PDA

View Full Version : Mooning the Cog?

EricJ
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I heard on the news today, eight people have been charged with 'Mooning the cog'. Any comments,questions or confessions? No pictures please.

On a recent, chilly morning, waiting to board the train, James Hamilton, of Cohasset, Massachusetts, had a theory about the mooners’ motivation.

“Well, I guess this goes along with the original history of the train, which was when the Marshes decided to build it, I believe they called it The Railway to the Moon. Perhaps those chaps, lads and lassies, who might have been exposing their nether regions were history buffs.”

For NHPR News, this is Chris Jensen.

spyboy
11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Maybe there were lycanthropes on the train and they were afraid "full moons" would make them change :)

KD Talbot
11-15-2007, 07:21 PM
This is old news, not sure why the AP picked up on it today, this happened in June or July. Slow news day I guess. It's nice to know that all the major crime problems in the state of NH are solved and the police can now concentrate on the important work of giving these people lifetime placement on the sex offender list.

This whole thing has been beaten to death in other hiking forums. I think it more likely people are mooning the Cog because it is belching rotten smelling black smoke across the mountain tops. Ever try to hike downwind of it? I've smelled it at Hojo's miles away and thousands of feet below. You're gasping for breath by the time you reach the parking lot.

It is time for a change. Switch over to some cleaner fuel or shut it down.

KDT

Steve M
11-15-2007, 07:28 PM
This is old news, not sure why the AP picked up on it today, this happened in June or July. Slow news day I guess. It's nice to know that all the major crime problems in the state of NH are solved and the police can now concentrate on the important work of giving these people lifetime placement on the sex offender list.

This whole thing has been beaten to death in other hiking forums. I think it more likely people are mooning the Cog because it is belching rotten smelling black smoke across the mountain tops. Ever try to hike downwind of it? I've smelled it at Hojo's miles away and thousands of feet below. You're gasping for breath by the time you reach the parking lot.

It is time for a change. Switch over to some cleaner fuel or shut it down.

KDT
I must agree. If the AMC can switch to natural gas or propane to fire there fireplaces then the cog can change too.

Rich
11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Hydrogen cells, man!

Personally, we don't support the Cog in any way.

However, I probably would moon it!

Mike D
11-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Remember, the human body is shameful and should be covered always lest someone see what we were all given at birth. :) I agree with KD, there are many more important matters facing law enforcement, but that's just my opinion.

Trekker
11-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Mooning is harmless, children's fun!
Bravo for those eight who have a sense of humor!
And how many people on the train took pictures? I'll bet more than a couple!!
And they all had a good laugh . . .

Bill O
11-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Mooning is harmless, children's fun!
Bravo for those eight who have a sense of humor!
And how many people on the train took pictures? I'll bet more than a couple!!
And they all had a good laugh . . .

Except for being on the state sex offender registry. I'm guessing it doesn't go into detail as to why you are on the list. So your name is up there right next to rapists.

What's the real story here? Did something get left out? The punishment does not fit the crime. It seems like higher courts would toss this out in an instant.

Mike D
11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Except for being on the state sex offender registry. I'm guessing it doesn't go into detail as to why you are on the list. So your name is up there right next to rapists.

What's the real story here? Did something get left out? The punishment does not fit the crime. It seems like higher courts would toss this out in an instant.

The sex offender registry was brought up in this thread, but it was not mentioned in the AP story I read. Does anyone have a link to a relevant news story?

Gorque
11-16-2007, 06:22 PM
:eek: If mooning is a "sex crime", the the college kids is Bennington better start covering up. ;)

KD Talbot
11-16-2007, 08:38 PM
The AP story I read missed the whole point, that the police were actually handing out citations for mooning. They handed out 8. They were $125 fines. I'm looking for a link to a relative news story. In the meantime, here's a quote from VFTT'r Waumbek:

""Cheeky hikers moon Cog"
No, not today, a bit cold for that. This is the title of an article by Edith Tucker in current Salmon Press North Country newspapers. It answers some questions about jurisdiction--state police vs. USFS--raised in the long September '07 thread, "mooning the cog train on Washington." I cannot link to the article because it is accessible to subscribers only, so below is a paragraph-by-paragraph paraphrase, which does not infringe upon copyright. I am always fascinated by the interest in this subject and the culture clash it represents, and I'm equally interested in the fact that this stale news is running two months late, in mud season, or is it running late in mud season because of the subject?

"Cheeky hikers moon Cog" paraphrase:

1. Near Skyline Switch on two weekends at the zenith of tourist season, late August and early September, a special detail of NH state police from Troop F apprehended hikers who mooned the Cog.

2. Undercover NH state police, disguised as hikers, gave out federal [sic]summonses to several mooners. [See paragraph 8 below for state-federal matter.]

3. Disorderly conduct summonses were given out on the first weekend.

4. On the second weekend, public nudity summonses were given out

5. Demographics of those who were summoned: all men but one, most were AT hikers, some were AMC members.

6. Cases are now being processed in federal court.

7. Cog owners complained about the problem to police and USFS/WMNF.

8. USFS is able to hire and reimburse off-duty state police by means of a
"cooperative law enforcement program."

9, 10. Problem has been growing. Parents don't like it; retirees don't like it; cog employees don't like it.

11. Hiking websites and AT blogs have spread the word about undercover police and the summonses for mooners, and police hope that this will stop the activity next summer.

End of paraphrase."

Indecent exposure/public nudity puts you on the sex offender list. Next they'll be after hikers peeing in the woods. For anyone that doesn't believe this is happening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiofluid/1315190599/

You can go to:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/index-vftt.html

in the Q&A New England section of the forum look for " Mooning the cog train on Washington" thread started 9/6/07.

KDT

Gorque
11-16-2007, 09:07 PM
This is getting better all the time. I could only get this snippet from a pay news site (http://www.cooscountydemocrat.com/1sectionbody.lasso?-token.folder=2007-11-07&-token.section=14737.112113&-nothing).

THOMPSON AND MERSERVES PURCHASE - A special detail of state police officers from Troop F spent time at the height of the tourist season on successive weekends in late August and early September nabbing cheeky hikers who "mooned" passengers on the Mount Washington Cog Railway in the alpine zone, not far from the Skyline Switch

:D ROFL A special detail from F-Troop, probably led by Corporal Agarn and most likely driven there on a short yellow bus, to apprehend those "heiny"ous moonies. What a waste of precious resources. So what's the motto of New Hampshire? :D

Bill O
11-16-2007, 10:40 PM
There's my answer. There is indeed more to this story.

Its a chronic problem that has passed the point of being funny. Especially for the Cog employees who constantly see it.

Does it mention anywhere how far away the mooners were from the Cog? Initially I imagined they were off on a distant trail barely visible to the naked eye. But, now I'm guessing they were much closer than that. Probably to the point where you could see way too much detail.

It sucks that these individuals had to set the example in the sting, that's life.

Gorque
11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
You're right, it does suck that the 1st Amendment of the Constitution was trampled upon by New Hampshires *cough* finest.

We can burn the flag, issue forth expletives, burn effigies and even pose next to NVA AAA during a time of war, but show your heinie in the ages old display of disapproval , :eek: and it's off to the county klink.

And not only that, because you've decided to expose your derriere in a form of protest, you are now, supposedly (I've been searching, but haven't been able to locate any reference to this), labelled a sex-offender!

And all so some well-heeled, nose-in-the-air socialite can enjoy a bit of "the outdoors" by taking the cog up up the top and "roughing it". I do hope no stilettoed heel was broken when the bared heinie was viewed. Lord knows the discomfort and ridicule it would have brought about to have to hobble about on the top. :cool:

Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves at this desecration of the principle of social protest guaranteed by the Constitution.

BTW: No heinie was bared in the typing of this posting.

Well, not that you would know. :D

jill elizabeth
11-16-2007, 11:45 PM
haha...this is funnny stufff.
but slightly nasty. . .
that is what some of us college students do
when we are bored. :D

Steve M
11-17-2007, 06:37 AM
You're right, it does suck that the 1st Amendment of the Constitution was trampled upon by New Hampshires *cough* finest.

We can burn the flag, issue forth expletives, burn effigies and even pose next to NVA AAA during a time of war, but show your heinie in the ages old display of disapproval , :eek: and it's off to the county klink.

And not only that, because you've decided to expose your derriere in a form of protest, you are now, supposedly (I've been searching, but haven't been able to locate any reference to this), labelled a sex-offender!

And all so some well-heeled, nose-in-the-air socialite can enjoy a bit of "the outdoors" by taking the cog up up the top and "roughing it". I do hope no stilettoed heel was broken when the bared heinie was viewed. Lord knows the discomfort and ridicule it would have brought about to have to hobble about on the top. :cool:

Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves at this desecration of the principle of social protest guaranteed by the Constitution.

BTW: No heinie was bared in the typing of this posting.

Well, not that you would know. :D
Next people will be mooning the MWO webcams.:eek: :p

KD Talbot
11-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I'll be up there Wednesday!

No, now that's out of line. There's no protest there, except maybe to the intrusion of privacy webcams bring to the world. Big Brother has arrived.

To my knowledge of events no mooners were arrested, just given $125 fines. Indecent exposure/public nudity will put you on the sex offender list, but I'm also not positive that this has happened to any of these individuals. Although I have heard it has, I still take everything I read on the web with a good dose of cautious disbelief until I can verify it somewhere else. So, I guess I shouldn't be spreading the rumor that these people are now on the sex offender list, though I have read that they are.

KDT

mk10
11-17-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm going to go to the base of the railway and, when no one is looking, stick this sticker:
http://www.carstickers.com/prodimages/447.gif
onto the back of one of the coal cars. :D

Gorque
08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Do any of the locals know about what the disposition was of the dastardly mooners?

M_Six
08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Mooning the train is much easier than training the moon.

Just sayin'. ;)

Steve M
08-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Mooning the train is much easier than training the moon.

Just sayin'. ;)

Watch it. I got chastised for puns like this.:D

Brad
08-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Watch it. I got chastised for puns like this.:D
Was this supposed to be "... for buns ..."?

Steve M
08-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Was this supposed to be "... for buns ..."?

I thought "moon" light on a train would be romantic.