PDA

View Full Version : Five Degrees this morning

treant985
10-29-2007, 10:41 PM
The low of five this morning wasn't just the coldest so far at MW this season, but it's also one of the coldest readings this season in the lower 48:

Oct 5: 0 at White Mountain, CA
Oct 6: -1 at White Mountain, CA
Oct 22: -3 at Hohnholz Ranch, CO; -1 at Shirley Basin, WY; -1 at Walden, CO; -1 at Gould, CO; -1 at Lake George, CO; 2 at Antero Reservoir, CO; 5 at Fraser, CO; 5 at Bailey, CO

So outside that one very cold morning in Colorado, that 5F reading is only behind White Mountain, CA, for coldest reading this season. White Mountain recorded 0F on a day in June earlier this year!

By the way, the coldest temp recorded in Alaska so far is -26 at Arctic Village, on Oct 26th. It was -20 this morning at Chandalar Lake!

treant985
10-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I think there's another NC person around here somewhere...Jefferson, NC, clocked in at 21F this morning due to radiational cooling. Boone was at 23F this morning.

Not counting Alaska, CO sites above 8000ft, or unpopulated areas, Jefferson, North Carolina, was the nation's cold spot this morning....

Brad
10-31-2007, 06:09 AM
I work in NC. Yesterday it was colder here in Durham, NC than in Bridgton, Maine.

Steve M
10-31-2007, 09:23 AM
I work in NC. Yesterday it was colder here in Durham, NC than in Bridgton, Maine.
It was in the low 50's here in Florida.:)

Charlie
10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
It was in the low 50's here in Florida.:)

you better get out your big winter coat :D thats cold in the south :D :D :D

Brad
10-31-2007, 06:34 PM
you better get out your big winter coat :D thats cold in the south :D :D :D
Time to go waterskiing.

Steve M
10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, for some of you in the north country, by February you will be looking for a place like Florida to thaw out. Well, maybe not this year since it doesn't look like winter is going to happen this year. Global warming and all...:eek:

Trekker
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
More likely I'll be heading north, into Canada, this February, looking for snow . . .

treant985
11-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Could get some snow up around Beech and Grandfather this coming Tues and Wed. Ray predicted a warm and drier than average winter, so hopefully he'll miss it (he did last year ;) )

Steve M
11-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't think we will be traveling north to find snow this winter. Not enough funding for the project.:(

Charlie
11-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't think we will be traveling north to find snow this winter. Not enough funding for the project.:(

then we will send some down to you :D

Steve M
11-04-2007, 10:14 AM
then we will send some down to you :D
Awesome! A couple of dump truck fulls in the front yard would be great. Thanks!:D

Charlie
11-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Awesome! A couple of dump truck fulls in the front yard would be great. Thanks!:D

i was thinking of a container full ,but you would have to bring it back to life when it gets down there . it will be in its other form by the time it gets to you.:eek:

Brad
11-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Could get some snow up around Beech and Grandfather this coming Tues and Wed. Ray predicted a warm and drier than average winter, so hopefully he'll miss it (he did last year ;) )
Another person who follows Ray's Weather web site. www.raysweather.com

Steve M
11-04-2007, 05:02 PM
i was thinking of a container full ,but you would have to bring it back to life when it gets down there . it will be in its other form by the time it gets to you.:eek:
So your gonna bring me the liquid equivalent, eh...well send a snow machine with it as well.:D

treant985
12-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Kinda related to this thread....does anyone know where to get self-registering thermometers that can read below -50F? I found ones on novalynx that register the min temp down to -50F, but they say they don't have anything that goes lower.

I'd like to use a glass thermometer like that in case the digital one messes up for some reason. It would be located in a remote area, so I couldn't fix it if it messed up, but I'd still want to record the min temp for the winter.

I read an article in the NY Times that says that some Canadian observers have thermometers that go to -90F, although I can't seem to find anything like that. Alcohol thermometers don't freeze until like -90F or -100F or whatever, so it's just finding a thermometer that's actually graded to such low temps and that can register that minimum.

Any ideas?

Brad
12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Have you thought of going with a digital thermometer? Here is information on one as an example.

Obsolete item; call Digi-Key for more information.

Technical/Catalog Information ADT70GR-ND
Standard Package 74
Category Sensors, Transducers
Family Temperature
Vendor Analog Devices Inc
Voltage - Supply 4.5V ~ 5.5V
Package / Case 20-SOIC
Packaging Tube
Output Type Rail-to-Rail
Sensing Temperature -200°C ~ 1000°C
RoHS Status RoHS non-compliant
Other Names ADT70GR
ADT70GR-ND

For my driveway melt system I just ordered a temperature module (http://www.controlbyweb.com/temperature/specs.html) which comes with one Dallas Semiconductor probe. I added 3 more to the order. Add in a wireless bridge and I have a remote temperature sensing system for 4 places on my melt system - temp of the water going out, temp coming back - for each of the 2 zones. The temp module is IP network based and it has a web server in it so you can get at the readings from a browser - in my case, from inside the house or from NC. The temp probes I am getting go down to -55C to +125C (which is -67F to 257F).

Want to come over next week and help me set this up and "gain experience"?

treant985
12-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Are there any digital ones that will record the lowest temp they observe until they're reset?

Brad
12-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Are there any digital ones that will record the lowest temp they observe until they're reset?
This unit has an XML interface. So, you could grab the numbers and do anything you want with them later - offline.

hobbes
12-21-2007, 07:04 PM
I have some of the DS1820s running through a 1-wire network to a serial port (USB also available) on a computer for in-home temp monitoring of multiple rooms. They work well and were easy to install as there was already a home intercom system using CAT5 with a free twister pair. DalSemi also used to sell a 1-wire weather station which is pretty slick (AAG Electronica now sells them).

If you search around, you'll find instructions for adding a 1-wire port to a Linksys router, providing wireless connectivity. I'm also fiddling with building a remote, solar-powered unit for 1-wire.

For even more fun, hook it up to a TINI.

Brad
12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
The wireless network bridge is installed and a web camera is plugged in. So, I am ready for the temperature module when it comes.

Toys are good.