PDA

View Full Version : Is the top open to winter climbers?

donnellyvj
10-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I know that good weather is coming. When I say good I mean windy, cold, and some sort of frozen precipitation:D . We made it to the top last weekend 10/14/07. 50 mph winds with a 6 f windchill and some snow. I had too much fun. Planning a trip in November.
My question is can climbers enter the top indoor area in the winter? Thanks for the info!

Bill O
10-23-2007, 06:17 PM
No, the state park building is closed to the public.

Charlie
10-23-2007, 07:52 PM
all the buildings are closed on the top except for extreme emergency

Brad
10-23-2007, 07:58 PM
all the buildings are closed on the top except for extreme emergency
I am afraid a cup of hot chocolate and a chili dog is not an emergency. How about wanting to take pictures from inside to get a different perspective?

The answer is the top is open. The buildings are closed.

Charlie
10-23-2007, 08:26 PM
The answer is the top is open. The buildings are closed.

true very true

Steve M
10-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I've been pondering the idea of opening my own vending booth on the summit for the winter months while the Sherman Adams building is closed for the off season. I think I should do well with the occasional hikers who will be starving by the time they reach the summit and there are the observers and interns who will get sick of all those home cooked meals and will want to splurge on junk food once in a while. So what do ya think? Do you think the State Park will go for it???;)

donnellyvj
10-24-2007, 08:37 AM
I say go for it. Nice to get all the information. Not sure what some of it means? If you need help with the stand let me know. I am always down for a new business venture. hehe. Can't wait for the trip anyway.

I have not been up this late yet. Thinking of taking lions head for safety reason. It seem to be this least challanging route i have taken to the summit. I really dont want run into major ice over on tucks trail. any suggestions????

kaseri
10-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Lion Head Winter route is the most common way to ascend Washington. I say go via Lion Head Winter route a few times & then you can try some of the other routes through Tucks.

If you would like a partner feel free to contact me. I'm always up for a summit attempt.

Charlie
10-24-2007, 06:40 PM
the top is closed for the winter but if a MWO member goes up there can they still get in for a tour :D

Bill O
10-24-2007, 06:56 PM
the top is closed for the winter but if a MWO member goes up there can they still get in for a tour :D

This may be true, but I think members are supposed to pre-arrange a winter visit.

Brad
10-24-2007, 07:43 PM
This may be true, but I think members are supposed to pre-arrange a winter visit.
And bring a snow shovel to help.

Steve M
10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
And bring a snow shovel to help.
If I'm hiking to the summit in winter I don't think I want to be hiking with a snow shovel...I'll just borrow their's.

Knapper
10-25-2007, 05:46 AM
So working on the summit here are my two cents. The summit is closed to all hikers. The only way to gain access to the building is:

1. Edutrips
2. EMS guided hiking trips
3. Day trips through the obs
4. Become a volunteer on the summit
5. Work with the observatory or one of our partnerships
6. Work something out with state park - it is their buildings not ours

I read on this thread saying we give tours to members. This can be accomodated but, you must make contact with the summit staff or valley staff well in advance before hiking (weeks not hours). If things are ok'd, we will let you know how to proceed. But this is not a common practice of our members, most wait til summer. And member or not, we will just boot you out if you barge in without prior arrangement.

Another thing I want to touch on in the statement that we let people in in emergency situations. I want people to understand that emergency means broken bones or other extreme medical situations. If you start late and arive late, we will usually boot you down the auto road, weather permitting. If you planned improperly, there is always the chance we may bring higher authorities in that may charge fines or want compensation. We like to say we are the "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" set up.

As for setting up a cocoa stand, I tried that as an intern and had a few takers but I have only seen this done twice in my time here as something to fill the time. So it is not a regular occurence.

Brad
10-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Ryan, good recap. We might just have to change the cocoa stand to Mountain Blueberry coffee and there would be a few takers from this forum right away.

Another way of defining emergency - an event you would never want to dream about being in - ever.

JimS
10-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Great Recap Ryan...

The truth is that the building is closed. Closed means closed. Exceptions are as listed!

I would add though, that when members did schedule visits well in advance, I always enjoyed the company, the trail conditions and the stories of the walk up. So if you are a member, and you do schedule well in advance, you should definately take advantage of this member perk!