time the hot air was around an inch from the end of the hose it would be spread all over the place and at ambient temperature. Remember the boiling water to snow video? :rolleyes:

Brad
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, by the time the hot air was around an inch from the end of the hose it would be spread all over the place and at ambient temperature. Remember the boiling water to snow video? :rolleyes:
There seems to be plenty of hot air here on the forum. I am sure we could help.