PDA

View Full Version : Cell Service?

a3dad
11-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know how cell reception is on Mt Washington and the other presi mountains? I use AT&T (cingular) and verizon. Do these carriers work? Any others?

Thanks,
Kevin

Brad
11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I am on AT&T and at times on the summit I have had a signal. But, most times nothing. I have seen a signal on and off when coming up Lions Head. But, generally with AT&T I would not count on having a usable signal.

FisherCat
11-05-2007, 10:22 PM
My brother, lives in Gorham, and at times has had reception on MT W. He has Unicell, I believe.

Bill O
11-06-2007, 07:00 AM
I use Verizon and have had good luck, especially on the summit. Some spots are obviously better than others. Consider it a novelty when it works, but don't rely on it.

kaseri
11-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Verizon service here & I have spotty coverage @ best. Doesn't bother me though. I go to the mountains to get away from stuff like my cell.

Steve M
11-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I use Verizon and On the summit I have service but Hiking up the mountain it is hit or miss. As Bill said, the last thing you should ever rely on would be a cell phone in case of emergency.

Magpie
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I have Cingular/AT&T and it drops as soon as I'm in the parks. Works on summitt of the rock pile but thats is it. No towers and to many cols. Don't count on GPS either. Ive had that drop also, but my GPS is cheap. The cab drivers in Lincoln and N Conway use USCell ?
Hope that helps
:)

Bill O
11-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Don't count on GPS either. Ive had that drop also, but my GPS is cheap.

It must be your GPS as the signals they emit are highly reliable. Better than six sigma or about a 1 in 1,000,000 chance they fail. Now, thick forest canopy and steep valleys may limit performance but this shouldn't be a problem on the White Mountain ridges.

Charlie
11-06-2007, 05:23 PM
i have nextel and you have to south east side of the deck for it to work and one or to other spots in side but that was it .

Brad
11-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I have Cingular/AT&T and it drops as soon as I'm in the parks. Works on summitt of the rock pile but thats is it. No towers and to many cols. Don't count on GPS either. Ive had that drop also, but my GPS is cheap. The cab drivers in Lincoln and N Conway use USCell ?
Hope that helps
Hmmm, GPS dropping on a summit would be odd to me. In a ravine, sure. Unless it is "GPS" done through the cell towers and not real GPS.

a3dad
11-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Does the OBS broadcast weather alerts on NOAA?

Bill O
11-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Does the OBS broadcast weather alerts on NOAA?

NOAA broadcasts weather from the OBS.

a3dad
11-07-2007, 08:04 AM
NOAA broadcasts weather from the OBS.

I guess that is the more correct way of saying it Bill ;) Thanks.

How's the signal in the Whites?

JimS
11-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Very good actually, a few deadspots in cols and cataracts, but otherwise good...

Mike D
11-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Interesting... I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask about Weather Band reception in the mountains. If you're spending a long time in the Whites, such as hiking the A.T., this makes sense.

a3dad
11-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Interesting... I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask about Weather Band reception in the mountains. If you're spending a long time in the Whites, such as hiking the A.T., this makes sense.

3 days - 2 nights starting Monday. Looking at the forecast snow is expected through Tuesday. Just want to know what to expect... Never too prepared - RIGHT?

FisherCat
11-08-2007, 10:37 AM
My brother, lives in Gorham, and at times has had reception on MT W. He has Unicell, I believe.
My mistake, he has US Cell, not Unicell. Surprisingly when he travels outside New England his service is pretty bad.

Trekker
11-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I use Verizon and if you stand in the bulging center part of the observatory windows I CAN get a signal - fairly reliably. I also got reception on Lion's Head, but not always . . . spotty at best for the mountains . . .