PDA

View Full Version : First Mt Adams Ascent

Cor2277
10-15-2007, 04:04 PM
This past weekend was both my first hike in the White Mountains during the fall and my first ascent of Mt Adams. I have climbed Mt Washington about 8 or 9 times so far, all in the summer months. I'm hooked!! This weekend was glorious...if you like cold and ice and snow! We hiked up to Crag Camp Thursday night mostly in the dark, I know not the smartest, but we were prepared. Tough hike I thought! Much tougher than up to Hermit Lake. Friday was spent in the cabin playing the various musical instruments up there and telling stories, a little Scrabble, you get the idea. Too gross and windy and rainy to go out. Saturday however woke us up crystal clear with glaze ice all over the surrounding trees. What a sight!! There were 7 of us in our group and we all headed up toward the summit Sat. morning. Amazing! Totally clear and cloudless on the way up. Able to hike in just a fleece and undershirt! The summit was a different matter though...saw my first live rime ice. Exciting for me! Windy and cold up top, but not as windy as expected....very comfortable! We actually saw the military helicoptors practice rescue landing near the Madison Hut on the other side! All in all, a fantastic trip, aside from the many bruises by all who slipped a few dozen times. Planning another in November hopefully. I'm totally hooked on cold weather backpacking now! I'll be putting pictures of our weekend on my Yahoo site tonight or tomorrow, so if you're interested check back later.

I always get a little upset when I have to leave the serenity and majesty of the mountains and come home to civilization....

FisherCat
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Adams is a great hike, no doubt about it. I enjoy it more than any of the other Presi's. Crag Camp is also a traditional favorite with our family. It's not been the same since they tore the old one down, but change is change, for the better or worse. Any pics? Assume you went up the Spur Trail to Crag?

Cor2277
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp

I finally got some time to put up my pictures on Shutterfly. I also have an album of my pics from a trip to the Tetons this august if anyone's interested....

Brad
10-17-2007, 09:16 PM
is there a link to the pictures that does not require me to get an ID?

Cor2277
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
is there a link to the pictures that does not require me to get an ID?

ok try http://mtadamstrip.shutterfly.com

hopefully that works. if it doesn't i don't know what to do....except give me your email if you really want to see them that bad. I've never used shutterfly before. Sorry!

Steve M
10-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the pics of your trip. Looked like a lot of fun. I especially liked the ones of the snow and ice.

Brad
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
There are some wonderful pictures in there. Please submit some to the Photo Journal!

FisherCat
10-17-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree! Nice layout with snow/ice/rime and foliage below. Good job!

Cor2277
10-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks!!!! I love taking pictures and I would like to take classes to learn more about photography and really get into it. But these pictures don't even begin to show how gorgeous the ice and snow was on the trees and the trail. It was an amazing weekend! And I did submit one of the pics of Mt Washington to the photo journal and also my favorite....the one of the frozen pine needles :) hopefully one of them gets picked!!

Brad
10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks!!!! I love taking pictures and I would like to take classes to learn more about photography and really get into it. But these pictures don't even begin to show how gorgeous the ice and snow was on the trees and the trail. It was an amazing weekend! And I did submit one of the pics of Mt Washington to the photo journal and also my favorite....the one of the frozen pine needles :) hopefully one of them gets picked!!
How about a MWO sponsored photography class? We have some good folks here who could teach it for sure.

FisherCat
10-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Since your in NJ, keep an eye on Philadelphia, go to the Nikon website, they offer some workshops in Philadelphia about 2 or 3 times a year.

KD Talbot
10-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Man, I am really jealous of your trip. It was so beautiful! You may not think the pictures did it justice, I never think mine do, but IMHO I think you captured the beauty quite well. Thanks for sharing even though now I'm thinking of loading my pack and heading there right now!

KDT

Steve M
10-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Man, I am really jealous of your trip. It was so beautiful! You may not think the pictures did it justice, I never think mine do, but IMHO I think you captured the beauty quite well. Thanks for sharing even though now I'm thinking of loading my pack and heading there right now!

KDT
Keep it up, Kevin!

Cor2277
10-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I would loooove to take classes on photography from someone at MWO...the 8 hour commute would suck though!

And thanks for the info about Philly. I'll look into it. Definitately alot closer than MWO! But I'm probably just gonna take a summer course at the local community college...cheapest way I think.

I'm glad everyone has loved my pictures so much! The trip really made me want to go up this weekend too, but we're going to Boston. Hopefully we'll be going back in November again with the same friend and another girl. I can't wait!