View Full Version : Tuckerman Ravine 11/10/07

KD Talbot
11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/tucks111007.jpg
11/10/07

Tuckerman Ravine 4500'

5.6 Miles 2600' Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy and Emma

Our plan was to hike on Sunday, but on our way through Pinkham Notch on Saturday we couldn't resist stopping and making the hike up to "The Bowl" in Tuckerman Ravine. Conditions were perfect with bluebird skies, light winds and manageable temps. The hike started out on dry ground, but about a mile in we found patches of ice, then patches of snow, then finally packed snow. We passed many bluejeans, sweatshirts and sneakers along the trail. I guess this is OK, as long as you have enough sense to turn back at Hermit Lake. I'm not too sure how smart it is hiking in ice and snow in sneakers. Sure, you could still slip and fall in boots, but a boot certainly gives you more support and diminishes the chances of turning or spraining an ankle. A lot more insulation in a boot, too. Enough of that. This was our first hike of the season where there was enough snow to consider what our equipment should be. We bare-booted to "The Bowl" with no difficulty, not enough snow yet for snowshoes. There had been the remains of a light dusting on our last hike, 11/3/07 to Garfield, but this was winter condition hiking even though the calendar says winter is still 40 days away. Snow brings new life to an otherwise drab landscape. The grays and browns now covered in brilliant white removes the depressing lack of color that late fall can bring. The trees covered in snow gives everything that Christmas feel, even though it's not Thanksgiving yet. We had started late, so we stayed until the shadows crept up the ravine walls and swallowed the crags above us, then began our trek out in the late afternoon light. As we made our way back down the Tuckerman Ravine Trail it was as though we journeyed backwards through time to a place where winter had not yet taken hold. The calendar may still say November, but on the summits and in the ravines of northern New Hampshire the winter fun has already started!

Pictures here:

http://ghostflowers.com/white_mtns3000/tuckermanravine111007/tuckermanravine111007.html

More tomorrow.
KDT

Steve M
11-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Awesome, thanks for that...It won't be long and all those trees will be lost to the depths of the snow. My only request is you bring a video camera with you and get some live footage.:D

donnellyvj
11-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes, Thanks I just got that warm fuzzy feeling reading this post. :p It was a Great weekend to be on the Mountain. Sunday around 7am Tucks was catching the sun just right. All aorund the ravine shined of a gold color that held me in a gaze for quite sometime. I had to move on when my boby reminded me this walk was to warm up from a chilly yet great night sleep. WHAT A DAY:D

EricJ
11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you for the latest Tuckermans picture and your great writeup had me day dreaming.

Bill O
11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for sharing. I never get to see those transition seasons. Its a mystery to me how Tuckerman Ravine goes from a giant cliff with waterfalls to a snow filled bowl.

Brad
11-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Sounds like Bill O put a challenge out there for us all. Who can get to the same spot in Tuckermans and take a picture - then do it again throughout the winter? It would be nice to have it monthly. Weekly would be awesome to see the transitions. Who is up for this?

Is this something we can do together? We all use the same spot and same zoom setting on the camera.

spyboy
11-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Hike up with a gps & a compass, so you can mark your spot and direction.

If I lived closer, I'd do it :)

Kirk

Sounds like Bill O put a challenge out there for us all. Who can get to the same spot in Tuckermans and take a picture - then do it again throughout the winter? It would be nice to have it monthly. Weekly would be awesome to see the transitions. Who is up for this?

Is this something we can do together? We all use the same spot and same zoom setting on the camera.

Steve M
11-13-2007, 11:45 PM

Yea, I'll be right up...which week do you want me there for???:rolleyes:

Brad
11-14-2007, 06:31 AM
We need to pick the spot for a picture that is reasonable as the weather varies. After you go past HoJos - pass the pond - there is a rise with an outcropping up on the right. Take the picture from there? If several folks can take a picture from there this weekend with different zoom settings we can select one that is 1) a good view and 2) others who could take pictures during the winter also have a lens to do it.

Hmmm, I might give it a try Thanksgiving morning.

Who will be up there this weekend?

KD Talbot
11-14-2007, 06:51 AM
No need for GPS. I took those shots from the first aid cache just above the Little Headwall. I suppose one could go a little further to get the bottom of The Bowl, but if all we're shooting is the Headwall, this spot would be fine. By the way, the snow rangers post weekly pictures at:

http://tuckerman.org/photos/photos.htm

Although they haven't started this season, yet.

Thanks for the comments, and Brad, don't stop at The Bowl, come on up for dinner, I'm sure your family would understand.

KDT

Brad
11-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Kevin,

Please e-mail that picture above as an attachment to mwo+tucks2007@fotki.com

Then others can send their pictures from the same location to this e-mail address throughout the winter and we can watch the change.

KD Talbot
11-14-2007, 06:57 AM
You'll have to wait until I get home, though, unless you can capture it. Feel free. See you at dinner!:)

KDT

Brad
11-14-2007, 07:08 AM
No need for GPS. I took those shots from the first aid cache just above the Little Headwall. I suppose one could go a little further to get the bottom of The Bowl, but if all we're shooting is the Headwall, this spot would be fine. By the way, the snow rangers post weekly pictures at:

http://tuckerman.org/photos/photos.htm

Although they haven't started this season, yet.

Thanks for the comments, and Brad, don't stop at The Bowl, come on up for dinner, I'm sure your family would understand.

KDT
Getting to the cache could be hard for some folks in the dead of winter. Actually it is a great spot with a wide angle lens.

I would love to join you and the folks at the summit for dinner. Oh, how I wish. I will be in Maine that day on my own. Son and his family in Buffalo - daughter and her family in NC - wife helping her sister in Ohio - my sister joins me in Maine the day after Thanksgiving. So, if the weather is good, Thursday might be a hike day if I can get up north earlier in the week.

Brad
11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
You'll have to wait until I get home, though, unless you can capture it. Feel free. See you at dinner!:)

KDT
It is posted at http://public.fotki.com/MWO/saved/misc/2007-tuckermans/