PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Scott Provost
10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm an intermediate hiker, but haven't done any SERIOUS hiking. Next summer I plan to do some hiking in the Whites, including Mt. Washington. I have read the thread "Whats in your pack" and read the responses. But, I was wondering if anyone had any advice about anything involving the Whites. I'm aware of being more than prepared for changing weather, but other than that, any advice? Where can I get good detailed maps? Thanks for any help.

Steve M
10-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm an intermediate hiker, but haven't done any SERIOUS hiking. Next summer I plan to do some hiking in the Whites, including Mt. Washington. I have read the thread "Whats in your pack" and read the responses. But, I was wondering if anyone had any advice about anything involving the Whites. I'm aware of being more than prepared for changing weather, but other than that, any advice? Where can I get good detailed maps? Thanks for any help.
Go to the MWO giftshop online and get the AMC White Mountain Guide book. It's a great resource with 4 trail maps of the Whites. Actually here's the link:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_7_9

If you get it here your purchase will benefit the Observatory!

FisherCat
10-29-2007, 10:41 PM
The AMC White Mountain Guide is a must have, but this you probably already know/have. If not any purchases made thru this website benefit the Observatory.
That being said great books and advice can be found at the Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln right on Rt. 112, the Kanc, Steve Smith being the shopkeeper is an indefinite volume of knowledge.
There is also a vast amount of experience here, just post a question about your route, when you're going, etc.

stearnzie
10-30-2007, 06:25 AM
I would say that the best map that I've found to date is the "White Mountain Trail Map" by Map Adventures. It offers a couple of helpful insets in areas of numerous junctions, very up to date trail names, mileage between "benchmarks" such as trail junctions or points of interest, and most slick of all, a waterproof coating!

Along with a map, you just need to get out there and experience it. If you plan to go with someone (highly suggested...company in the woods is good when you're starting off), tackle something slighlty more ambitious than you would going alone. Since you technically don't know your limits yet, you need to find them, so don't be ashamed to turn back or shorten your route plan. And as always, ALWAYS leave your trip details with a friend, family member, etc. This should include your exact planned route of travel, time you expect to be back, and any other important details about what you're planning.

Definitely check out what kinds of books you can buy through this site, too, as the proceeds benefit the OBS. Reading about the trails, mountains, history of the area, even the mishaps (as detailed in books like "Not Without Peril, by HOWE) can be very enlightening...careful, you'll get obsessed like a certain someone did some time ago...:o

Scott Provost
10-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the help. Cant wait to get started, well, after the snowboarding anyways. Im in fairly decent shape, so I'm not too worried about limits, although I should still be aware of them. But I'll be sure to post future endevours for more info.

Steve M
10-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the help. Cant wait to get started, well, after the snowboarding anyways. Im in fairly decent shape, so I'm not too worried about limits, although I should still be aware of them. But I'll be sure to post future endevours for more info.
Don't forget to come back and post a trip report and some pics.:)

Scott Provost
10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Definitely will. I need to start using my toy (Minolta D7 DSLR) a little more anyways.

stearnzie
10-30-2007, 07:38 PM
It adds a ton of weight to my pack, but I ALMOST always pack my camera, too...

...Scott, do you live in NH? Either way, do you ride mostly at any particular ski mountain, or do you do mostly backcountry?

Scott Provost
11-01-2007, 07:06 AM
I actually live in Ma., but I ride mostly in Vermont (Stratton, Okemo). I usualy make a few trips to Mount Sunapee every year though. A camera is a must. when I ride just keep my point and shoot with me, but when I hike I keep my DSLR close.

RobertRogers
11-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I agree, the AMC guidebook is required baggage. But also with the map bring and know how to use a compass.

kaseri
11-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Solid compass skills are a must for anyone who plans on being in the mountains. Prior to your outing get a good map & plan out your route. Take a few bearings of various points along your intended route and write them down on a piece of paper using a sharpie. Take that piece of paper and place it in your map case along with your map. If the weather takes a turn for the worst you will have the correct bearings available to you in an instant. This can help you get to safety and could very well save your life.