PDA

View Full Version : Yellow X....

dizzymac
10-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Why do one of the OBS deck pavers have a "yellow X: painted on it?

Steve M
10-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Why do one of the OBS deck pavers have a "yellow X: painted on it?
I'm not sure but did you notice the cracked one?

Gorque
10-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Because they didn't have any red paint.

billysinc
10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I think that's where Youk's homerun landed from the game last night

Knapper
10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
The yellow "X" is where observers are to stand to make an asessment of the horizontal visibility. We stand on the "X" and based on what visibility markers we can see from that spot, we determine and report the visibility in our reports. Now it should be noted that, weather permitting, we walk around the deck and double check what we saw from the "X" especially when we are short (ie: me), rime ice can block our views over the railing at times. It should also be noted that it is mainly for low visibility reporting.

Brad
10-22-2007, 02:14 PM
The yellow "X" is where observers are to stand to make an asessment of the horizontal visibility. We stand on the "X" and based on what visibility markers we can see from that spot, we determine and report the visibility in our reports. Now it should be noted that, weather permitting, we walk around the deck and double check what we saw from the "X" especially when we are short (ie: me), rime ice can block our views over the railing at times. It should also be noted that it is mainly for low visibility reporting.
Ah - so being low of stature is good when doing low visibility reporting. What tasks do the tall people get? :cool:

Steve M
10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Ah - so being low of stature is good when doing low visibility reporting. What tasks do the tall people get? :cool:
Higher altitude temperature readings!:rolleyes:

Knapper
10-22-2007, 11:15 PM

They get to change our light bulbs, paint the ceilings, remove ceiling tiles, get things off high shelves and get knocked down more easily in higher winds much to my amusements. In all seriousness, this past patriots day nor'easter, Jim and I woke our intern up early because he was a couple inches taller than us which was just enough to deice the instruments without getting injured. So it was found that height does work to ones advantage in deicing.

dizzymac
10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply Knapper....now about that cracked paver.....:)

Mike D
10-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Working on top of Mt Washington allows short people to feel bigger than the kids that made fun of them in gym class. :)

Steve M
10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Working on top of Mt Washington allows short people to feel bigger than the kids that made fun of them in gym class. :)
lol, that's me exactly!!! The short guys get to replace the cracked pavers also!:)

Brad
10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Does anyone remember the high wind event that happened in July several years ago? Because the pavers were not frozen together some lifted and were moved on the deck. I recall they weigh about 80 pounds. That may have cracked a paver.

Charlie
10-23-2007, 08:18 PM
no that is cracked because people think they have to jump up and down when they are looking at the deck cam :D

Steve M
10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
no that is cracked because people think they have to jump up and down when they are looking at the deck cam :D
Was that you or Rosie that posted that comment???

Knapper
10-25-2007, 05:29 AM
I don't know how you can see the cracked pavers from the web cam images but more power to y'all. But I thought I would explain some reasons why I know some are cracked. First, they are concrete and not solid rock. Anyone familiar with concrete knows that with age/time concrete weakens and with one freeze thaw cycle, crack or crumble. Second, experiments that the obs perform for organizations can be quite heavy. If you look back this past spring, you will see one such test that had three giant towers on our deck. Those were quite heavy and if the winds created enough movement, another crack. The last reason that I have been told cracked a few was mentioned earlier in this thread, the winds at times have lifted these squares and flung them across the deck like a game of catch. And anyone that remembers grade school knows that squares do not fly or land very well when thrown. So those are the three main ones that I know about.

Steve M
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
And I thought they were cracked from having people on the deck that had eaten too many chili dogs. So much for what I know.:rolleyes:

EricJ
11-09-2007, 08:49 AM
And I thought I was nuts, for noticing the yellow 'X' back in September. But, it coincided with The Weather Station's visit, so I brushed it off. It's good to know the real reason for it, because I thought it bold of them to deface the deck. Ha, Now I can get on with my life.