PDA

View Full Version : Cub Scout weather observation project

Grimesinma
10-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi All,
My name is Monty and I am a Cub Scout Den leader for Pack 95, Den 2 in Westford MA. We were in the N. Conway area yesterday and visited the museum there. We are in the midst of doing a weather-related project and I thought that I would share it. Back in September, we built an crude weather observation station and are using it to observe the weather for the next few months. Each Scout will take the station and make weather measurements at the same time of the day every day for two weeks. Since we have seven members, that translates to about fourteen weeks of observations. The measurements are; temperature, wind direction, rainfall, and current conditions. I am putting the observations into a spreadsheet and plan to give the results at the end of the project. I was wondering if there was anything that we could do to link the project with the Mount Washington Observatory to make it more interesting for the Scouts?
Thanks,
Monty

Bill O
10-15-2007, 08:28 PM
You could share your observations on the forum. Maybe put some graphs together.

Brad
10-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Yes, I would be interested in what the scouts come up with.

Steve M
10-15-2007, 08:39 PM
That would be cool. Make it sort of a presentation of there findings.

Charlie
10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
may be you can do a presentation at the museum when you can get an observer there and they can film it and put it on the OBS cast :D

Grimesinma
10-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. We are still weeks away from completion of the project. I will document the results with graphs and include a couple of pictures as well. I will then post the report here. I would be nice to inspire these boys with a lifelong interest in weather at this young age.
Regards,
Monty

Also, in the Spring, maybe we can come back up and visit the observation station at the top of the mountain.

Brad
10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. We are still weeks away from completion of the project. I will document the results with graphs and include a couple of pictures as well. I will then post the report here. I would be nice to inspire these boys with a lifelong interest in weather at this young age.
Regards,
Monty

Also, in the Spring, maybe we can come back up and visit the observation station at the top of the mountain.
Why wait till spring? :cool:

Rich
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Hey Monty, 1)welcome to the forums 2) what rank are your scouts? We're Bears and will be working on the weather section soon. Look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. Maybe we could do something together like geographical comparisons? Even if we're fairly close it could be interesting? Thoughts?

Grimesinma
10-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey Monty, 1)welcome to the forums 2) what rank are your scouts? We're Bears and will be working on the weather section soon. Look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. Maybe we could do something together like geographical comparisons? Even if we're fairly close it could be interesting? Thoughts?

Hi Rich,
We are Bear rank as well. We are working on Elective 2 on our way (hopefully) to earning the World Conservation Award. There is a lot to it so I have a lot of my Den's activities geared towards these requirements. If I can think about it, I will post a couple of pics from our hiking weekend around North Conway last weekend. We hiked the Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff Trail on Saturday and then the Black Cap Trail on Sunday. We capped the weekend off with a visit to the Mount Washington Weather Museum which is where I got the inspiration to post on this forum

Cub Scout Den 2
Pack 95
Westford, MA

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/881832/Image018a.jpg

Brad
10-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Looks like you picked some great weather for your hike!

Grimesinma
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Looks like you picked some great weather for your hike!
Yep it was gorgeous both days, and those are the little meteorologists-in-the-making. Here is another photo along Frankenstein Cliff Trail:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/881832/Image007a.jpg

Charlie
10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
now that is some nice fall colors

Grimesinma
11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Update from my Cub Scout Den weather project. It's been a mild autumn so far. Attached are the weather observation results up until the end of October.
-- Monty --

Brad
11-13-2007, 04:32 PM
The temperature chart is amazing considering you are in Mass and the time of year!

Steve M
11-13-2007, 11:56 PM
The temperature chart is amazing considering you are in Mass and the time of year!
Yea, and it looks like you got just under 4" of rain for the month. That's about 2" below normal for the month of October.

Grimesinma
11-14-2007, 05:59 AM
Yes, I would have expected at least a slight drop in average temperature. When the November data is entered, there should be a marked dropoff.