PDA

View Full Version : ABC's GMA Visit

Rich
11-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I bet it'll be pretty exciting to have the ABC crew up there this weekend, hectic too.

http://www.mountwashington.org/news/release.php?id=26

Staff, please try to take pictures...you know...the behind the scenes type of shots.

Oh, and in the press release it was mentioned they want to learn about the OBS staff..... if that's the case, you have GOT to show them the "Thriller" video! Maybe they will air it?!

JimS
11-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Monday looks appreciably cold and moderately breezy...the mountain should put on an impressive, but manageable show!

Bill O
11-15-2007, 01:14 PM
It looks to be very cold over the weekend, maybe they will be breaking out of the clouds Monday morning, that would be great.

Hopefully they'll shoot in the wind over the weekend in case it does down for the live show.

spyboy
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I would love it if they shot in HD. All the morning shows are HD but their "on location" shots are older equipment, so it's (ewww) lowdef!

Whatever the case, I've got my hidef capture box set to record for monday morning :)

Kirk

Brad
11-17-2007, 02:15 PM
The picture with the Comments this morning tells it all. They brought a lot of stuff!

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/comments/2007/111713-lg.jpg

Bill O
11-17-2007, 02:20 PM
What is all that stuff? Looks like they are setting up a link down to the valley.

KD Talbot
11-17-2007, 02:23 PM
You kids better have all that junk out of my writing nook before Wednesday!

KDT

Brad
11-17-2007, 03:15 PM
You kids better have all that junk out of my writing nook before Wednesday!

KDT
I can't believe you are lucky enough to get to the summit - and for Thanksgiving too! I am hoping to get to N Conway on Weds - and will wave at you.

Knapper
11-17-2007, 03:48 PM
What is all that stuff? Looks like they are setting up a link down to the valley.

You are correct with the second statement. They are not only shooting segments for GMA, they are setting up a live link with the valley for Mondays live segments. They are using a combination of the polycom link as well as transmitters parked at the base of the auto road.

As for weather, they shot various extreme weather shots yesterday and today I was told because as of now, Monday is looking to be a "nice" possibly blue bird day, which is good and bad. Good because it will show our views. Bad because it fails to show the weather we are known for. But now we will just have to play the waiting game as to what happens.

Steve M
11-17-2007, 06:07 PM
You are correct with the second statement. They are not only shooting segments for GMA, they are setting up a live link with the valley for Mondays live segments. They are using a combination of the polycom link as well as transmitters parked at the base of the auto road.

As for weather, they shot various extreme weather shots yesterday and today I was told because as of now, Monday is looking to be a "nice" possibly blue bird day, which is good and bad. Good because it will show our views. Bad because it fails to show the weather we are known for. But now we will just have to play the waiting game as to what happens.
Hopefully you will get a combination of weather for their enjoyment.

Bill O
11-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I know they are looking for extreme weather, but live shots in the fog can't be good for tv. I think a clear morning will look great on tv, and they should be able to mix in some good extreme weather shots from this weekend.

Don't be too nervous on the summit. Only 5.25 million people will be watching.

Steve M
11-17-2007, 11:31 PM
I know they are looking for extreme weather, but live shots in the fog can't be good for tv. I think a clear morning will look great on tv, and they should be able to mix in some good extreme weather shots from this weekend.

Don't be too nervous on the summit. Only 5.25 million people will be watching.
I agree, a blue bird day would show the mountains for their majesty and beauty. A day in the fog would be just that...foggy.

JimS
11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I found a video link to the main story...

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3885374

I like how they captioned it...
"View from the worst place on earth"
We should almost take offence to that one!

spyboy
11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
It was nice seeing a clear day up there. But I guess they were hoping for bundled up, falling down, snowing sideways type shots.

EricJ
11-20-2007, 08:36 AM
We only saw the first ABC Good Morning America weather segment from Mount Washington. Are there links to see all the video segments? Thanks

P.S. Of all times for it to be calm!

Bill O
11-20-2007, 10:42 AM
It would have been a disaster if it was anything but clear and calm. Imagine if it was windy and foggy. Sam would have been stuck in the sheltered areas, there would have been no view, and the cameras might not even work. That makes for great live television.

Anything over 50mph and Sam would not be able to stand and talk at the same time. And the fog, think of the view inside a ping pong ball. Would you rather have the view inside a ping pong ball or 75 mile visibility, undercast and the sun glinting off the Atlantic?

Besides, they had every opportunity to shoot wind and fog over the weekend. Which I am sure they did, but decided against using it.

Bill O
11-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Has anyone ever done a live broadcast from the summit like that in the past?

I can't recall, and my guess is no. At least nowhere near the quality demanded by network tv.

Edit: Nice job holding the cat Paul. I think you and Nin had more exposure than anybody else that morning.

JimS
11-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Has anyone ever done a live broadcast from the summit like that in the past?

I can't recall, and my guess is no. At least nowhere near the quality demanded by network tv.

Edit: Nice job holding the cat Paul. I think you and Nin had more exposure than anybody else that morning.

WGME 13 in Maine did a live last year, with former observer and current GME Meteorologist Charlie Lopresti on the summit for a few days. Now that they know it can be done, I'm sure this won't be the last visit!

spyboy
11-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Does it take 3 days to get all the gear back down the mountain?

Bill O
11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
WGME 13 in Maine did a live last year, with former observer and current GME Meteorologist Charlie Lopresti on the summit for a few days. Now that they know it can be done, I'm sure this won't be the last visit!

Couldn't they link directly to Portland?

Bill O
01-12-2008, 07:19 PM
WCBS in New York just aired a short MWO clip with their local weatherman and Jim Cantore. It was good, looks like the didn't have much wind though.

h2oeco
01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
A week or so ago, some MWO clips were included in a show on the Weather Channel, including a few segments of Brian being interviewed.

Ed